Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3239303 - 05/05/13 09:42 AM Memphis BBQ Review: Double J
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
This weekend was Memphis in May (Mud) Music Fest. I made my way down Saturday afternoon to catch Dwight Yokam at 7 PM. Note that it poured on Friday and off and on Saturday afternoon. "Memphis in Mud" lived up to its name this year, though it was a break from the usual 90+ degree temps. I believe it was 47 degrees by 7 pm and there was more camo and rubber boots in attendance than you could shake a stick at.

So, we stood around in the mood drinking tall boys and claiming a good spot for Dwight, who was awesome. He came out and played hit after hit, straight into the next song, for a seamless 65 minutes. He seemed to be enjoying himself, too and heard that he had been seen around time some over the weekend.

After his set, we did some walking around and ended up drinking whiskey in the Memphis Flyer VIP tent for a couple of hours. By about 12:30, we were ready to head back but needed to pack on some beer-adsorbing protein first, so we stopped by Double J Smokehouse in the South Main district of Memphis (Close to Ernestine & Hazels and The Arcade). The downstairs restaurant was pretty packed, but most people don't seem to know that they have a separate, upstairs tavern where some locals like to drink.

So, we ordered a round of bourbon and a few combo plates of pulled pork and ribs at 1 am:

The meat comes out with the sauce on the side, which I like because it lets me taste the meat by itself. Overall, I was very impressed. My pulled pork had plenty of bark and the ribs had a excellent texture -that perfect balance between actually using your teeth, though still tender, falling off the bone, but not falling apart.

They had 2 sauces "The Original", which was a mustard based sauce and the "Memphis" which was a sweet/spicy sauce. They were both good, I thought and I ended up just using them as "dipping" sauce.

The beans were also good with nice smoke flavor and a little kick, though the potato salad was a little odd. It was more "mashed potatoes" than potato salad. I didn't eat the bread. The combo plate as $16.

All in all, this is quality Memphis BBQ and some of the best that you will get in the downtown area, and definitely THE best BBQ you will get in Memphis after 10 PM, much less after midnight. So, if you find yourself in downtown Memphis for a late night with a craving for BBQ, Double J's is where you want to end up, no question about it. They have a full bar, seafood, sliders, burgers, chicken & pizza, and they also do brunch on Sundays. A little pricey, but nothing beyond the norm for downtown eating and far better value than the Beale St restaurants.

http://www.doublejsmokehouse.com/Menu.pdf

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3239663 - 05/05/13 05:37 PM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: Poser]
Twinshooter
10 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN. USA

How is the head feeling?

Puppet Boy G8rntn is bought and paid for!!

#3239691 - 05/05/13 06:05 PM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: Twinshooter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Twinshooter
How is the head feeling?

All good.

#3242992 - 05/09/13 02:41 PM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: Poser]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

I was there all 3 days. Getting tougher every year, especially with the weather we had this weekend. Can't believe there were still young teenage girls walking around in shorts, tank tops, and sandals. I was thankful to be a hunter and decked out in my full camo, which at one point let me to strike up a conversation with one little cutie that even had a buckmark tatoo.

#3242994 - 05/09/13 02:49 PM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: BigAl]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BigAl
I was there all 3 days. Getting tougher every year, especially with the weather we had this weekend. Can't believe there were still young teenage girls walking around in shorts, tank tops, and sandals. I was thankful to be a hunter and decked out in my full camo, which at one point let me to strike up a conversation with one little cutie that even had a buckmark tatoo.

It was like the freakin' camo army out there \:\)

It was funny to see the people wearing sandals out there in 2 feet of mud. I also noticed that the lemonade vendors were advertising "hot lemonade." I bet their sales took a major hit this year.

#3243112 - 05/09/13 07:28 PM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
I bet their sales took a major hit this year.
I know some guys that sale beer at MIM out of the beer carts and they told me this year's Music Fest was their worst year in sales in a long time. Not surprising to say the least.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3244811 - 05/12/13 11:19 AM Re: Memphis BBQ Review: Double J [Re: Andy S.]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Never heard of it, but then, I don't frequent downtown that much. I just work there. \:D Might have try it out sometime.

I can imagine MIM was a unique experience this year, with the cooler temps. I know it usually rains and is muddy, but it's usually in the 80's during MusicFest.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (WGK, dogman, backstraps, SilverFox, Donk, TN Larry, 11 invisible) and 129 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91522 Topics
1069923 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.