Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3241384 - 05/07/13 02:52 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: BMan]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BMan
 Originally Posted By: RUGER
I am more upset about the MANY people who use WMA's and places like LBL for their use for fishing, hiking, bird watching, bike riding, etc. that don't have to pay ANYTHING to use it.

Not sure if Catoosa is the same way or not but I, for one, am tired of paying fees to use such lands and they do so for free.

Exactly right. Let the other users share the cost, not jut the hunters.

Sorry ruger....LBL is part of the US Forest service, and they are mandated by congress to be a multiple use agency. I am not sure if TWRA has to pay them or not, but I do know TWRA has to pay the USFS for Cherokee national forest to be a WMA. I would love to see those funds stay in the coffers for other uses.

Edited by Diehard Hunter (05/07/13 03:16 PM)

#3241386 - 05/07/13 02:58 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
. . . . . . TWRA has already made huge cuts. They had to do away with the internship program a few years ago because they couldn't afford to pay the interns. They share equipment across the state to save money, and they are understaffed. There comes a time when you cannot cut any more without cutting service and opportunity. I think they are there.

I agree.

Drill, make money and keep TWRA going, sounds fine to me.

Actually, of all the ideas being floated to raise money for TWRA's operation, this may be the best one yet, PROVIDED there is minimal impact to the hunting & fishing opportunities.

You see, most of those other good-sounding ideas will also have the unintended consequence of making TWRA suddenly "accountable" and more "accommodating" to those other "user" groups. Let's say we start charging for "wildlife viewing" on a hunting area. At that point, those who are only interested in "wildlife viewing" and paying for it, they will then have legitimate claim to have areas set aside where hunting is not allowed, so they can get what they're paying for. This could turn into a net loss for TWRA, financially, and for the hunters, in lost hunting land, along with sharing the WMA's with more non-hunter "user" groups.

#3241387 - 05/07/13 02:58 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Ahuntin1
4 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

How about raising out of state big game license fees? I don't know about all our border states, but Mississippi's cost about $400 for everything.
#3241400 - 05/07/13 03:13 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Unicam]
G5PRIME
4 Point

Loc: Paris Tn.

Originally Posted By: Unicam
Hey remove the fishermen and women from that list!! We buy a license!
Im not calling you out personally, but yes fisherman do by a fishing license, but they dont buy a wma permit to fish on a wma. ive thought this was wrong for a very long time? maybe just me? dunno

#3241403 - 05/07/13 03:18 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: G5PRIME]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: G5PRIME
Im not calling you out personally, but yes fisherman do by a fishing license, but they dont buy a wma permit to fish on a wma. ive thought this was wrong for a very long time? maybe just me? dunno

You are not totally correct. Fishermen do buy a permit to fish some of the managed/stocked trout streams in ETN, and they do buy permits to fish on agency lakes.

#3241408 - 05/07/13 03:21 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Wes Parrish]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
. . . . . . TWRA has already made huge cuts. They had to do away with the internship program a few years ago because they couldn't afford to pay the interns. They share equipment across the state to save money, and they are understaffed. There comes a time when you cannot cut any more without cutting service and opportunity. I think they are there.

I agree.

Drill, make money and keep TWRA going, sounds fine to me.

Actually, of all the ideas being floated to raise money for TWRA's operation, this may be the best one yet, PROVIDED there is minimal impact to the hunting & fishing opportunities.

You see, most of those other good-sounding ideas will also have the unintended consequence of making TWRA suddenly "accountable" and more "accommodating" to those other "user" groups. Let's say we start charging for "wildlife viewing" on a hunting area. At that point, those who are only interested in "wildlife viewing" and paying for it, they will then have legitimate claim to have areas set aside where hunting is not allowed, so they can get what they're paying for. This could turn into a net loss for TWRA, financially, and for the hunters, in lost hunting land, along with sharing the WMA's with more non-hunter "user" groups.

Good point, Wes. It's sorta nice to have "first rights" to the property. It's limited enough as it is.

In general, I think it's better to invent new sources of funding rather than increase prices on existing ones. From a "psychological perspective", most people don't have a problem paying an extra dollar for something to support an activity they love, but they don't want to see their licenses go up again. The tax on wildlife food, as well as these proposed energy development projects, would fall into that category.

#3241410 - 05/07/13 03:22 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: scn]
G5PRIME
4 Point

Loc: Paris Tn.

Originally Posted By: scn
 Originally Posted By: G5PRIME

You are not totally correct. Fishermen do buy a permit to fish some of the managed/stocked trout streams in ETN, and they do buy permits to fish on agency lakes.
how many wma lakes, stream, ponds, or bottoms require a fishing permit in west tn? not calling you out, just wondering?

Edited by G5PRIME (05/07/13 03:22 PM)

#3241411 - 05/07/13 03:23 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Crosshairy]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Another idea...

The TWRA could sell "raffle tickets" for drawings for lifetime licenses. I'd spend $10 or $20 for a shot at one.

#3241413 - 05/07/13 03:25 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

I would still love to see the following to raise money.

1) a habitat stamp
2) a user/ access fee for anyone without a hunting license.
3) a tax on all wildlife food purchased in tennessee.

1) a habitat stamp - I'm all for this and have expressed this on more than one occasion. However, I would not want to see that money used for the day to day operations of the agency. I would want to see that money earmarked for the purchase of additional lands.

2) a user/access fee - In years past, I was 100% against this. It would mean that anyone who purchases it would have the same voice as the hunters and fishermen in the season setting meetings for TWRC. They would love to come in and shut down hunting for times when they want exclusive access to these lands. BUT,,,, after the birdwatchers shut down the proposed crane hunt a few years ago, it's obvious they have a voice already. Lets charge them and make them pay their share.

3) tax on wildlife food purchases - I like the concept, but I just don't know how you would distinguish between deer corn and cattle corn. It would only mean people would start buying agricultural feed instead of wildlife feed.

These are some good ideas and it gets the thought process started.

I personally would like to see them open South Cherokee NF to statewide seasons. I think the additional opportunities to kill bears and hogs would create additional out-of-state license revenues. I know North Georgia attracts quite a few out-of-state bowhunters for their archery season, and we have far more bears here than they do. In addition, South Cherokee NF borders North Carolina and Georgia and is a short drive for hunters coming from from Alabama and South Carolina. I think creating additional opportunities is an excellent way to bring in revenue.

#3241427 - 05/07/13 03:41 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Buzzard Breath]
fredfred
8 Point

Loc: crossville, tn

I agree with a lot of the ideas state here. I know were $300,000+ could've been saved last year alone, but lets not go there. I think everybody that sets foot on a WMA should ether have a hunting license or a usage permit. Also if there going to make the millions mentioned in the article on top of the money made from timber cutting we should see a cut in our license fees. I personally don't want to smell a pile of oil wells when I'm tring to hunt or listen to dump trucks and semi's running up and down the roads all day long.

Democrats and liberals have turned our country into a bunch of SISSYS

Page 4 of 8 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
26 registered (Ken45, harley 2008, leebowhunts, Thicketmaster, archer19, jar, 5 invisible) and 79 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99353 Topics
1168716 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.073 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.