Tndeer Logo

Page all of 12 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3245318 - 05/13/13 08:30 AM Numbers droping ?
Mad_Max_66
4 Point

Loc: Scott Co.

Tennessee hunters put the wraps on the 2013 spring turkey season today. Some numbers could still trickle in, but preliminary data from the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency shows that 32,693 turkeys were harvested statewide, just about 4% below the 2012 spring harvest of 34,020 despite what was by most accounts a difficult hunting season. In Scott County, 225 turkeys were harvested — well below the record spring turkey harvest but just one bird shy of last spring.

Wondering what's going here in Scott co.?

Notre Dame #1

#3245328 - 05/13/13 08:48 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Mad_Max_66]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Possibly some check stations not switching over to the new system.

...since last deer season

#3245340 - 05/13/13 09:14 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I think they are dropping, more significantly in isolated spots though.
The new checkins may be appearing to cause flaw in harvest numbers, but I believe the decline is still real, and have been saying it since 2009 or so.

#3245502 - 05/13/13 01:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Since the record kill numbers of 2010 the statewide kills have been declining every year. It's not the check stations. Statewide we are down 13% since 2010 and it's getting worse. Interestingly enough Maury county is going up every year. Maury is up 35% since 2011. That might prove my point in another thread about turkey hunters from other areas hunting there more and more. Like I said, the surplus can only last so long when the rest of the state is down and those hunters decide to hunt the hot spots. Something to think about.

#3245523 - 05/13/13 02:21 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Fentress Co. is down 30% since a high in 2010. Harvest is pretty well equal to 2009 levels now. Im afraid the hatch wont be much this year so I expect worse.

#3245552 - 05/13/13 03:26 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: smstone22]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

Ive said it several times, something is going on, all across the state.

#3245780 - 05/13/13 08:55 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
tickweed
10 Point

Nor can I. I will bet the season limits will change, it will be interesting to see. I wish someone from TWRA would give us some insight.

#3245814 - 05/13/13 09:33 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

If limits need to change I'd say the fall limits should, but I think the reason they are so high is because not many people fall hunt so you can kill more. I enjoy killing 6 in one county but would rather have it lowered to 4 or 3 than have the spring limit lowered. But in Maury county here the population seems pretty good to me.

#3245968 - 05/14/13 06:57 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: tickweed
I will bet the season limits will change, it will be interesting to see. I wish someone from TWRA would give us some insight.
Not TWRA, but this redline document leads me to believe the bag limits for next spring will be the same as this season. Refer to Section IV. General Regulations for Spring and Fall Turkey Harvest, C. Spring Turkey Bag and Possession Limits on page 8.

http://tn.gov/twra/procs/biggameredline.pdf

With that said, the redline is not the final word and the TWRA is soliciting comments for the 2013-14 hunting seasons’ regulations proposals. This is an opportunity for the public to share their ideas and concerns about hunting regulations with TWRA. The public comment period concerning the 2013-14 proposed hunting seasons regulations will be open until May 27, 2013.

Edited by Andy S. (05/14/13 07:53 AM)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3245990 - 05/14/13 07:40 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

I say lets stop shooting jakes
other than the young sportmans hunt

BOOM

#3246002 - 05/14/13 08:02 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

I'd like to see the Fall Turkey hunts discontinued.
#3246025 - 05/14/13 08:19 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Lawrence
I say lets stop shooting jakes
other than the young sportmans hunt
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
I'd like to see the Fall Turkey hunts discontinued.
screw that!

#3246038 - 05/14/13 08:26 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
woodsman87
8 Point

Killing Gobblers in the spring doesn't do much to lower the population. Of course it does decrease it some, but most of the hens are already bred by the time turkey season opens. I would still like to see a 2 or 3 limit gobbler, but I think it is still ok to shoot 4. Since most of the hens have already been bred, we are shooting surplus turkeys. Just because you see a gobbler with several hens, and he breeds them, doesn't mean that is their first time. I do not know why, I guess they like to, but they continue to breed even after their eggs have been fertilized. They don't start sitting on their eggs until their clutch is complete. In my area for most hens its the last week of April every year, doesn't matter the weather.

Killing hens in fall should be abolished. It isn't anything like deer management, and we should have as many hens as possible. I am not a scientist, and I don't have the numbers, but they are probably about the same number of hens and gobblers, maybe more gobblers. Remember, hens mortality rate is high, because they sit on thier nest all night and day. Hay cutters get alot of them, and people bushhogging this time of year get them too. Some of that could and should be avoided, especially by the bush hoggers.

#3246043 - 05/14/13 08:30 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

We cant just drag down alot of the state because some areas are still doing great like Maury Co. We have to divide it up into units, thats the best way I can see that would also not upset the hunters in the high population areas. The NWTF has that Conserve word in their motto, they need to get involved in a big way. It takes alot of pressure to get much done. Everyone that wants to conserve the turkey population needs to send in their comments before May 27th and contact your wildlife commissioner.

#3246048 - 05/14/13 08:31 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Overall, I wouldn't mind the limit going down to 2 or 3, and I also would be for not shooting hens in the fall. I enjoy fall turkey hunting, but do not shoot the hens. I think maybe there should be a bag limit of 4 gobblers, combinnded fall and spring seasons, and statewide.
And I don't think jakes should be off-limits. Although I don't shoot them, I think its ok for people to take a jake. Look at the harvest numbers, jakes account for a very very small percentage of the total harvest. That is the least of our worries right now.

varmints, hogs, feral cats, and feral dogs, should be shot.

#3246054 - 05/14/13 08:35 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: smstone22]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: smstone22
We cant just drag down alot of the state because some areas are still doing great like Maury Co. We have to divide it up into units, thats the best way I can see that would also not upset the hunters in the high population areas. The NWTF has that Conserve word in their motto, they need to get involved in a big way. It takes alot of pressure to get much done. Everyone that wants to conserve the turkey population needs to send in their comments before May 27th and contact your wildlife commissioner.

I agree 100%. I would love units. Maury county should be 4 gobblers, but everywhere else shouldn't. My place in Giles should be 1 or 2. I just think it will be so hard to do units. Not 15 miles away to the north, they are having breakout numbers, and my areas are getting slimmer every year. IT doesn't appear to be different woods or habitat either.

I think it is cyclical, and birds move alot.

#3246065 - 05/14/13 08:44 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I don't think hen killing should be abolished, think about it, do we want the population exploding to nuisance levels? I though part of wildlife management was to keep the population in check. We kill females of every single other game species, now why should turkeys be excluded where their population is healthy? Some areas might need a few extra birds thinned out and some might still need to grow... I like the fall hunts going by county. I wouldn't mind the fall bag limits lowered if they had to, but hope to never see the day when fall turkey hunting is eliminated. Just my 2 cents, I'm not a biologist either. Also Maury county is not the only loaded with turkeys. Marshall county would probably beat Maury if it were the same size, but its a much smaller county. It has at least the same density of turkeys if not more, from what I've seen. Probably several other counties that are booming in middle TN.

#3246069 - 05/14/13 08:50 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Lawrence
8 Point

I still dont understand and I have said this before
that the limits are set before we see how the hatch has done
You cant continue to kill 6 per county in the fall and 4 in the spring if Tn has a poor hatch.

BOOM

#3246079 - 05/14/13 08:58 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
I don't think hen killing should be abolished, think about it, do we want the population exploding to nuisance levels? I though part of wildlife management was to keep the population in check. We kill females of every single other game species, now why should turkeys be excluded where their population is healthy? Some areas might need a few extra birds thinned out and some might still need to grow... I like the fall hunts going by county. I wouldn't mind the fall bag limits lowered if they had to, but hope to never see the day when fall turkey hunting is eliminated. Just my 2 cents, I'm not a biologist either. Also Maury county is not the only loaded with turkeys. Marshall county would probably beat Maury if it were the same size, but its a much smaller county. It has at least the same density of turkeys if not more, from what I've seen. Probably several other counties that are booming in middle TN.

But you haven't seen low turkey humbers like some of us others have. Maury and Marshall can probably stand with a little hen killing. Honestly, this is just me, but I love turkey hunting so much I want turkeys to be a "nuisance." It is weird me even saying that about them.
They ain't like deer, thats the reason why we shouldn't shoot the females. Read what I said earlier. Gobblers get shot by us, but hens get killed by everything else on the nest, plus all the other animals and weather that kill eggs. Also, hens get killed by us in October.
You talk about we shoot females in every other game animal. Squirrels and Rabbits you can't tell. Deer management needs it. Don't have a clue about elk, sure its like deer and moose and stuff.
I am not a duck hunter, so correct me if wrong. When duck hunting, cant you only kill one hen out of a bag of 4? something like that?
Pheasant hunters out west, I am pretty sure that they only shoot the roosters.
You cannot tell much by a bob white, unless you are close.

So basically the only game animal we shoot both sexes for around here are deer. I am not familiar with elk or bear.

#3246085 - 05/14/13 09:04 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Didn't the fall limit state wide used to be only like 1 turkey during bow deer season either sex, and that was pretty much it? All the other fall hunting was quota only? There may have been a shotgun fall season during december, but it wasn't the ridiculous 6 hens per county?
I wonder if the all the sudden spike in hen killing during the fall the last few years has anything to do with it?

#3246104 - 05/14/13 09:38 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Lawrence
8 Point

Funny thing about Tn IS the liberal bag limits
I remember when I first moved here from Mo. I was like
YOU CAN KILL 11 BUCKS IN ONE SEASON

Another thing about our turkeys here in Tn
is we sell a ton of Out of State tags
because of our early dates and liberal limit
hunters from MO, KY, OH, IL, flock here to get a start
before their seasons start

BOOM

#3246109 - 05/14/13 09:43 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

I will NEVER understand why any turkey hunter would be so helll bent on killing hens. Cat, you bring up the same points every discussion. Do yourself a favor and read some of Dr. Lovett Williams' work. Until you educate yourself you can't understand. You CANNOT compare turkey biology to deer or anything else! There are NO SIMILARITIES in the two!

#3246113 - 05/14/13 09:50 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

I dont think it is so much the early season and liberal bag limits. Alabama starts earlier and has more liberal limits.
But I have hunted both states alot. And I would have to say that Alabama people hunt Tennessee because it is simply better hunting, especially better than North AL. Tennessee should be one of the top turkey hunting states in the nation. It is, or was, unbelievable.

#3246115 - 05/14/13 09:53 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
I will NEVER understand why any turkey hunter would be so helll bent on killing hens. Cat, you bring up the same points every discussion. Do yourself a favor and read some of Dr. Lovett Williams' work. Until you educate yourself you can't understand. You CANNOT compare turkey biology to deer or anything else! There are NO SIMILARITIES in the two!

Exactly right. Turkeys and Deer are different animals, therefore we cannot treat them the same. Hopefully not, but One day Maury county will probably be down like its southern neighbors. Too much hen killing, but more importantly, too much positive press on the internet. I have never hunted Maury or Marshall, but after reading how good it is I am thinking about going up there next year, and so does everybody else around here.

#3246118 - 05/14/13 10:02 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Lawrence
8 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

I dont think it is so much the early season and liberal bag limits. Alabama starts earlier and has more liberal limits.
But I have hunted both states alot. And I would have to say that Alabama people hunt Tennessee because it is simply better hunting, especially better than North AL. Tennessee should be one of the top turkey hunting states in the nation. It is, or was, unbelievable.

Yea but Im not talking about AL
I am talking about our northern states
Try driving around any WMA during the first week of season and
look at the license plates of the people hunting. Talk to the hunters and they will tell you why they choose to hunt here. Cheap over the counter liceses and LIBERAL limits
No state north of TN have 4 bird limits.
TN needs to get out of this liberal state of mind IMO

BOOM

#3246120 - 05/14/13 10:09 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

Yea but Im not talking about AL
I am talking about our northern states
Try driving around any WMA during the first week of season and
look at the license plates of the people hunting. Talk to the hunters and they will tell you why they choose to hunt here. Cheap over the counter liceses and LIBERAL limits
No state north of TN have 4 bird limits.
TN needs to get out of this liberal state of mind IMO

Agreed. I have no knowledge of the northern states except Kentucky.

#3246130 - 05/14/13 10:26 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
woodsman87
8 Point

http://tn.gov/twra/procs/biggameredline.pdf

Pretty good stuff I believe. I still stand by my arguement that lowering spring gobbler bag limit would not help much, but I would still be okay with lowering it some.
I am all for the suggestions of lowering the fall limts. But I still think that if Maury and them keep killing 6 hens that it will go down too. I think hens should be protected year round. Gobblers only during fall.

#3246151 - 05/14/13 10:48 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

For those of you who regularly hunt both TN & KY, in which state do you experience the better turkey hunting?
#3246201 - 05/14/13 12:15 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

If you don't want to kill hens then don't kill them. I think only a small handful if people kill hens in the fall and most don't kill the 6 bird limit. Look up the harvest reports for fall season in Maury county. I'd be more worried about too many people coming to hunt because they heard its good than people killing a few hens. I pretty much have the place to myself when I fall hunt public land.

#3246240 - 05/14/13 01:02 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

171 turkeys were reported last fall season in Maury County, more than some counties spring seasons. 103 of those were hens. That doesn't sound like alot, but in the big scheme it is. That doesn't count the ones that will get bushogged or turned into hay either. And the ones shot illegally when misteaken for gobblers. And all the bearded hens that will be killed just because they had a beard. And all the ones that will get run over by a car. Then the few coyotes and bobcats that catch them. Then after all of that, the ones that do survive have to raise a brood. Right now studies show that only two poults per hen survive. That isn't very many young birds.

It is not about not wanting or wanting to shoot hens. It is about getting everybody on the same page. I will not shoot six hens, because I think it is wrong. That doesn't stop anybody else from shooting six hens. Some people do it because it is legal and it is simply something to kill and brag about. Six hens or poults in fall are easy to kill, especially flock shooting into a flock of small 5 month old poults. Turkeys are not like deer, they cannot opt to move at night because of pressure. If anybody wants to kill six turkeys one day, find a hardwood acorn ridge that they use alot, or find a spot they like to roost, and wait until they come by and shoot six of them in one shot.

Let me say this, I do not think shooting hens in the fall is the sole purpose that caused the decline. I am saying it is hurting some, and that is a factor that we as conservationist can control. We cannot control the weather at all. There is only so much we can do to get rid of varmints and predators. We can control by creating better nesting habitat. We can also not bushog until all eggs are hatched. If you cut hay, then that is just part of it, I understand hay must be cut this time of year.

The whole country aint like Maury county, and I believe most places will never be like what we are seeing there now. I have hunted alot of places around here, and there are places in the southeast U.S. that are experiencing declining numbers, as well as places that seem to be going up, Maury county TN is one of those. Some of the places I have been do not have fall hen hunting, that is why I think that isn't the only reason. We need to control what we can, and hen killing is one of those things.

Until you turkey hunters experience not having many birds to hunt, you may not understand this and my passion to keep the wild turkey.

#3246248 - 05/14/13 01:07 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Woodsman87, you can share my campfire anytime. It is refreshing to hear someone that actually researches facts and truths before spouting off opinions. Everything you have said here is spot on and agrees with the research of the best turkey biologists on the planet. Some people either know more than those biologists, or are so bloodthirsty they choose to ignore facts.

Seriously, poults? Who in their right mind would shoot a poult? Everyday I read something else that amazes me.

#3246249 - 05/14/13 01:09 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Hopefully not, but One day Maury county will probably be down like its southern neighbors. Too much hen killing, but more importantly, too much positive press on the internet. I have never hunted Maury or Marshall, but after reading how good it is I am thinking about going up there next year, and so does everybody else around here.

Here too. My bunch is already planning a trip for early spring season as well as many other guys I know. Kamikaze longbeards seemingly behind every tree will make a man drive 3 hours!

#3246250 - 05/14/13 01:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Shoot hens in the fall if you want. I just wish TWRA, if possible, could regulate more about what areas can withstand a little hen shooting. If possible to research, every year and every county or unit should be different. Right now I believe my spots should have zero hen killing. Maybe ten years from now it will look like Maury Co. and be able to take some hen hunting. Maury then might be like the southern most counties and have about 1 gobbler and 7 hens per 2,000 acres like it is around here.
#3246261 - 05/14/13 01:16 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Woodsman87, you can share my campfire anytime. It is refreshing to hear someone that actually researches facts and truths before spouting off opinions. Everything you have said here is spot on and agrees with the research of the best turkey biologists on the planet. Some people either know more than those biologists, or are so bloodthirsty they choose to ignore facts.

Seriously, poults? Who in their right mind would shoot a poult? Everyday I read something else that amazes me.

I am just passionate about the wild turkey. I may sound contradicting, but I like to kill gobblers as much as I like to see them live! and that is why I like them to thrive, because I like to hunt them. I think you would agree with me, you had some on the ball post as well.

About poult shooting, I may have exagerated there, not sure when they are quit being called poults, but I know during the fall shotgun season most of the so called "hens" people kill are nothing more than poults. They are inbetween 4-6 months old, and look like a wild turkey, but then again still have some of the poult characteristics. You can hardly tell jakes from hens. And these turkeys weigh like 8-10 lbs. Not hardly worth shooting and eating when you can kill a 20 lb longbeard in the fall too, and it is much much much more challenging.

Fall turkey hunting for hens poults is about as easy as squirrel hunting.
Hunting Longbeards during the fall is a little more tough.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/14/13 01:17 PM)

#3246270 - 05/14/13 01:20 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Another thing, I aint got one negative thing to say about fall turkey hunting except that you can shoot hens and poults. Maybe if we would quit shooting the hens and poults, some turkey hunters may have more longbeards to hunt during the spring, or if ones desire like myself, to hunt longbeards during the fall.

I am a turkey conservationist and a turkey hunter. I hunt longbearded gobblers during the spring and fall. I do not shoot hens. I deer hunt so that I can watch turkeys.

#3246287 - 05/14/13 01:34 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Here is some info on the TN fall turkey harvest.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/fallturkeyreport.pdf

#3246298 - 05/14/13 01:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

Loc: Hardeman

content Online
Anyone have contact information for the appropriate person (Wild Turkey Program Coordinator) to connect with in West TN?
#3246300 - 05/14/13 01:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
woodsman87
8 Point

Catman,
That is all the info anybody needs. The population is declining in most areas, so why would we want to keep shooting hens? Even in the population increase areas? You know that it aint going to increase for eternity?
Let me say this again, hen shooting aint the sole purpose in it. But it is a factor that we can control, why not fix it? Why not make it illegal since hen turkeys and poults already have a hard enough time living anyways?
I suggest hunters slack off on the hen shooting while the getting is still good and before it gets bad. Doesn't everyone enjoy hunting longbeards in the spring?
Since there are only 2 poults per hen, wouldn't we need every hen to live and raise her two poults?

#3246302 - 05/14/13 01:49 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

Originally Posted By: catman529
If you don't want to kill hens then don't kill them.

How do you distinguish male from female turkeys during the fall?

If you had the choice, would you rather call up a gobbling, strutting longbeard, or simply shoot one walking by or feeding (one that is not gobbling or strutting)?

171 turkeys were reported last fall season in Maury County, more than some counties spring seasons. 103 of those were hens.

Killing mostly hens during the fall turkey season is not isolated to just Maury County. STATEWIDE, (TWRA data 09/01/2012 thru 12/31/2012) there were 935 male turkeys "checked in" and 1,676 hens "checked in".

It would appear that "fall turkey" hunters kill MOSTLY HENS.

#3246305 - 05/14/13 01:55 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
woodsman87
8 Point

Its hard to tell them 5 month old birds apart. Sometimes the jakes will already be a little bigger, and their breast feathers will be darker, and hed a little more red.
I also like shooting them when they gobble and strut, not walking by eating acorns or clovers. So much easier to ambush them during the fall.

#3246311 - 05/14/13 02:05 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Boll Weevil]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Boll Weevil
Anyone have contact information for the appropriate person (Wild Turkey Program Coordinator) to connect with in West TN?
It is my understanding that Chris Hunter is the TWRA Turkey Program Coordinator for the entire state. He might be a good place to start if you have questions or concerns.

I saw where Chris posted this on another hunting forum. "Chad Harden (TWRA turkey biologist in West TN) a call. The office number in Jackson, TN is 731-423-5725"

FWIW, I've spoke with Chad and shared email a few times over the years, top notch guy.

Edited by Andy S. (05/14/13 02:09 PM)

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3246335 - 05/14/13 02:16 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

The last page of the fall turkey hunting report shows a good sign that things look to be going up. Hopefully, that is the case.

The thing that gets me is this: I live on some my hunting land. I am there everyday. I do not understand how biologist say we have a healthy turkey populations, when they all estimate it with suitable habitat. 90% of the turkeys in my county live 15+ miles north of me. It used to not be that way. from 1997-2006 you saw turkeys daily. They have either just completely moved or died off.
No change in habitat or management techniques amongst me or neighbors except maybe a house here or there.

The only changes I know of are these:
1) more liberal fall and spring bag limts.
2) Armidillos are seen almost everyday
3) wild hogs have been around the general areas since about 2007.
4) Feeding wildlife "deer" corn is very popular because of the game camera industry so people can see how big of a buck they are going to kill this year, only to never see him during the day.
5) the popularity of predator hunting. Yes I said it, shooting coyotes can effect in a negative way. Coyotes kill the animals that eat the eggs. Coyotes do eat nesting hens, but that isn't the main problem of them.
6) and rainfall. What I think is the most important factor of all. If I am wrong on this, please correct me. The past several nesting seasons have been way wetter than normal. Rain fall causes hens to produce more oil on their feathers, making them smill stronger for predators or nest getting varmints. Excessive rain fall the first 2 weeks of a poults life kills many, not becuase of drowning, but because of freezing to death. When the eggs get excessive rainfall after rainfall, not only could the flood and go away, but the pours in the eggshells absorb bacteria. This causes eggs to not hatch, or the poults to be very unhealthy when they do hatch.

#3246340 - 05/14/13 02:19 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

As far as comparing deer to turkey biology, the reasons we kill deer from a control standpoint is to reduce car collisions, reduce crop damage, and keep them from running out of food. Turkeys don't cause car wrecks, and their diet is so diverse they can survive on almost anything. There is no chance of turkeys becoming a nuisance. Once a whitetail deer in TN gets out of spots, he has no natural predators. Everything in the woods wants to eat a turkey. The predadation and survival rates are not even related. Honestly, comparing deer and turkey biology makes about as much sense as comparing turkey biology and great white shark biology.

#3246342 - 05/14/13 02:21 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

As far as comparing deer to turkey biology, the reasons we kill deer from a control standpoint is to reduce car collisions, reduce crop damage, and keep them from running out of food. Turkeys don't cause car wrecks, and their diet is so diverse they can survive on almost anything. There is no chance of turkeys becoming a nuisance. Once a whitetail deer in TN gets out of spots, he has no natural predators. Everything in the woods wants to eat a turkey. The predadation and survival rates are not even related. Honestly, comparing deer and turkey biology makes about as much sense as comparing turkey biology and great white shark biology.

Good post about comparing the two, that they are not even comparable!
I wish we had as many turkeys as deer.

#3246361 - 05/14/13 02:46 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

I got it! Why dont they raise the price of license (especially for out of staters) and lower the all bag limits and we all will be happy!

#3246369 - 05/14/13 02:55 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: CAMARO12
TWRA used to conduct annual poult to hen ratios per county and publish the results but when was the last time anyone saw those in print??

I don't know, but I would like to see the documentation of that for about the past 10 years. And then wonder why if recruitment is worse every year, why let people continue to shoot hens?

#3246385 - 05/14/13 03:13 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Lawrence
8 Point

TWRA used to conduct annual poult to hen ratios per county and publish the results but when was the last time anyone saw those in print??

I don't know, but I would like to see the documentation of that for about the past 10 years. And then wonder why if recruitment is worse every year, why let people continue to shoot hens?

not only hens but why continue to keep a 4 bird limit in the spring. A bird is almost impossible to kill (to call in ) when he is surrounded by 12-15 hens

BOOM

#3246387 - 05/14/13 03:14 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
Lawrence
8 Point

Do a search for "TWRA Big Game Harvest Report 2011-2012" and go to the turkey section. There's a lot of good information there going back to the mid-80's as for as harvest numbers and brood surveys and the like. Hardeman County killed 952 birds during the 2004 spring season and the annual spring harvest has been down in the 600's from 2006-2011. It dropped to 546 in 2012 and 460 this year. I'd like to hear an explanation as to why this steady decrease has occurred.

You cant tell me its because of less hunters
Now days everyone turkey hunts

BOOM

#3246394 - 05/14/13 03:22 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
woodsman87
8 Point

I don't think it is because of less hunters. The reason why we started seeing the spike was because turkey hunting became cool. Turkeys have populated well, but also more people hunt therefore numbers are inflated. I miss the old days when there wasn't many other turkey hunters and everybody just deer hunted.

Dont get me wrong on this, if you put your time in and truly enjoy the sport of turkey hunting, by all means go and shoot some turkeys in the head. I do not like the hunters that are casual about turkey hunting, and people that go out and shoot gobblers just to kill and are not proud of it should be ashamed of themselves. Also the hen and poult murderers out there that kill because they can and although easy to kill, they like to brag about their accomplishments and introduce new turkey killers to the sport of hen and poult killing.

I love hunting with people that have a passion for wild turkeys like I do, and frown upon the casual turkey hunters.

#3246398 - 05/14/13 03:25 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
Lawrence
8 Point

I would like to see the season 4 weeks and not almost 6
and lower the bag limit to 2
oops I guess thats why I hunt Mo. LOL
I have just about lost interest in hunting TN
I remember back in 99-about 2004 IMO was the best
hunting Tn has has in the past 20 yrs

BOOM

#3246408 - 05/14/13 03:35 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ]
woodsman87
8 Point

Lowering bag limits yes, shortening season no. Some people can only go on weekends and afternoons
after work

#3246411 - 05/14/13 03:36 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

There is no chance of turkeys becoming a nuisance.

Now wait a minute here, just a dad-gummed minute.
Just depends on your personal perspective. I know several deer hunters who consider turkeys quite the nuisance. One, he even refers to them as "big feathered rats".

But, when was the last time you heard of someone totaling their car because they ran over a turkey? And I've never heard a farmer complain about the turkeys eating up all his soybeans. However, turkeys can be a bit of a nuisance, especially when I plant my fall food plots, and they like to scratch up and eat the seed.

Seeing that turkeys are but a fraction the size of deer and have a more diverse diet, it would seem more in the natural scheme of things that turkeys should out-number deer.

Everything in the woods wants to eat kill a turkey.

Fixed it for you.

#3246426 - 05/14/13 03:52 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

The only changes I know of are these:
1) more liberal fall and spring bag limts.
2) Armidillos are seen almost everyday
3) wild hogs have been around the general areas since about 2007.
4) Feeding wildlife "deer" corn is very popular because of the game camera industry so people can see how big of a buck they are going to kill this year, only to never see him during the day.
5) the popularity of predator hunting. Yes I said it, shooting coyotes can effect in a negative way. Coyotes kill the animals that eat the eggs. Coyotes do eat nesting hens, but that isn't the main problem of them.
6) and rainfall.

Your list is good, and would apply to much of TN.
I particularly believe the feeding of "deer" corn has had significant impact on reducing turkey populations in some areas. But contrary to your #5 on predator hunting, I believe fewer coyotes is better than more coyotes, from all perspectives. I'm seeing lots of coyotes specifically hunting for turkey during the day, although I do agree that part of what coyotes eat also eat turkey eggs.

Rather than the increased popularity of predator hunting being a negative, I think the real negative to turkeys is an increase in predators (part of why predator hunting has gain popularity).

In addition to too many coyotes, we also have a lot more bobcats, and a lot more hawks. A heck of a lot more hawks, which can be particularly deadly on young poults.

There is also one other giant predator entering the scene in some areas: Eagles. I've personally seen them attack turkeys, attack turkey decoys, and standing over a fresh turkey carcass (although in that one case, did not see the eagle kill the turkey). More and more, I'm seeing eagles hunting farther from water (where I usually see them). They're not hunting just turkeys, but they seem to be evolving into more focus on turkeys.

#3246429 - 05/14/13 03:54 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
tickweed
10 Point

Well, I realize Catman is a young guy, compared to many of us older guys. I remember, as several on here when if you saw a turkey track you scuffed it out with your boot, and if you heard a bird gobble during a season you had really done something. Im friends and hunt with a fellow that started the oldest chapter of the NWTF in the state of Tn.,so I can go back aways. What has puzzled me is sightings over much of areas I hunt, as well as gobblers being seen or heard. I know at one time in many middle Tn. counties the flocks numbered in the hundreds on many sites in the fall. Within the last couple years, they have vanished in parts of Dickson county. It was nothing to ride to the store, and see strutters in many fields, and lots of hens in the spring. Now, you do good to see a hen. I know the fall hunts have knocked a dent in them. I know several guys who kill as many as they can in the fall, jakes included. As others have stated, why would a person want to kill this many? With a bow during bow season, that's ok, but a gun? To me its about calling him up, him doing his thing. I just wonder if theres more involved in the decrease in numbers other than the fall hunts, especially here in west Tn. I think TWRA has done a great job with the population, Chad H. is a very knowledgeable guy. Still, I have always felt our seasons have been way to liberal compared to other states who have more birds, shorter seasons, less limits than we do.

Edited by tickweed (05/14/13 03:58 PM)

#3246431 - 05/14/13 03:55 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Lawrence
8 Point

I think season should just be cancelled for a couple years
LMBO

not

BOOM

#3246483 - 05/14/13 05:12 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

Originally Posted By: ImThere
I got it! Why dont they raise the price of license (especially for out of staters) and lower the all bag limits and we all will be happy!

Cost of non-resident license is plenty high enough now.
I don't understand why nobody has mentioned the problem of birds not being checked in... I think that this is a major problem!! Along with poor hatches!! It's no telling how many gobblers are really killed during a 6 week season not to mention all the ones shot and lost.. The real answer would be to reduce the length of season and possibly bag limit. I am sure every county in TN can't handle a 4 bird limit in the spring.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3246490 - 05/14/13 05:15 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

content Online
[quote=Andy S.]It is my understanding that Chris Hunter is the TWRA Turkey Program Coordinator for the entire state.[/i]

Thanks Andy.

#3246496 - 05/14/13 05:21 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Boll Weevil]
woodsman87
8 Point

I still do not agree that lowering bag limits or shortening the season is the answer. There will be lots of hunters that kill over the limit anyways. I bet wounded birds isn't much of a factor. Im not whining, I have to work, but everybody doesn't get to hunt everyday of their life, so I don't think shortening the season should be the answer just be wise me and alot of other guys would be cut down to only four Saturdays.
#3246507 - 05/14/13 05:34 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
Boll Weevil
8 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Roost 1
I don't understand why nobody has mentioned the problem of birds not being checked in.

The way I look at this aspect is the same folks (or proprtion of people) that didn't check them during the bumper-crop years aren't checking them now. In some ways, this factor could actually be one of the more predictable attributes of annual harvest. There's always been, and always will be, those who don't check. We use the data we have to help guide management decsions vs. worry about the data we don't have.

Enforcement...now that's an entirely different discussion altogether.

#3246515 - 05/14/13 05:41 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Boll Weevil]
woodsman87
8 Point

My final thoughts on this thread for the day is..

Harvest limits, fall and spring, season lengths, etc. don't mean squat if the hens are not there to nest, or if all the poults are killed in someway.

Final answer- its all about nesting, brood rearing, and habitat.

#3246524 - 05/14/13 06:06 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

I bet wounded birds isn't much of a factor.

I disagree. Just go on Facebook to any turkey page and listen to the idiots taking 70+ yard shots. If they are taking those shots they are wounding a lot of birds.

#3246525 - 05/14/13 06:09 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
Spurhunter
8 Point

I know several deer hunters who consider turkeys quite the nuisance. One, he even refers to them as "big feathered rats".

As far as I'm concerned, as many deer as we have in TN, if turkeys are keeping someone from killing deer, they should take up golf. Hunting may not be for them!

#3246564 - 05/14/13 07:15 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
ImThere
10 Point

I don't understand why nobody has mentioned the problem of birds not being checked in... I think that this is a major problem!! Along with poor hatches!! It's no telling how many gobblers are really killed during a 6 week season not to mention all the ones shot and lost.. The real answer would be to reduce the length of season and possibly bag limit. I am sure every county in TN can't handle a 4 bird limit in the spring.

Roost1 that was in response to all the whining about out of staters flocking to tn to kill all the birds. I feel the twra is doing a fine job and i'm sure when a change needs to be made they will do it. That being said you sir, hit the nail on the head i listen to people at work that took impossible shots and wounded double or triple the limit because of there poor decisions

#3246725 - 05/14/13 09:40 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Would I rather call one in strutting and gobbling or feeding by in a fall flock? The question was asked to me and the answer is obvious. But I also want to shoot the fall birds for a couple reasons... 1. I want good meat in the freezer and a T-day turkey... Dont give me that butterball crap, I don't want a darn butterball. 2. I want hen wingbones to call in gobblers. 3. I like the chance of killing more than one bird in a day, and like shooting em in flocks, because it's FUN. Imagine that. If I see turkey numbers dropping around here, you bet I will lay off the hen killing even if the limit is still 6. I fall hunt one property where the owner doesn't want them eating all the food plots for deer and they are somewhat a nuisance there so the goal is to reduce their numbers.

If TWRA finds that fall hunts are directly contributing to drops in population, then I would support lowered bag limits and no bag limits in certain counties. But I don't want fall hunting or hen killing eliminated.

#3246808 - 05/15/13 04:54 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I thought records were being set every year with the turkey bag limit?

Now, one bad season and we need to change limits?

Are you kidding me?

This was the worst season ever for me and every one I have talked to. But it is also the 5th coldest Spring on record.
Last year was the warmest EVER on record. It was also my best season ever.

I am SURE there are PLENTY of turkeys in all the areas I hunted this Spring.
THE BIRDS JUST PLAIN DID NOT GOBBLE!!!

I feel certain the weather screwed them up.

Now if I could just get a couple weeks extension on my season I would be set as I feel certain this Spring squirrel season will be GREAT for GOBBLING turkeys!!!
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3246903 - 05/15/13 07:48 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
Lawrence
8 Point

Roost1 that was in response to all the whining about out of staters flocking to tn to kill all the birds. I feel the twra is doing a fine job and i'm sure when a change needs to be made they will do it. That being said you sir, hit the nail on the head i listen to people at work that took impossible shots and wounded double or triple the limit because of there poor decisions

Not really whining
just stating the facts
If twra is doing such a great job
when was the last time you or anyone else on here has had
a TWRA officer check your license
I hunt WMA's all over along with some private land
and have had my license checked one time in 15 years
just saying

BOOM

#3246912 - 05/15/13 08:09 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

just saying

I have had a drivers license for over 15 years and I have only had it checked by a police officer less than 5 times, and I drive almost every day. Does that mean the police are doing a crappy job? I dont think so, it means Im not doing anything wrong.

I am not defending any type of law enforcement, but wildlife officers are pretty limited. I will speculate a lot spend most of their time chasing down leads during hunting seasons.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3246929 - 05/15/13 08:21 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
woodsman87
8 Point

I think TWRA does a great job considering where I was from. In AL you never see them except on the water every now and then. There was no tagging system or anything. Even though they had bag limits there was no way to enforce it. That is what I am worred about this new thing. It isn't required to put a temp kill tag on, so now people can just ride back to the house and process their animal and nobody ever would know any different.

For those of you who think turkeys aren't declining have not hunted long enough or enough land or in the places that I have hunted for years. Turkeys gobble in all weather every spring. It ain't got nothing to do with weather. It is all length of day. I honestly thing they gobble better on clear cool mornings that hot mornings like we had last year, but they still gobbled. I don't believe that turkeys gobble everyday, or every gobbler gobbles every day, but I do believe if you hunt a spot that has traditionally good turkey hunting and do not here much gobbling, I think that there are fewer turkeys on the place. You may say otherwise, but that is what I believe. I have to see turkeys or see fresh sign to convince me there are turkeys on a property if I hear not gobbling. If you have sparse numbers of turkeys like us, sometimes they are in spots that you cannot hear good from your house or car or wherever you listen from.

About hen killing. It definately isn't the sole purpose of numbers dropping. But it for sure isn't helping it. That is a thing we can control, and it needs to be stopped. Just wait Maury county folks, it probably want last forever. I guess you gotta kill them when there still there.

#3246942 - 05/15/13 08:31 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
Lawrence
8 Point

Originally Posted By: AT Hiker

just saying

I have had a drivers license for over 15 years and I have only had it checked by a police officer less than 5 times, and I drive almost every day. Does that mean the police are doing a crappy job? I dont think so, it means Im not doing anything wrong.

I am not defending any type of law enforcement, but wildlife officers are pretty limited. I will speculate a lot spend most of their time chasing down leads during hunting seasons.

Sorry Bro
but thats not a very good comparison
TWRA should be out in full checking hunters during season
to make sure all is good.
And now with not having to tag your kill
it just gives the not so honest individual more reason to break the law.

BOOM

#3246961 - 05/15/13 08:43 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
woodsman87
8 Point

This thread has went to crap lol.

Anyways, whatever happens I hope the turkeys get up to the way it was 10 years ago, and I am positive and believe that it will.

#3247056 - 05/15/13 10:10 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Woodsman87 is spot on again. The two best gobbling days this year on my plsce it was 32 and 34 degrees. The birds were still DONE the last week of season like every other year. The hens were setting at the same time as every other year. Temp has nothing to do with turkey mating cycles.

#3247083 - 05/15/13 10:31 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Woodsman87 is spot on again. The two best gobbling days this year on my plsce it was 32 and 34 degrees. The birds were still DONE the last week of season like every other year. The hens were setting at the same time as every other year. Temp has nothing to do with turkey mating cycles.

There is a point when they do get DONE as some of you say, and for the most part the last week of the season is pretty tough to find gobbling birds. But I let one go the last day, do not ask me why, I just didn't shoot or pursue. He was gobbling and strutting. I killed one May 10th that was gobbling and strutting. I am like most of you that it isn't as good during the last week, but some gobblers still gobble looking for hens.
From April 20th to 30th is my personal favorite time to hunt. Lots have hunters have quit, and the hens are mostly sitting. First week of May is usually decent, and then opening weekend. I only like opening weekend because they aren't spooked up alot. Other than fresh birds and my first hunt of the season I do not like opening day. No cover, henned up, and billions of other hunters spooking turkeys everywhere.

#3247150 - 05/15/13 11:47 AM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
hayman
4 Point

Loc: paris tn

For what it is worth I sure don't agree with shooting hens for any reason I have passed up bearded hens. If there comes a time when it is proven to be too many I might change my mind.

Maybe not a good comparison but I raise cattle and if I am wanting to increase the size of my herd I have never went out in the pasture and shot my cows and heifers.

#3247189 - 05/15/13 12:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: hayman]
woodsman87
8 Point

Originally Posted By: hayman
For what it is worth I sure don't agree with shooting hens for any reason I have passed up bearded hens. If there comes a time when it is proven to be too many I might change my mind.

Maybe not a good comparison but I raise cattle and if I am wanting to increase the size of my herd I have never went out in the pasture and shot my cows and heifers.

Haha, makes total sense to me.

That is why I keep asking the question, why does TWRA continue to allow hen shooting in places that the population is obviously declining? My guess is they are just un-informed about the areas.

#3247209 - 05/15/13 01:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Does anyone know how Ft Campbell did this year? They used to be covered in birds a few years back when I hunted it. They were bonus birds for spring and fall I believe. It used to be a great hunt, but it got more difficult to get an area so I gave up hunting their.

Reason I ask is because it seemed they wanted to get rid of all the birds with the liberal limits, of course if they dont open up many areas then reaching that quota is difficult.

-John Muir

#3247216 - 05/15/13 01:18 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Spurhunter]
Roost 1
10 Point

I disagree I think weather has a big effect on mating and the last 2 springs should prove that.. Mating and gobbling are to different things. Good cool mornings are good gobbling weather.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247220 - 05/15/13 01:23 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: AT Hiker]
Roost 1
10 Point

Does anyone know how Ft Campbell did this year? They used to be covered in birds a few years back when I hunted it. They were bonus birds for spring and fall I believe. It used to be a great hunt, but it got more difficult to get an area so I gave up hunting their.

Reason I ask is because it seemed they wanted to get rid of all the birds with the liberal limits, of course if they dont open up many areas then reaching that quota is difficult.

Prolly one of the worst harvest on record. 192 total and lots of areas open each weekend. Like everywhere else there wasnt a bunch of 2yr olds which makes for less gobbling and harder hunting. The last weekend had the highest harvest of the whole season. Many reasons for this such as it was beautiful weather instead of raining and lots of the gobblers had lost their hens. But overall if was a very tough year at the fort.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247223 - 05/15/13 01:25 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
Roost 1
10 Point

Prolly one of the worst harvest on record. 192 total and lots of areas open each weekend. Like everywhere else there wasnt a bunch of 2yr olds which makes for less gobbling and harder hunting. The last weekend had the highest harvest of the whole season. Many reasons for this such as it was beautiful weather instead of raining and lots of the gobblers had lost their hens. But overall if was a very tough year at the fort.

Let me add....the harvest has went down each year since the limit was raised to 4...All areas there cant handle a 4 bird limit. Harvest totals were higher when the limit was 2 and/or 3.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247225 - 05/15/13 01:27 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

I disagree I think weather has a big effect on mating and the last 2 springs should prove that.. Mating and gobbling are to different things. Good cool mornings are good gobbling weather.

Science proves that length of day has everything to do with mating. Give me some facts about breeding around weather and I will see to it then.
Turkeys gobble to call up mates. Common sense there.
Weather may have a factor on gobbling, for instance, a cold cloudy, windy, rainy, day will probably not have the same gobbling as a 35 degree blue-bird early April morning.
Just because they ain't gobbling don't mean they aint breeding.

It is about lenght of day as far as mating goes.

#3247227 - 05/15/13 01:28 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Let me add....the harvest has went down each year since the limit was raised to 4...All areas there cant handle a 4 bird limit. Harvest totals were higher when the limit was 2 and/or 3.

Harvest limits effect on the population have minimal effect on the actual population. Science also proves that.
Saving gobblers obviously helps some because you still have 3 or 4 year old left over. I agree that maybe we should bring the limit down, but it will not be a quick fix like we all think.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/15/13 01:30 PM)

#3247235 - 05/15/13 01:36 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

If weather had everything to do with like some of yall say, then the turkey breeding would be kinda year-round. Think about it. Everyday that the temperature resembled the month of April temps, turkeys would be breeding. I don't know how I can dumb it down more than that. That would cause the whole dynamics of the flock to mess up.
If it was about the weather, poults could perhaps be born in March. Then as there growing, we get an April snowstorm or somthing(has happened before.) That would kill all of them. God created these turkeys to breed and have their clutch hatch during the optimal time of year for poult survival. Late spring and summer. Bugs and seeds are plentiful, grass is high enough to hide them from predators, and no chance of a big snow or weather even of the like to kill them off. The mroe than usual rains we have been recieving this time of year the past several years minus last year is just plain ole dumb luck.

#3247237 - 05/15/13 01:38 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I do agree and know for fact that turkeys do gobble better in more pretty weather, or cooler mornings rather than sloppy weather. I do know, and know for fact, that they breed soley on the increasing lenght of day coming into the spring equinox. Whitetail deer are same way. They rut because of lenght of day. The reason why people do not see them during the rut is because they simply didn't get any daylight activity because of hot weather or something.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/15/13 02:00 PM)

#3247251 - 05/15/13 01:50 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

People say the last two years should prove that. I aint going off the last two years. I am talking every spring for eternity. I don't care how hot it was last spring, nor how cold it was this spring, now how average the year before was or whatever. It will always be the same, barring the world ending.

If you experienced low gobbling last year, perhaps your place wasn't good, you went on days that it simply wasn't much gobbling, or you are a poor hunter. If you experienced bad gobbling days this year, your place is either down, you went on a day that weather was not conducive to gobbling, or your a poor hunter. They always mate during the spring of the year, every year.

Doesn't matter if they gobbler or not, they still will mate. I would (say in my area) nearly every hen is bred by the end of the first week of the season, and many more are probably bred before that. Hens can hold sperm for nearly 3 weeks. They fertilize each egg individually and then lay them when ready. Once their clutch is complete, they normally start setting. It is last week of April and first week of May every year (at my areas). Just because you are hunting and its April 20th and a longbeard has three or four hens with them does not mean at all they have not been bred. I am 95% sure those hens have already been bred, but they continue to breed. I don't know why, it only takes once, but I guess turkeys like breeding as much as I do.

#3247258 - 05/15/13 01:56 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

The increasing lengh of day causes the hens egg polyps to start "dropping" down, where they are then fertilized by sperm.

Yall can't argue with proven science and facts, that an abnormal temperatures spring or any season for that matter controls the way they breed.

#3247259 - 05/15/13 01:57 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

There is NO proactive quick fix to significantly increasing the turkey population. Much of the outcome is beyond our control, such as flooding, poor nesting conditions, poor survival of poults, which even under the best of times, I'd still call it "poor".

But that said, there are adjustments which could be made that improve the outcome, especially over a 3-yr-plus period. Likewise, doing the opposite of these reduces the turkey population.

Again, factors beyond our control may have more impact, but here's a few things we could do to increase the turkey population:

1) Eliminate the fall turkey hunting.
It makes about as much sense as having a spring deer season.

2) If the fall turkey season is not eliminated, then let those birds count against the following spring's annual limit. If you kill several in the fall, you could become "limited out" before the spring season even opens.

3) Reduce the annual limit to 3 turkeys (bearded birds only in the spring). (And if you kill a turkey during the fall, your spring limit becomes 2 bearded birds the following spring.)

4) Lastly, instead of making the regs more complicated, we could just simplify the regs by eliminating the fall turkey season.

#3247271 - 05/15/13 02:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Roost 1
10 Point

I can't understand why You keep asking questions... You make it apparent you know all the answers. I am not a biologist by no means and I am sure length of day does trigger breeding but my real world experiences from hunting turkeys going on 25 yrs 30+ days/yr in several different states, successfully I might add, has proven to me what makes for better hunting. I will take an early spring such as last, over a late spring such as this year every time.
There are many many factors that play into why you aren't seeing the numbers of birds you used too. Poor hatches and hunter pressure are at the top whether you choose to believe it or not.... I am sure bush-hogs are not NEW to your area I would imagine they were around before the turkeys showed up.
I think this whole thread is getting twisted. Gobbling and mating are two different things..... Birds gobble yr around but, like you said, they don't mate year around...

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247274 - 05/15/13 02:12 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Wes Parrish]
woodsman87
8 Point

There is NO proactive quick fix to significantly increasing the turkey population. Much of the outcome is beyond our control, such as flooding, poor nesting conditions, poor survival of poults, which even under the best of times, I'd still call it "poor".

But that said, there are adjustments which could be made that improve the outcome, especially over a 3-yr-plus period. Likewise, doing the opposite of these reduces the turkey population.

Again, factors beyond our control may have more impact, but here's a few things we could do to increase the turkey population:

1) Eliminate the fall turkey hunting.
It makes about as much sense as having a spring deer season.

2) If the fall turkey season is not eliminated, then let those birds count against the following spring's annual limit. If you kill several in the fall, you could become "limited out" before the spring season even opens.

3) Reduce the annual limit to 3 turkeys (bearded birds only in the spring). (And if you kill a turkey during the fall, your spring limit becomes 2 bearded birds the following spring.)

4) Lastly, instead of making the regs more complicated, we could just simplify the regs by eliminating the fall turkey season.

I like all of your points and agree with them. No quick fix. I don't think they should nesecarily end fall turkey hunting, but definately eliminate hen murdering and also count all gobblers towards a statewide, year-round, baglimit. I would aslo like to get rid of the "bearded birds" and make it "gobblers only" that way hens aren't killed just for the sake of having a scraggly skinny, 7 inch beard, and bird that only weighs 12 pounds, and has little meat.

Like you say most of it is out of our control with the weather, the influx of hogs and armidillos, but we need to control the things we can control like not shooting hens and babies and creating better nesting habitat.

#3247277 - 05/15/13 02:18 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

I can't understand why You keep asking questions... You make it apparent you know all the answers. I am not a biologist by no means and I am sure length of day does trigger breeding but my real world experiences from hunting turkeys going on 25 yrs 30+ days/yr in several different states, successfully I might add, has proven to me what makes for better hunting. I will take an early spring such as last, over a late spring such as this year every time.
There are many many factors that play into why you aren't seeing the numbers of birds you used too. Poor hatches and hunter pressure are at the top whether you choose to believe it or not.... I am sure bush-hogs are not NEW to your area I would imagine they were around before the turkeys showed up.
I think this whole thread is getting twisted. Gobbling and mating are two different things..... Birds gobble yr around but, like you said, they don't mate year around...

I am not asking questions, I am giving answers and making suggestions. Perhaps if we all got to hunt everyday of the year in every state and were "successful" as you added, we wouldn't be saying why the few spots we do have to hunt on are not as good as they once were. I like to make the best of my hunting time, and If I had the time to go and the money to go I would be out there more than you and more places than you.

#3247283 - 05/15/13 02:22 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I have read your posts, and you come in acting high and mighty because you kill your turkeys the first week of the season, acting like you know everything about it, and think your cool because your in a contest every year. You are just someone who gets to hunt everyday and has the best spots in the country to hunt. Don't come bragging to me and everyone else on how good you are and how much you get to hunt.
Be thankful that you have good places and get to go alot, one day you might not have any turkeys left.

#3247329 - 05/15/13 03:10 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
ImThere
10 Point

Woodsman87 = Setterman? Lol
Gotta give it to you know it all!

#3247352 - 05/15/13 03:32 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
Lawrence
8 Point

LOL
come on give him a break

BOOM

#3247360 - 05/15/13 03:37 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: ImThere]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

\:D

Why don't y'all shut up and go coyote hunting. Save a few poults....

Oh and I saw spring deer season mentioned. If there were a spring deer season, I would hunt it. But I thought we weren't supposed to be comparing deer to turkeys here......

#3247363 - 05/15/13 03:40 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Lawrence]
Lawrence
8 Point

[quote=ImThere]Woodsman87 = Setterman? Lol

LOL
come on give him a break

speaking of the great one where is he
This thread would have been great with him involved

BOOM

#3247377 - 05/15/13 03:57 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: 102]
tickweed
10 Point

Originally Posted By: 102
I thought records were being set every year with the turkey bag limit?

Now, one bad season and we need to change limits?

Are you kidding me?

This was the worst season ever for me and every one I have talked to. But it is also the 5th coldest Spring on record.
Last year was the warmest EVER on record. It was also my best season ever.

I am SURE there are PLENTY of turkeys in all the areas I hunted this Spring.
THE BIRDS JUST PLAIN DID NOT GOBBLE!!!

I feel certain the weather screwed them up.

Now if I could just get a couple weeks extension on my season I would be set as I feel certain this Spring squirrel season will be GREAT for GOBBLING turkeys!!!
102, its not that the birds didn't gobble, they are gone. A wintering group of over 300 birds every fall, on two different dairy farms, app. 6=700 birds, vanished. The locals who live in the area haven't seen them. My brother manages a local propane company in this county, as well as others in the area. He sees tons normally, but they have vanished. He lives three miles from one spot, normally has em in his yard ,hears em every spring. Nothing. To our knowledge, no trapping has been done. I don't know whats up, but to lose this many this quick is puzzling. Ive watched the flock grow since the early seventys, seen several, several yrs of bad hatchs, and have been a member of the NWTF for 30 yrs, working on lots of projects all over west Tn. for the turkeys, but I am telling you, something seems to really have changed, and its happened fast.

Edited by tickweed (05/15/13 04:06 PM)

#3247387 - 05/15/13 04:09 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
woodsman87
8 Point

Not trying to be like setterman, just got worked over. Didn't realize I sounded like him till it was brought up.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/15/13 04:10 PM)

#3247421 - 05/15/13 05:03 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
ImThere
10 Point

Its all good Woodsman87 you have more than me on the subject for sure but i think what got we was the " i cant dumb it down more than that " statement

#3247422 - 05/15/13 05:08 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Once again, it's usually the "There done" crowd that believe weather(early or late spring) affects the breeding cycle of the wild turkey. Their ignorance of facts or just plain lack of knowledge never ceases to amaze me, no matter how many turkeys they may have killed the first and second week of the spring season. For someone to say that "all" hens or even "all" does are bred by a specific date or week is comical at best. As long as there is at least one hen that is willing to breed(young jennies, those that have lost nests and are "dry"), there will be a gobbler willing to breed her on into June. He will gobble, strut, spit and drum throughout this time to attract those willing hens. I could locate, call to the gun, and kill receptive, gobbling turkeys on into June, both here in the East Tennessee mountains, as well as in the everglades of South Florida if the season allowed it. As for numbers dropping, I choose strictly to hunt turkeys on public land. The intense pressure the turkeys I hunt receive garantees there will always be at least a few 3 yr old gobblers or better, for me to hunt. That is all I care about. As for this new breed of game keepers and "land managers" that are concerned with "their" turkey numbers, it's simple, if you don't have them, don't shoot them. But to tell me or anyone else that we can not kill the legal limit of four, because you can't go out and hear 20 different turkeys gobble as you might have done in years past, is insulting. As for fall turkey hunting, I will continue to yelp to the gun and kill at least one turkey, gobbler or hen, in November, whether there is a season or not ;\)
#3247433 - 05/15/13 05:37 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: tickweed
. . . . . they are gone. A wintering group of over 300 birds every fall, on two different dairy farms, app. 6=700 birds, vanished. . . . . . . something seems to really have changed, and its happened fast.

Very strange.
Topping my list of possibilities would be aflatoxin poisoning from feeding corn, although aflatoxin may have had nothing to do with what happened. Just my best bet.

#3247434 - 05/15/13 05:38 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Harvest limits effect on the population have minimal effect on the actual population. Science also proves that.
Saving gobblers obviously helps some because you still have 3 or 4 year old left over. I agree that maybe we should bring the limit down, but it will not be a quick fix like we all think.

Science proves it has minimal effect? I wouldn't go that far, pretty sure harvest limits are really important. I think I understand what you meant, but to say limits have no effect as a blanket statement might be a little confusing. Harvest limits are really important, but there is more to the equation than just limits.

None the less...Ft Campbell, imo, is a prime example of what extreme hunter pressure and harvest can do to a population of turkeys. Not sure why FC was so extreme on their turkey "eradication" but that appears what it was...an eradication.

I just got back from the Black Hills of SD and the hunting has suffered dramatically. It used to be considered a turkey hunters dream land, but years of bad hatches, fires, timber harvest, etc and no change in regulations has caused some major decline in populations. Top that with fires and declines in surrounding states, which has caused an influx in out of state hunters, and the hunting is pretty tough in most areas. This is going off experience I might add, but if you ask one biologist they might tell you the population is great while another might say it is in horrible shape. When you have these two conflicting statements from biologist in the same agency you will likely never fix the problem. I assume this is happening in TN as well.

-John Muir

#3247458 - 05/15/13 06:38 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: woodsman87]
Roost 1
10 Point

I have read your posts, and you come in acting high and mighty because you kill your turkeys the first week of the season, acting like you know everything about it, and think your cool because your in a contest every year. You are just someone who gets to hunt everyday and has the best spots in the country to hunt. Don't come bragging to me and everyone else on how good you are and how much you get to hunt.
Be thankful that you have good places and get to go alot, one day you might not have any turkeys left.

Acting high and mighty is not my intentions and if you perceive it that way I apologize. I am just sharing information as I perceive it from my personal experiences. Not trying to brag or be cool either. Just offering my opinions if you don't like that then I can agree to disagree.
Btw some of best spots are public......

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247462 - 05/15/13 06:41 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
Roost 1
10 Point

I think if you want to hear bragging just scroll up a few posts and you will see it...
And if you can read between the lines you will find part of the problem with the turkey population. Alot of folks have the same mindset. Kill all you can while you can!!!!

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247471 - 05/15/13 06:52 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
hayman
4 Point

Loc: paris tn

X2 on kill all you can while you can being a problem I know several with that mindset or if I don't kill it somebody else will....
#3247498 - 05/15/13 07:42 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Andy S.]
jar
4 Point

Loc: tn, rutherford county

My yard turkeys have disappeared I don't know if they've moved or died off. The last few years I had turkeys at the bird feeder almost everyday, this year nothing. When I say nothing I mean not even one hen, but who would ever question TWRA and their reasoning. Im between Franklin and Murfreesboro.
#3247506 - 05/15/13 07:47 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: jar]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I think we have it wrong... From what I have observed this spring natural predators are on the rise. I cannot count the number of coyotes that came into my [HEN] yelping. Also called up 3 bobcats. I think they are taking a toll on our hens.

#3247507 - 05/15/13 07:49 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: jar]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

I'd rather have people trying to kill their limit than people who don't give a hoot about limits or seasons or buying a license. I know a guy who hunted before season and then when season opened one of his friends and another guy went out and killed 8 toms in a row out of a flock. The "it's my land, I can kill what I want" mindset kills me...

#3247513 - 05/15/13 07:51 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: catman529]
ImThere
10 Point

Obummer did it! His wife is coming to collect them all in Nashville!

#3247581 - 05/15/13 09:19 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
Roost 1
10 Point

I think the "new breed" are the self pro-claimed turkey killers, who always have a tag in their vest. In case you wonder what I mean check out the "silence" thread.
One of the biggest problems with hunting today.
I am glad I am not the only one whose skin it gets under.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247590 - 05/15/13 09:28 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
tickweed
10 Point

I deleted my post. Most wont know what Im talking about. It really bothers me to see a person just post a statement like that. Ive worked as a volunteer for over 30 yrs. with the NWTF, and its like a slap in the face. To see how long it took, to get the birds we have and than say that. Im done on this topic.

Edited by tickweed (05/15/13 09:32 PM)

#3247600 - 05/15/13 09:44 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
ClubHead
6 Point

Loc: Benton Co.Ky Lake,Tn

If you will study the Harvest Report,you will see that things are changin.The Jake numbers are way down,use to be about 40 percent or so.That shows that hunters are taking Toms over Jakes.Looks like the shooting Jakes raggin is workin LoL.
#3247604 - 05/15/13 09:49 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: tickweed]
Roost 1
10 Point

I also have been a NWTF volunteer in the past for about 12yrs. Still a member prolly always will be....although I don't like the direction they are going in I still respect what they have done with wild turkey restoration..I tell everyone I kno who turkey hunts they should be a member. I consider it to be one of, if not the greatest restoration effort ever!!!!

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3247616 - 05/15/13 10:06 PM Re: Numbers droping ? [Re: Roost 1]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

I think the "new breed" are the self pro-claimed turkey killers, who always have a tag in their vest. In case you wonder what I mean check out the "silence" thread.
One of the biggest problems with hunting today.
I am glad I am not the only one whose skin it gets under.
I can take criticism for my views just fine, but take offense to being called a poacher(wild hogs are a completely different story ) My old man hunted with me a lot this season. Both of us are legally licensed hunters. Now I'm not one to ever brag about the number of longbeards I kill, but of those 8 legal tags, we filled 7 of those in the South Cherokee, two of which were killed the final week of season. Everyone was tagged and checked in, either at the Hiawasse Corner Market in Polk county or online. I also killed a gobbler at Chuck Swan, which was a bonus turkey. You were wise to delete your post, because there may be some out there who are "as" serious a turkey hunter as myself, but I assure you, there is nobody out there "more" serious about it then myself ;\) As for fall turkey hunting, my kin, going back over 150 years in Florida, have had a freshly killed, fried wild turkey on the table every Thanksgiving for as many years. That "Cracker" tradition will continue no matter what state I may reside in.

Edited by curdogtn (05/15/13 11:10 PM)

Page all of 12 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
72 registered (shelbydeer, TripleE, tasaman, turk870, Master Chief, dralarms, 8 invisible) and 113 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93218 Topics
1089612 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.