Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#3244714 - 05/12/13 08:01 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Well, I'm heading out to church in a few with my IPad and newly downloaded NKJV... If I get a moment, given its Mother's Day he'll be BUSY today, I'm going to talk with our pastor about this as well..

#3244717 - 05/12/13 08:07 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

If this all of a sudden becomes an argument about who has the Biblical study credits, we both will probably lose. There are people on both sides of the debate who have massive credentials, and if that is the only standard then look at the credentials of the translators of some of the versions of the Bibles that we are talking about. I am positive that you will find agendas on both sides. I went into this personal study with eyes wide open and without bias. I have spoken to and read the commentaries of many professors and Bible scholars from both sides while making my determinations, including someone who is very close to me who majored in Hebrew.

I am not attacking you; as I said I appreciate your preferences for the KJV. To me, you are also some random gut posting on a deer hunting forum, and I hold no personal animosity or resentment toward you. I am only trying to state that the other versions that you are attacking have merit, and if someone is stating that they are having a hard time understanding the KJV, then another version is a great and accurate tool to use. I would like to encourage anyone with questions to do a study about the history and efficacy of the scriptures and make their own determinations.

#3244719 - 05/12/13 08:11 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I agree with Rutman, completely.

If you have been here long at all, you know that I am skeptical of anything that man touches, including the Bible. I have always said that any relationship that I have with God is between myself and Him and thusly I am not a churchgoer, but do not fault others for doing so.

Anytime you have a go-between (so to speak) between you and God, then that sets up a chance for deception, a wolf in sheep's clothing, if you will. In my opinion, the best way for evil to affix itself to you is to appear to be anything but evil. What better way than through your religion.?

The Bible took around 1600 years to write. Record keeping must have been pretty hard back then with only paper to store records with. You have to keep in mind, also, that Scripture was being written only when God guided someone through inspiration, according to scholars. This means there were long stretches of time when no one was writing anything. For instance, there was over 400 years between the death of the last Old Testament prophet, and the coming of John the Baptist.

It seems to me that the greatest book ever written would include much more about the greatest man to ever live, but nothing was written about Jesus while he was alive. Instead, it was more than 50 years after his death that anything was written and historians believe that those men that wrote about Jesus never even knew HIM , but knew OF Jesus from stories they had heard. This is where much of my skepticism comes in, along with many other things I have read that I can not make sense of.

Like I have said here many times, in my opinion, your faith is your faith and should be treated that way. The best way to practice your faith is to have a one on one with your Savior. Becoming angry or discrediting others based on their faith is ridiculous simply because MAN has touched every single written document concerning religion. There in lies the possibility of deceit.

If you truly believe in the Bible , then you must realize that sin and deceit began in the Garden of Eden. That is why I only believe what I feel in my heart and I don't necessarily live my life by the book. Man wrote the Bible, all versions.

good luck with this...

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3244752 - 05/12/13 08:54 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bottom Hunter]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

Sounds like I feel the same way as you Bottom Hunter, I have read the Bible several times and the more I read it the more confused I am. Also the Catholic church controled all the scriptures for hundreds of years and burned most of the ones they did'nt want in it, it is a little strange.
#3244787 - 05/12/13 10:15 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: buckaroo]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

Originally Posted By: buckaroo
Sounds like I feel the same way as you Bottom Hunter, I have read the Bible several times and the more I read it the more confused I am. Also the Catholic church controled all the scriptures for hundreds of years and burned most of the ones they did'nt want in it, it is a little strange.

The Books of Moses were written in 1250 BC. Some scholars believe that Moses didn't write them. There were three different versions (all in different writing styles and all included text about Moses death) handed down through over 800 years before the three were compiled in to ONE single version. The thing is that most of the three texts were exact or similar , and those were the ones that made up the final text. Much like other books that were excluded from the final version of the Bible. If it didn't match, it was left out.

Luke wrote details about Jesus birth and life, yet none of his writings took place until about 60 years after the death of Jesus. Luke died at age 86, so there was simply no way that he wrote any of his books on Jesus , first hand. Even if he wrote these during his 86th year, he would have been in his 20's when Jesus died and not even born during Jesus's birth and childhood.

People much smarter than myself believe that very little if any of the Bible is first hand accounts, including the stories about Jesus ....Couple that with all the Greek Mythology out there, it just brings so much skepticism, in my opinion.

I truly believe that the individual has every right to think and believe what his mind and heart tells him. We should all respect that right and allow everyone to live the life that they deem appropriate. That is why I am not a strong purponent of religions that strive to "influence" ways of life (thusly strengthening their own faith)and not so much teach tolerance for everyone and other religions.

The only TRUTH about religion is that no one really knows, we can only believe what our hearts tell us. I urge everyone to follow their heart while they are here and live a good life, as they see fit. And as hard as it may be sometimes, please allow others the same privileges.

again, good luck to everyone.....!!!!!!

Edited by Bottom Hunter (05/12/13 10:18 AM)

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3244793 - 05/12/13 10:29 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bottom Hunter]
buckaroo
8 Point

Loc: easttennessee

Good post
#3244841 - 05/12/13 12:12 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: buckaroo]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Well, the NKJV I downloaded may very well help more of the true meanings soak thru the seeming mud thickened area of my brain based on some reading today...

For now, I think I'll stay with it.

#3244869 - 05/12/13 01:09 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Kimber45]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

Let me start off saying the I am a Christian and believe that there is only one God, and the only way to the Father is through the Son, and that Jesus Christ died on the Cross for all of our sins.

Not to take anything from the Bible, but even as a young child I always thought " who the heck was King James, and who decided that we would use his version of the bible". As I got older and learned more about the Bible, and King James. It only lead me to more questions. I learned that the KJV has been revised 12 or 13 times since its first "printing" just over 400 years ago. And as stated in some above posts the canonization of the Bible was done 60 or 70 years after Jesus' death. In my minds eye I see the powers that be of that day sitting around with all the letters, going through them and saying " this one fits our agenda so it goes in this pile, this one doesn't so it goes in this pile". Who decided we didn't need to know about what happened to him during his upbringing........ Why where these letters left out..... Why were they hidden away in some cave for us to find at some later date. Why were the others destroyed..... Who decided all of this for US, the powers that be of the day did. Did they had there own agenda in mind when they made these decisions... As I understand it a group of powerful spiritual leaders gathered, and made the decisions, collectively.
It seems to me its not much different than the times we live in today, with the powers that be deciding what is best for the masses to know. There is a lot in the Bible that I don't understand, as far as why things are missing, why some things are took literally and others are considered exaggerations or parables. If we all as Christians worship the same God, why are there so many different religions.... Why do Churches split....... There are more fights, and deaths for that matter over the Bible. This is not what Jesus taught in any version of the Bible, but yet evokes strong enough feelings in people to break up families, communities, friends, and Churches, and even murder.
The devil, as my understanding creates strife and confusion among people to lead them away from God. As RUGER said the other day, where God is working you can believe the devil is right there trying to mislead and confuse to keep people from God. The real truth is no one really knows. Having said that, we do know what is good in our hearts, and that God is LOVE, this is the one thing we do know without a doubt. If it is of true LOVE than it is of God, If it is not of TRUE, PURE, LOVE, then it is not of God.

Sorry for such a long post. As always Im just trying to get to a better understanding of God. This, in my mind should not be so confusing. I can't think that this is what God would want for us.

Μολων λαβε

#3244871 - 05/12/13 01:21 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: in the dog house!]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

WOW...I leave for a few days and it goes wild. Still searching.

#3244873 - 05/12/13 01:23 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: in the dog house!]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
Let me start off saying the I am a Christian and believe that there is only one God, and the only way to the Father is through the Son, and that Jesus Christ died on the Cross for all of our sins.

Not to take anything from the Bible, but even as a young child I always thought " who the heck was King James, and who decided that we would use his version of the bible". As I got older and learned more about the Bible, and King James. It only lead me to more questions. I learned that the KJV has been revised 12 or 13 times since its first "printing" just over 400 years ago. And as stated in some above posts the canonization of the Bible was done 60 or 70 years after Jesus' death. In my minds eye I see the powers that be of that day sitting around with all the letters, going through them and saying " this one fits our agenda so it goes in this pile, this one doesn't so it goes in this pile". Who decided we didn't need to know about what happened to him during his upbringing........ Why where these letters left out..... Why were they hidden away in some cave for us to find at some later date. Why were the others destroyed..... Who decided all of this for US, the powers that be of the day did. Did they had there own agenda in mind when they made these decisions... As I understand it a group of powerful spiritual leaders gathered, and made the decisions, collectively.
It seems to me its not much different than the times we live in today, with the powers that be deciding what is best for the masses to know. There is a lot in the Bible that I don't understand, as far as why things are missing, why some things are took literally and others are considered exaggerations or parables. If we all as Christians worship the same God, why are there so many different religions.... Why do Churches split....... There are more fights, and deaths for that matter over the Bible. This is not what Jesus taught in any version of the Bible, but yet evokes strong enough feelings in people to break up families, communities, friends, and Churches, and even murder.
The devil, as my understanding creates strife and confusion among people to lead them away from God. As RUGER said the other day, where God is working you can believe the devil is right there trying to mislead and confuse to keep people from God. The real truth is no one really knows. Having said that, we do know what is good in our hearts, and that God is LOVE, this is the one thing we do know without a doubt. If it is of true LOVE than it is of God, If it is not of TRUE, PURE, LOVE, then it is not of God.

Sorry for such a long post. As always Im just trying to get to a better understanding of God. This, in my mind should not be so confusing. I can't think that this is what God would want for us.

Good post Chip

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Smokyrider, RodBone75, HuntFish714, TNCharlie, Boll Weevil, Master Chief, 10 invisible) and 280 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96090 Topics
1125089 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.068 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.