Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3243118 - 05/09/13 07:35 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bowdacious]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Most all are useful, NONE are perfect. I use KJV, NKJV, NIV, NASB, ASV, and ESV to study. I probably prefer the ESV a little more as it's a little more literal than others yet very easy to read.

Team Peapicker

#3243128 - 05/09/13 08:03 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: TX300mag]
JQT
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Knoxville,Tn.

I'm certainly not a KJV or nothing person, but I prefer the KJV. I enjoy the way it's written. I use a KJV and a Strong's concordance.

I don't understand it all and honestly don't practice all I understand. I think that's a bigger issue with Christians. If we obeyed & practiced the part we understand, we would no doubt walk closer to God.

#3243220 - 05/09/13 09:38 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: JQT]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Wow, this is a touchy subject for some. Bowdacious is right on with her assessment of the 1611 vs the 1627 and newer KJVs (including even more recent revisions to the ones that most people hold). Also, the reason for some of the differences in the KJV and the "newer" translations (NIV, NASB, ESV, etc.), is that they use different texts. In 1611, the KJV was translated from some majority texts in Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, but also much of it was translated from the Latin Vulgate where "holes had to be filled in." There was also quite a bit of influence in some of the Latin Vulgate from the Catholic Church, which is a whole 'nother story.

One must realize that with modern archaeology, older versions of original texts have been found. The older versions (minority texts), although fewer in number, tend to be relied upon as more accurate since they had less chance of having clerical errors in the tedious handwritten process. Many of these minority texts are used in the more recent translations, yet, with rare exception of some liberal bastardized versions, no foundational doctrinal difference is made.

If you have questions (as I did), I challenge you to read into the history of how we got the Bible in the way that we do. It will really encourage and strengthen your Faith, but will also probably challenge many beliefs that are often based on tradition, not absolute truth. I was a Christian who thought that I was well versed in the Bible and extraBiblical history, until I was challenged to dig deeper. I found many things that Lee Strobel talks about in "The Case for Christ" to be very helpful, as well as writings and history from many Bible scholars on both sides of the great KJV debate. Unfortunately, many people would rather live by the philosophy of "don't bother me with the facts because I already have my mind made up."

#3243223 - 05/09/13 09:40 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: JQT]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: JQT
I'm certainly not a KJV or nothing person, but I prefer the KJV. I enjoy the way it's written. I use a KJV and a Strong's concordance.

Even though I usually use a different translation in study, I also use the Strong's for reference, as much of my Bible study and memorization growing up was in the KJV, so that is how I recall it. I still find the poetic "meter" of the KJV easier to memorize for some reason.

Edited by EastTNHunter (05/09/13 09:41 PM)

#3243316 - 05/10/13 06:06 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Poser]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
king james version or nothing IMO

I agree with Crow the other versions are lacking and take out important words

I'm not necessarily defending the "modern translations", but, again, I ask the question, could you not say the same thing about the KJ version? Did it not take out and/or change important or potentially important words?

I often disagree with Crow but here I am 100 % agreeable with his opinion :

Acts (KJV) 5 : 34Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;

35And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.

36For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.

37After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

38And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought:

39But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.

I do beleive the King James version has spiritual authority behind it but my advice would be to pray about it and let the Lord lead you as I did ! Just opinions so let us please be civil .

#3243325 - 05/10/13 06:32 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Snake]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

I grew up with the KJV, but did own one of the newer (back then)translations as a teenager and read both cover to cover multiple times. I still own the KJV , but not the other.

These days, when I need to reference a certain topic, I go through the internet to find the verse, then go to the verse in the KJV. I can usually remember reading something but maybe not the exact verse or even book, so the internet is very helpful to me.

I think that it is good to have many versions since even today I find it much more difficult to read and understand the KJV. If a newer more modern version reaches more kids, then isn't that a good thing?

I guess the KJV adds a bit of historical significance in the way it is worded but isn't the main message what is important and if a child puts down a KJV because he or she finds it hard to read, then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Isn't it about the message and not the messenger...?

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#3243355 - 05/10/13 07:18 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bottom Hunter]
Snake
18 Point

Loc: McMinn Co.Tennessee U.S.

Originally Posted By: Bottom Hunter
I grew up with the KJV, but did own one of the newer (back then)translations as a teenager and read both cover to cover multiple times. I still own the KJV , but not the other.

These days, when I need to reference a certain topic, I go through the internet to find the verse, then go to the verse in the KJV. I can usually remember reading something but maybe not the exact verse or even book, so the internet is very helpful to me.

I think that it is good to have many versions since even today I find it much more difficult to read and understand the KJV. If a newer more modern version reaches more kids, then isn't that a good thing?

I guess the KJV adds a bit of historical significance in the way it is worded but isn't the main message what is important and if a child puts down a KJV because he or she finds it hard to read, then doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Isn't it about the message and not the messenger...?

True unless the message is distorted BH :
Matthew 7 : 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

This scripture had ought to trouble every Christian because many are going to go the wrong way !

1 John (KJV) 4 : 1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Edited by Snake (05/10/13 07:18 AM)

#3243375 - 05/10/13 07:43 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Snake]
encore06
16 Point

Loc: Harrogate, TN

Like many on here, I grew up reading and studying out of the KJV, but my carry bible is now the NKJV. Some have mention Bible Gateway, which I totally agree is an awesome resource. I have the link on my toolbar and find the daily scripture, devotions, and the ability to read the scripture in various translation unparalleled. The Amplifed Bible is another translation that I enjoy reading from. The key, I believe, is to remember the context in which a given text was written, and to read the verses preceding and following, as a verse out of context or alone, may give the reader/hearer the wrong impression. Study, study, study, followed by pray, pray, and pray more.

Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

#3243404 - 05/10/13 08:12 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: encore06]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

The 1611 and 1627 edition KJV are the same Bible. There was no revision or re-translation to the text other than basically proof reading and fixing grammatical errors. There was no revising it to delete X amount of verses or to make it less offensive to people at the time. It is still the Authorized King James Bible...just the same as the later revision took those doggone Roman numerals out of it, and made it standard numbers LOL. I have a Bible from the 1800s that is all Roman numeral numbers.

The one thing to not be mistaken about though is to not think the modern newer versions out there are simply the KJV that has been made easier to understand. A lot of these other versions are translations taken from some crazy texts and totally different stuff. Remember...for every good thing that God has for us humans...Satan has a counterfeit for. Some things may look like a Bible and kind of have the same sound as the Bible...but it ain't a real Bible. When you look at the 23 Psalm in KJV...it just has power about it on it's own.

1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

VS the NIV of the same:

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

------------

I don't know about you, but to me, one just speaks with POWER behind it. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...I will fear no evil: for thou art with me. That has POWER and AUTHORITY behind it. There's a big difference between walking through the valley of the shadow of death...and walking through the darkest valley. It lacks the power. Like trying to take a Prius through a mudhole.

#3243421 - 05/10/13 08:28 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
encore06
16 Point

Loc: Harrogate, TN

CT, not to cause a stir or anything, but reading Psalms 23 from the Amplified Bible, doesn't take away, but rather adds understanding.

Psalm 23
Amplified Bible (AMP)
Psalm 23

A Psalm of David.

1 The Lord is my Shepherd [to feed, guide, and shield me], I shall not lack.
2 He makes me lie down in [fresh, tender] green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.
3 He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness [uprightness and right standing with Him—not for my earning it, but] for His name’s sake.
4 Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with [a]oil; my [brimming] cup runs over.
6 Surely or only goodness, mercy, and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, and through the length of my days the house of the Lord [and His presence] shall be my dwelling place.

Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Page 5 of 9 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
100 registered (tasaman, feldmutze, gtk, scn, wayne, waynesworld, 7 invisible) and 181 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99581 Topics
1171501 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.