Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3243024 - 05/09/13 03:29 PM Venison Bone marrow Broth heres why, Info
Stalkhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

Has anyone ever made it? I got it slow cooking now.

I started out just using bones and fresh cut open garlic(wait 20 mins when open to let enzymes to activate). Then I said what the heck and through a shoulder in too.

What’s better than a hot bowl of homemade soup during a cold winter day? Almost every culture throughout history has used bone broth for its nutritional significance, versatility and overall deliciousness. Chinese medicine practitioners use bone broth to strengthen the kidney, support digestive systems and build blood. The term “Jewish penicillin” is used for chicken soup, known to inhibit cell inflammation and mitigate cold symptoms. And the English sip beef tea, or beef broth, used since the Victorian era.

While modernity touts store-bought stock as more convenient and easy to use, it rarely carries the health benefits of homemade broth, which has been touted by alternative healers such as acupuncturist Chris Kressler; food activist Jenny McGruther; and author and co-founder of the Weston A. Price Foundation Sally Fallon (who’s videos we feature in our resources section).

Simply put, bone broth is homemade stock made from animal bones such as fish heads or oxtails. You can use whole turkey or fish carcasses or parts of lamb, pig, venison – or any other animal of your choosing. The point is to simmer the bones (typically from one animal) in water for hours or days. The longer you cook it, the more nutritious it gets and the bette the product breaks down and pulls out all the nutrients. Here’s are my Bone Broth recipes (PDF).

Bone broth is known as a super food. The cooking process breaks down bones and connective tissues – including proteins, minerals and fat – that heal the body in various ways. And because bone broth comes from pure nature, it’s sometimes more beneficial than taking supplements, especially for people with severe digestive problems.

When you ingest bone broth, it feeds the body with collagen, which is the building block of cells to bones, ligaments, cartilage and the brain. Gelatin, a form of collagen used in food, is used (among other benefits) to help digestion because the liquid gets absorbed into the body quickly and without much effort. Making bone broth excellent for people with food sensitivities and gastrointestinal disorders because it is usually very safe and tolerable for the body.

There are other virtues of bone broth. Bone marrow helps the immune system by carrying oxygen to cells in the body. Minerals such as calcium and phosphorus are essential for maintaining healthy bones and generating energy. And using cartilage-rich bones such as knuckles and chicken feet is said to be effective in treating arthritis and other degenerative joint diseases.

For example, people with Celiac disease who suffer from a variety of digestive problems due to an intolerance to gluten, often find bone broth is a way to superfeed the system without causing digestive discomfort. I have even started prescribing it to my patients who cannot digest supplements comfortably. In this example, the immune system has become so hyper-vigilant in attacking gluten stressors, that it may also attack beneficial foods such as celery, navy beans and chicken. The body uses the collagen and other connective tissues in the broth to rebuild the damaged tissues like the intestinal lining. In this way, the bone broth heals the gut without irritating the body.

When making your own tasty broth, bones, are readily available from your neighborhood butcher for very affordable prices. Be sure to use the bones and other materials from grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, or pasture-raised chicken. This will ensure the fat in the broth is less inflammatory and of higher nutritional value. For more on how fat can be inflammatory, check out my video.

Edited by Stalkhunter (05/09/13 03:34 PM)

Μολων λαβε
I am a cancer Killer.

#3243028 - 05/09/13 03:44 PM Re: Venison Bone marrow Broth heres why, Info [Re: Stalkhunter]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Originally Posted By: Stalkhunter

What’s better than a hot bowl of homemade soup during a cold winter day?

I've been very interested in making broth from game. However, its 81 degrees in Knoxville right now.

#3243029 - 05/09/13 03:50 PM Re: Venison Bone marrow Broth heres why, Info [Re: DntBrnDPig]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I make stock from all my deer bones and freeze it in mason jars. I use it mostly for braising and/or slow cooking venison dishes.

Note that you wil need to break or saw the bones open. I add roots vegetables, fresh herbs and red wine for a deep, rich stock.

Edited by Poser (05/09/13 03:59 PM)

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3243039 - 05/09/13 04:16 PM Re: Venison Bone marrow Broth heres why, Info [Re: Poser]
Stalkhunter
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville TN

Poser am am going to be drinking it lol. I really am.

Μολων λαβε
I am a cancer Killer.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
36 registered (NoNtYpiCaL1, Nealmeally, SMB44, Daniel n, T.J., Stumpy, 3 invisible) and 82 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93069 Topics
1087547 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.103 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.