Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3241477 - 05/07/13 04:27 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I've seen a lot of folks using The Message to read alongside another translation (often NIV or NLV). It's really interesting to read, because the concept behind it is to use a phrase (sometimes a bit lengthy) to describe the concept conveyed, instead of just trying to translate word-to-word.

If that doesn't make sense, then think of it this way...
Old languages were relatively simple in terms of vocabulary, compared to English. In most cases, a single word or phrase could have a lot of implied meaning based on the context of its use. That translation is focused on explaining the meaning.

I don't recommend The Message for memorization purposes, however, because all the extra content means more words to store away \:\)

#3241565 - 05/07/13 06:39 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: woodchuckc]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

content Online
 Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
KJV and NKJV are my staples. I much prefer actual translations versus transliterations even though they may be easier to read, as I think they hold closer to the truths and meanings that God wants us to base our belief upon. That being said, there are some (many) Greek and Hebrew words for which there are not adequate English equivalents and therein lies the value of using multiple translations and other study texts to better understand what the original scripts said.

Totally agree.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3241757 - 05/07/13 11:11 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: jos3ywales]
Tiny
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville

KJV for me an have several of them an will get some more. I really like the "Open" "Life Applications" & "Ryrie" the Mossy Oak also has some good info..

God Answers Prayers Yes No or Not Yet

#3241970 - 05/08/13 08:45 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: jos3ywales]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

i like to read a few different ones just to get a better idea or different view.

i normally read the KJ or the TNIV versions but recently i have started to read the Message version as well.

John 3:16

#3242322 - 05/08/13 04:46 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: jos3ywales]
tnfirefighter
8 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Ive always used a KJV. I've always been taught, God will let you understand and see things in the Bible. If your having trouble understanding something, than the Lord believes your not ready for it. Also about study Bibles.....the translation and interpretation is by scholars or man.... and is not the Lords word.

I'm not bashing anybody for using any type of Bible, this is just what Ive been taught

#3242324 - 05/08/13 04:54 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: tnfirefighter]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online

"If your having trouble understanding something, than the Lord believes your not ready for it."

Not quite sure I'm reading into that the way your probably meant it. You ever tried to read what John wrote in Revelation.

#3242360 - 05/08/13 05:48 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
Ahuntin1
4 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

I read NIV (84). There is a newer version on my iphone and it will not let me reference the older version anymore. I was given an NIV when i graduated and the new version is just different. The sentences mean about the same, but I am too used to finding verses by the actual wording. I guess I don't adapt well to change.
#3242364 - 05/08/13 05:52 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: jos3ywales]
Beekeeper
Good ol' Boys "Team Buckcreek"
16 Point

Loc: McMinn Co. Tennessee

KJV.

#3242369 - 05/08/13 06:02 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Beekeeper]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

I have KJV 1611 (which a lot of folks think they have but don't), KJV 1627(the ones we use today), NKJV, NIV, God's Word and the New Living Translation. I read out of all of them. I just had this discussion with a friend. She has been trying to read the Bible but the old english leaves her frustrated and aggravated. I will be taking her one of mine to see if she has a better time with it.
For those who thing the KJV is the ONLY Bible, I ask you this- How is it any better? It is a translation. A very good one but in a dialect that can be troublesome to a lot of people. To be truly reading the original Bible, you will have to learn Greek, Hebrew and some Aramaic. A translation done by God Fearing scholars who use the original text cannot be called wrong, imo. I don't see anything wrong with reading one you can understand and will actually pick up and study.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3242370 - 05/08/13 06:09 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
The KJV has stood the test of time since 1611. Like silver purified in a furnace 7 times...it was the 7th translation purified without blemish. It took the translators 7 years to complete it. Which also so happens that 7 is God's number for completion. \:\) It may all be coincidental but no other can claim that. hahah

I would bet money that what you have been told is a 1611 version id=s actually a 1627. The 1611 is extremely difficult to read. It is in very old English. The 1627 updated the language to the more "modern" way of speaking at the time.

Give it a try. It's fine to love a certain translation and the KJV to me, has beautiful language but be careful to not beat someone over the head with incorrect information.

Viewing the 1611 King James Version.
Proverbs Chapter 1

Proverbs Chapter 1, Original 1611 KJV

View original 1611 Bible scan for Proverbs chapter 1
(this is a scan from the exact, authentic, original 1611 'HE' King James Bible)

1 The Prouerbes of Solomon the sonne of Dauid, King of Israel,

2 To knowe wisedome and instruction, to perceiue the words of vnderstanding,

3 To receiue the instruction of wisdome, iustice, and iudgement & equitie,

4 To giue subtiltie to the simple, to the yong man knowledge and discretion.

5 A wise man wil heare, and wil increase learning: and a man of vnderstanding shall attaine vnto wise counsels:

6 To vnderstand a prouerbe, and the interpretation; the wordes of the wise, and their darke sayings.

7 The feare of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fooles despise wisedome and instruction.

8 My sonne, heare the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother.

9 For they shall be an ornament of grace vnto thy head, and chaines about thy necke.

10 My sonne, if sinners entise thee, consent thou not.

11 If they say, Come with vs, let vs lay wait for blood, let vs lurke priuily for the innocent without cause:

12 Let vs swallow them vp aliue, as the graue, and whole, as those that goe downe into the pit:

13 Wee shall finde all precious substance, wee shall fill our houses with spoile:

14 Cast in thy lot among vs, let vs all haue one purse:

15 My sonne, walke not thou in the way with them; refraine thy foot from their path:

16 For their feete runne to euil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vaine the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

18 And they lay wait for their owne blood, they lurke priuily for their owne liues.

19 So are the waies of euery one that is greedie of gaine: which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.

20 Wisedome crieth without, she vttereth her voice in the streets:

21 Shee crieth in the chiefe place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she vttereth her words, saying,

22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye loue simplicitie? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fooles hate knowledge?

23 Turne you at my reproofe: behold, I will powre out my spirit vnto you, I will make knowen my wordes vnto you.

24 Because I haue called, and yee refused, I haue stretched out my hand, and no man regarded:

25 But ye haue set at nought all my counsell, & would none of my reproofe:

26 I also will laugh at your calamitie, I wil mocke when your feare commeth.

27 When your feare commeth as desolation, and your destruction commeth as a whirlewinde; when distresse and anguish commeth vpon you:

28 Then shall they call vpon mee, but I will not answere; they shall seeke me early, but they shall not finde me:

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the feare of the Lord.

30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproofe.

31 Therefore shall they eate of the fruite of their owne way, and be filled with their owne deuices.

32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fooles shall destroy them.

33 But who so hearkneth vnto mee, shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from feare of euill.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

Page 4 of 9 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (bowhunterfanatic, Rubberduck270, RKenney, 09FX4, 7mm08, JayMc, 11 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93309 Topics
1089467 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.