Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>
Topic Options
#3241666 - 05/07/13 08:40 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: gator-n-buck]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

There was a time in American history when sportsmen would stand up and put their money where their mouth is to protect what we have. Now they sit back and whine about having to spend money.

BTW, many of you are of the drill here, drill now mindset, and have blasted Obama for his energy policy. You do not have the right to change your tune now that it is going to directly affect you. You either want more domestic energy production or you don't. If you do, this is a way to benefit TWRA while meeting your goal. If you don't, then you must be in agreement with Obama's energy policy.

[/quote]
Sportsmen already pay plenty toward wildlife, and fisheries management. People have a right to whine about having to spend more money. We are being taxed at increasing rates every year. This sounds like more of a money making scheme for politicians, and businessmen, with TWRA getting only the scraps.

Raping wildlife management land set aside for sportsman more than 50 years ago, has nothing to do with noboma policy. What's next, mining in the Great Smoky Mountains? Funny you should mention noboma, he's always taking more of our money, and giving it to the wrong people, while we get nothing in return. I'm betting that if $10 million a year were raised by coal mining, you won't see your license fees go down one cent, but will see more encroachment onto once pristine hunting land.

#3241678 - 05/07/13 08:53 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: gator-n-buck]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

I knew I should have pop the corn

#3241681 - 05/07/13 08:57 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: gator-n-buck]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

I guess my armchair business advisory role here says go for it.
Make the money off royalties if there's no environmental impact.

It will only benefit us TN sportsmen in the long run. (hopefully)
Grow the elk, add a tag or two. More trout streams.
Who knows. Just hope it benefits TN wildlife some way in the long run.

Also, agree with the folks who mentioned usage fees for non-hunters. Makes perfect sense.

#3241721 - 05/07/13 10:00 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: preds1]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

dr I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees whats going on here

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

#3241746 - 05/07/13 10:56 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: gator-n-buck]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

Thread is too long to read in its entirety but why is the first answer to issues ALWAYS how can the government get their hands on more money. CUT SPENDING and live within the budgets. We all have to do it. Wish I could just walk in and demand more money from my employer every month or two.

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first then everything else."

#3241776 - 05/07/13 11:49 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: TNhunter]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

I cant believe the TWRA is gullible enough to think for one second more than half of the money profited from the mining doesnt find its way into Haslam's pockets. I would support this if I knew
1That ALL profits stayed to aid TWRA
2. That all the land used for the mining upon completion is returned back to the hunters. IMMEDIATELY

Wait and see, dear Brother Bill will hype the media with how much $ could help the state and do some bogus crap (example) like rezoning it and only giving TWRA a $1000 check. He is a bottom feeder. Personally in my book I rank him one step below a child molester.

#3241792 - 05/08/13 03:23 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Poleaxe]
CR500AFX
6 Point

Loc: ANDERSON CO.

North Cumberland WMA is owned by TWRA. BUT, the mineral rights aren't. The mineral rights owner could come in and set up camp at any time. I'm sure that lots of previously mined WMA's are the same.

#3241799 - 05/08/13 04:14 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: CR500AFX]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

I look at it as TWRA being the manager of our states 401/wildlife.They control it & find ways to increase our returns.We probaly wont see our lic costs dropped but they also may not rise .1 day soon coal will be outlawed & then it will just be a black rock with no value & we will look back & ask our selfs why we didnt sell it while it was worth something.Would you want your $ to to grow or stay at current rate knowing that a maintenace fee has to be taken out of it every year? .Twra has to spend $ on every peice of ground they own or lease no matter if its gravel/road repair or officers to patrol it.The state will keep making attemps to take over TWRA in order to gain control of the $ generated by them no matter if this deal goes thru or not.I see it more of a positive than a negative for the most part.I will have to leave the impact comments up to the folks what have the schooling & real world knowledge,I do know other folks that live near the areas will be affected more than any of us that live no where near there.If we loose 100ac out of 30,000ac that would beat having to cut back property use on all of it imo. Investing into our wildlife & propertys has to be changed as the times change & you either grow or you waste away & the property gets sold because of lack of $ to keep the areas open/safe.Good luck to all of us to have the right paths picked as hind sight sucks lol

#3241801 - 05/08/13 04:16 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: mike243]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Frefred, I hope the environmental impacts have been greatly improved. All it takes is a drive to Wilder and a look at the river to get a feel for what coal mining did here. The river looks lifeless.

#3241819 - 05/08/13 05:23 AM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: TNhunter]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: TNhunter
Thread is too long to read in its entirety but why is the first answer to issues ALWAYS how can the government get their hands on more money. CUT SPENDING and live within the budgets. We all have to do it. Wish I could just walk in and demand more money from my employer every month or two.

^THIS^; exactly my point. By the way, I'm not saying TWRA isn't already making sacrifices like so many other agencies and businesses. But, I posed the question earlier and the response was more/less TWRA has already cut all they can, and the only idea I remember reading was to close WMAs. There has to be areas in the agency and "pet" projects that are of little to no value. I don't expect a free ride, but I do expect us all (TWRA and Sportsmen) to make concessions. I think some great ideas have been brought up here on how TWRA could increase revenue, and I hope someone brings it to the table.

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
How would you suggest the TWRA cut costs? There has to be areas that are obviously less fruitful where money would be better spent elsewhere or not spent at all. Any company, agency, big or small, has areas where they essentially "waste" money for one reason or the other. Where are those areas with the TWRA?

Page 6 of 8 « First<45678>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (Rockhound, LA man, TNRazorback, PapPaw, LOWland, dmonty, 10 invisible) and 135 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88894 Topics
1039835 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.