Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#3244235 - 05/11/13 09:53 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: farmin68]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Can't remember which translation it is, but it is one of the most popular ones. A woman who was one of four people involved in the translation confessed to intentionally changing some of her translation (which ended up in circulation) to to suit her women's rights agenda.

KJV for me.

#3244237 - 05/11/13 09:56 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Goat]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Originally Posted By: Goat
I encourage everyone, believers and non-believers, to read the book "Misquoting Jesus - the Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why" by Bart D. Ehrman.

Can you tell us a little more? You have my attention.

#3244265 - 05/11/13 11:09 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: farmin68]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Too bad for the Mandarin chinese I guess

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#3244289 - 05/11/13 12:29 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: PMC, certified]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: PMC, certified
Too bad for the Mandarin chinese I guess

...and the Spaniards and the Brazilians and the Germans and the French and the Norwegians and the Finnish and the Swahili and the................

#3244324 - 05/11/13 01:42 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: EastTNHunter]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

EastTnHunter -- I'm taking it you have no clue what the book I recommended is about due to your ignorant comments. Read it before you bash it. What the book shows, is a side by side comparison of verses and words that have been changed and or omitted entirely in comparison to the King James Bible. I didn't start my walk as a saved person with a King James Bible by the way. I didn't know one from the other. I started my journey with an NIV to be honest with you. It wasn't until I began my own studying and begin talking to preachers that helped me along the way that I went to the King James Bible and saw how weak the NIV was in comparison to it. It was a personal conviction of mine that made me shun it.
#3244346 - 05/11/13 02:35 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

The statements that I made were based on the description of the book written by the author. I was simply responding to what I read about the agenda that the author of this book was pushing based on the comments written about it, which are very common misrepresentations of the versions other than KJV. The Luciferian argument that he used is weak and shows an obvious ignorance of the scriptures. Also, since he references the "authors" of the other translations (in general), it must be noted that King James, who commissioned the KJV, was not known as a man of high moral quality or Christian virtue, if this makes any difference at all.

The omissions that I am sure that are referred to are a totally different story, and would have to be handled passage by passage, but these do not sacrifice a single foundational doctrine in the scriptures. One would have to have a full-blown discussion of text types and clerical traditions of ancient monks who transcribed the texts by hand to really get into that.

Just curious, do you use the 1611 version of the KJV that includes that apocrypha, as this is the true "authorized" and version and has been removed from all protestant translations.

I appreciate your preference for the KJV, and will not tell you that you are wrong for using it. I just find it hard to stomach when I hear people assume that all new translations are bastardized and change the words to promote an agenda, and that they should not be used. Also, to state that I or any other person is wrong for using another version is wrong will elicit a response, but I stated facts about the history of the KJV, not just a preference. I feel that a Christian should use discernment when choosing which translation to use, and they should not use one that sacrifices a single foundational doctrine of Christianity, and trust me, these versions do exist.

Edited by EastTNHunter (05/11/13 02:38 PM)

#3244409 - 05/11/13 05:10 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: EastTNHunter]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Lucifer - from the latin lux ferro - light bearer. Actually the Hebrew word heylel
Strongs H1966

1) shining one, morning star, Lucifer
a) of the king of Babylon and Satan (fig.)
2) (TWOT) 'Helel' describing the king of Babylon

An allegory for Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon.

From Isaiah 14

4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon, and say, How hath the oppressor ceased! the golden city ceased!

12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

13 For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

16 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms;

17 That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

18 All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house.

19 But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet.

20 Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned.

21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

22 For I will rise up against them, saith the Lord of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the Lord.

23 I will also make it a possession for the bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it with the besom of destruction, saith the Lord of hosts.

24 The Lord of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand:

25 That I will break the Assyrian in my land, and upon my mountains tread him under foot: then shall his yoke depart from off them, and his burden depart from off their shoulders.

26 This is the purpose that is purposed upon the whole earth: and this is the hand that is stretched out upon all the nations.

27 For the Lord of hosts hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back?

28 In the year that king Ahaz died was this burden.

Edited by PMC, certified (05/11/13 05:19 PM)

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#3244453 - 05/11/13 06:47 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: PMC, certified]
JQT
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Knoxville,Tn.

Hey what do you all think about hunting hogs with dogs?
#3244678 - 05/12/13 05:55 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: JQT]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: JQT
Hey what do you all think about hunting hogs with dogs?

#3244704 - 05/12/13 07:29 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: EastTNHunter]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
The Luciferian argument that he used is weak and shows an obvious ignorance of the scriptures.

You're probably right. I mean what would a university professor that has taught 17 different courses/authored 6 college textbooks, with a B.A., M.A., and M.F.A degrees with additional post grad study at Harvard and Cornell, know about scripture? Obviously their knowledge is less than some random guy from TN on a deer hunting forum. \:\)

Here's another great book to read...that you will probably dismiss because the author only has a few places he has studied at: Cavalry Bible Institute and Philadelphia College of Bible, earning a B.S. in Pastoral Theology and M. Ed in Christian Education at Hyles-Anderson College. Also has a D.D. from Anchor Baptist Bible College and holds a Th. M. in English Bible from the Baptist International School of Theology and a Ph. D. in History from Baptist International Seminary.

http://www.amazon.com/Final-Authority-Christians-Guide-James/dp/0962880914

So tell me again what your Biblical study credits were?

Page 7 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
63 registered (bowhunterfanatic, ntimad8r, stilllookin, levergunner, alwaysoutdoors, Jcalder, 6 invisible) and 146 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99053 Topics
1164569 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.