Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3241821 - 05/08/13 05:31 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: dr]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: dr
...When the strip mine was operating, dump trucks ran up and down that narrow mountain road, barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass. And, all the homes and vehicles stayed covered in white dust. There was also quite a bit of blasting that reportedly damaged peoples homes.
...They estimated that more than 200 dump trucks a day would run up and down the road seven days a week, eight hours a day, for at least 5 years.
...I don't believe too many people would be in favor of this if they had to hear and see those 200 trucks going by their house every day.

^I thought this beared repeating^.

My in-laws live in SW Pennsylvania where there is a ton of mining. All day, there are huge semi tankers running up and down the road hauling 1000s of gallons of water for fracking (hope that is spelled right - don't know much about the process itself). Day and night, while your kids are playing in the yard, or while you're sleeping, or while you're babies or kids are trying to sleep, and it is less than a 100 yards from the front door. Sound like somewhere you'd wanna live?

#3241881 - 05/08/13 07:27 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: TNhunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: TNhunter
Thread is too long to read in its entirety but why is the first answer to issues ALWAYS how can the government get their hands on more money. CUT SPENDING and live within the budgets. We all have to do it. Wish I could just walk in and demand more money from my employer every month or two.

We are in general agreement with these thoughts, but there is one aspect of this that many are missing:
TWRA is not your "typical" government agency.
UNLIKE nearly all the others, they are not being funded by the State's general fund. TWRA gets virtually none of any taxes you pay (which goes to all those other government agencies, many of which provide the payer of those taxes nothing, absolutely nothing).

TWRA is almost totally self-funded by hunting & fishing license sales. As I say this, TWRA is one of the few government agencies that's (currently) operating in the black, i.e. they have not and are not creating debt for our grandchildren to pay. Wouldn't it be great if all government agencies could be self-funded by those who benefit most from the entity?

TWRA has already CUT SPENDING, and has been living within their current "bare-bones" budgets, much like many of the rest of us. But just like us as individuals, sometimes our incomes get reduced, sometimes we have unexpected expenditures, and sometimes we have to find new ways to bring in more money if we expect to not go into debt.

IMO, TWRA is now simply exploring all options to increase their funding.
Isn't that what they should be doing rather than to be quick to raise license costs?

Finally, we experience "inflation" in almost all aspects of our financial lives. Things cost more over time. But when was the last time TWRA increased the costs of our hunting & fishing licenses? Adjusted for inflation, TWRA has been steadily collecting less money from us, and would need to increase licensing cost just to bring in relatively the same amount to cover their rising expenses.

So there is no way licensing costs can go down. But it would be nice if TWRA found other ways to bring in revenue, and may be able to keep licensing costs from going up as fast as inflation. Not to mention, the issue of fewer hunters & fisherman, thus fewer people will be buying hunting & fishing licenses in the future, reducing TWRA's main funding base.

#3241962 - 05/08/13 08:37 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Ima be a game wardman when I grow up. BTW, y'all solved this yet or do Ineed to dosome mroe gogitatin? I got me a magazine ready.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3242093 - 05/08/13 10:47 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: bowriter]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

mad Online
Kinda got off track a little guys

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3242094 - 05/08/13 10:55 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: fredfred]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

content Online
Interesting article related to this subject. http://www.newschannel5.com/story/22187635/lobbyist-on-payroll-of-both-governor-special-interests

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3242105 - 05/08/13 11:08 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Andy S.]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

I need to know more, but for now, as long as the revenue goes directly to TWRA (NOT into the state general fund!) I am all for it.

I am also in favor of timber sales on all government property. Including TWRA, TVA, U.S. Forest, and federal wildlife refuges.

#3242111 - 05/08/13 11:21 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: farmin68]
TNGunsmoke
8 Point

Loc: Jackson,TN

Timber sales via select cut would benefit wildlife, hunters, and all those other folks that want to use the outdoors, some of them just don't realize how much. Just because the new growth is thick, they think it is bad, and it interferes with the ability to see through the woods looking for wildlife that has moved on to other areas.

#3242122 - 05/08/13 11:35 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Crappie Luck]
arctic_cat
8 Point

Loc: Lenoir City,Tn

I havent read all the comments but is this part of what they are talking about? This has been in process for awhile now. The ut land they are talking about doing this to butts up to my lease in Morgan County.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/dec/02/ut-plans-to-drill-for-gas-on-its-land-study/

WHEN YOU LOSE SOMEONE YOU LOVE, YOU GAIN AN ANGEL YOU KNOW

MEMORIES, IT'S THE ONLY THING THAT CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY.

#3242130 - 05/08/13 11:47 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Andy S.]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

mad Online
 Originally Posted By: Andy S.

If you lay with dogs your bound to get flees. TWRA is gonna need a flee bath before long it looks like

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3242177 - 05/08/13 12:54 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: arctic_cat]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: arctic_cat
I havent read all the comments but is this part of what they are talking about? This has been in process for awhile now. The ut land they are talking about doing this to butts up to my lease in Morgan County.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/dec/02/ut-plans-to-drill-for-gas-on-its-land-study/

That is UT doing that. Different deal. Right up the road from the land I own over there.

Page 7 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
116 registered (RAFI, Grandslam11, Mr.Bro, Andy S., hunter drew, FastXD, 17 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94031 Topics
1098389 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.258 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.