Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 12 « First<678910>Last »
Topic Options
#3247056 - 05/15/13 10:10 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Woodsman87 is spot on again. The two best gobbling days this year on my plsce it was 32 and 34 degrees. The birds were still DONE the last week of season like every other year. The hens were setting at the same time as every other year. Temp has nothing to do with turkey mating cycles.

#3247083 - 05/15/13 10:31 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
Woodsman87 is spot on again. The two best gobbling days this year on my plsce it was 32 and 34 degrees. The birds were still DONE the last week of season like every other year. The hens were setting at the same time as every other year. Temp has nothing to do with turkey mating cycles.

There is a point when they do get DONE as some of you say, and for the most part the last week of the season is pretty tough to find gobbling birds. But I let one go the last day, do not ask me why, I just didn't shoot or pursue. He was gobbling and strutting. I killed one May 10th that was gobbling and strutting. I am like most of you that it isn't as good during the last week, but some gobblers still gobble looking for hens.
From April 20th to 30th is my personal favorite time to hunt. Lots have hunters have quit, and the hens are mostly sitting. First week of May is usually decent, and then opening weekend. I only like opening weekend because they aren't spooked up alot. Other than fresh birds and my first hunt of the season I do not like opening day. No cover, henned up, and billions of other hunters spooking turkeys everywhere.

#3247150 - 05/15/13 11:47 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
hayman
4 Point

Loc: paris tn

For what it is worth I sure don't agree with shooting hens for any reason I have passed up bearded hens. If there comes a time when it is proven to be too many I might change my mind.

Maybe not a good comparison but I raise cattle and if I am wanting to increase the size of my herd I have never went out in the pasture and shot my cows and heifers.

#3247189 - 05/15/13 12:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: hayman]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: hayman
For what it is worth I sure don't agree with shooting hens for any reason I have passed up bearded hens. If there comes a time when it is proven to be too many I might change my mind.

Maybe not a good comparison but I raise cattle and if I am wanting to increase the size of my herd I have never went out in the pasture and shot my cows and heifers.

Haha, makes total sense to me.

That is why I keep asking the question, why does TWRA continue to allow hen shooting in places that the population is obviously declining? My guess is they are just un-informed about the areas.

#3247209 - 05/15/13 01:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Does anyone know how Ft Campbell did this year? They used to be covered in birds a few years back when I hunted it. They were bonus birds for spring and fall I believe. It used to be a great hunt, but it got more difficult to get an area so I gave up hunting their.

Reason I ask is because it seemed they wanted to get rid of all the birds with the liberal limits, of course if they dont open up many areas then reaching that quota is difficult.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3247216 - 05/15/13 01:18 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I disagree I think weather has a big effect on mating and the last 2 springs should prove that.. Mating and gobbling are to different things. Good cool mornings are good gobbling weather.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247220 - 05/15/13 01:23 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
Roost 1
10 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker
Does anyone know how Ft Campbell did this year? They used to be covered in birds a few years back when I hunted it. They were bonus birds for spring and fall I believe. It used to be a great hunt, but it got more difficult to get an area so I gave up hunting their.

Reason I ask is because it seemed they wanted to get rid of all the birds with the liberal limits, of course if they dont open up many areas then reaching that quota is difficult.

Prolly one of the worst harvest on record. 192 total and lots of areas open each weekend. Like everywhere else there wasnt a bunch of 2yr olds which makes for less gobbling and harder hunting. The last weekend had the highest harvest of the whole season. Many reasons for this such as it was beautiful weather instead of raining and lots of the gobblers had lost their hens. But overall if was a very tough year at the fort.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247223 - 05/15/13 01:25 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
Roost 1
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Roost 1

Prolly one of the worst harvest on record. 192 total and lots of areas open each weekend. Like everywhere else there wasnt a bunch of 2yr olds which makes for less gobbling and harder hunting. The last weekend had the highest harvest of the whole season. Many reasons for this such as it was beautiful weather instead of raining and lots of the gobblers had lost their hens. But overall if was a very tough year at the fort.

Let me add....the harvest has went down each year since the limit was raised to 4...All areas there cant handle a 4 bird limit. Harvest totals were higher when the limit was 2 and/or 3.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247225 - 05/15/13 01:27 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

I disagree I think weather has a big effect on mating and the last 2 springs should prove that.. Mating and gobbling are to different things. Good cool mornings are good gobbling weather.

Science proves that length of day has everything to do with mating. Give me some facts about breeding around weather and I will see to it then.
Turkeys gobble to call up mates. Common sense there.
Weather may have a factor on gobbling, for instance, a cold cloudy, windy, rainy, day will probably not have the same gobbling as a 35 degree blue-bird early April morning.
Just because they ain't gobbling don't mean they aint breeding.

It is about lenght of day as far as mating goes.

#3247227 - 05/15/13 01:28 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Let me add....the harvest has went down each year since the limit was raised to 4...All areas there cant handle a 4 bird limit. Harvest totals were higher when the limit was 2 and/or 3.

Harvest limits effect on the population have minimal effect on the actual population. Science also proves that.
Saving gobblers obviously helps some because you still have 3 or 4 year old left over. I agree that maybe we should bring the limit down, but it will not be a quick fix like we all think.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/15/13 01:30 PM)

Page 8 of 12 « First<678910>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (HUNTTNKY, drrxnupe, whatnoise) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.