Topic Options
#3242150 - 05/08/13 12:13 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: stik]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: stik
 Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
 Originally Posted By: Kirk
Yamaha................never heard a bad word uttered about them.

I have owned 2 yamahas. Never a problem. BUT, I know 2 guys that have blown up SHO 250's still under warranty in the last two months. Yes, they are cursing yamaha.

did they run ethanol in them? it cost me the only good merc i ever owned.

Many Yamaha 4 strokes are known for "Making Oil". My 90hp did. Luckily I checked the oil regularly and caught it. Changing my oil every month sucked..... but was better than a new power head. I never got a solution from Yamaha as to why it was doing it. It eventually stopped. Yamaha then said it just needed time to break in. 7 months to break in? Anyway the motor never failed to start and run and performed great on the water. However, i'm sure that had I not checked my oil and just ran it that it would have caused serious problems. Im not bashing Yamaha, just offering a little awareness. Just google Yamaha making oil.

#3242225 - 05/08/13 02:00 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: stik]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

I have owned 2 yamahas. Never a problem. BUT, I know 2 guys that have blown up SHO 250's still under warranty in the last two months. Yes, they are cursing yamaha.

I don't know any outboard owners that still run ethanol.

#3242538 - 05/08/13 10:03 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: Spurhunter]
BDS05
8 Point

Loc: tn

I don't know any outboard owners that still run ethanol.

Ethanol free isn't common in some places. I try not to run ethanol but that's not always convenient. I add Lucas and Quickleen to every tank to ease the mind.

#3244253 - 05/11/13 10:25 AM Re: Which boat? [Re: BDS05]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Have you decided which boat and motor?

#3244339 - 05/11/13 02:19 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: Football Hunter]
Jroberts238
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

is the yamaha or merc 4 stroke? In my experience Mercs use more oil than the Yamaha's.

My dad had a Merc 2 stroke 250 on his last ranger and he would eat a gallon of oil per tank. The Yamaha 2 stroke he had before would maybe take a gallon every 2-3 tanks.

Of course the 4 stroke Yamaha he has now is the way to go!

-SSGT Shaffer RIP

#3244340 - 05/11/13 02:21 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: AllOutdoors]
Jroberts238
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

Originally Posted By: AllOutdoors

Many Yamaha 4 strokes are known for "Making Oil". My 90hp did. Luckily I checked the oil regularly and caught it. Changing my oil every month sucked..... but was better than a new power head. I never got a solution from Yamaha as to why it was doing it. It eventually stopped. Yamaha then said it just needed time to break in. 7 months to break in? Anyway the motor never failed to start and run and performed great on the water. However, i'm sure that had I not checked my oil and just ran it that it would have caused serious problems. Im not bashing Yamaha, just offering a little awareness. Just google Yamaha making oil.

Did you follow the break in when you first got it? If not it could have delayed the process.

-SSGT Shaffer RIP

#3244524 - 05/11/13 08:14 PM Re: Which boat? [Re: Jroberts238]
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Jroberts238
 Originally Posted By: AllOutdoors

Did you follow the break in when you first got it? If not it could have delayed the process.

Yes.

#3244722 - 05/12/13 08:22 AM Re: Which boat? [Re: AllOutdoors]
Grill-n-man
4 Point

Loc: rhea county tn

I bought an 1860 Lowe sportsman with the 90hp 4 stroke Mercury last spring and love the setup. Now mine doesn't have the forward fuel cell but it does have a good size back deck which let's the fuel tank come forward a bit more. Outside of the tuffness Lowe boats are known for the biggest reason I didn't buy the G3 is the lost inside room. The G3 loses about a foot of floor with the way the sides are made. About 8-10 inches of floor length with the forward fuel cell and the console wasted a lot of space. Have had mine in ruff water, shallow water, carry heavy loads and I don't have one complaint with the boat. Now the Merc did blow with 8.3 hours on it as well as the computer failed but as in all things mechanical it will break. This leads me to this, I bought mine from Bunch Marine and will never do business with them ever. Actually had Curtis, the owner, tell me that it was my problem and between me and Mercury. Had a few issues with Mercury's customer service but nothing out the norm. But Mercury actually had to make Bunch replace my motor with one of the two they had there in the crate. I wouldn't recommend any one doing business with a dealer that doesn't stand behind what they sell or believe in customer satisfaction especially when they have your boat more than you do. So to answer the question between Lowe and G3 go with the Lowe.
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
89 registered (UTGrad, 6.7strokin, daduckman, infoman jr., Gravey, Dbllunger, 8 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93193 Topics
1088496 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.091 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.