Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3241290 - 05/07/13 12:27 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Diehard Hunter]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I would truly hate to see this happen. However, I understand the reasoning behind it. Everyone gripes about how much the licenses cost, so the general public obviously won't go for an increase in license cost. I have mentioned a habitat stamp on here a couple of times, and very few people even gave it a second look, less than a handful stated they would support it. Everyone complains there are not enough officers and not enough land.

So, my question to everyone is. How would YOU increase revenue for the TWRA? "Not that way" is not a valid answer.

There was a time in American history when sportsmen would stand up and put their money where their mouth is to protect what we have. Now they sit back and whine about having to spend money.

BTW, many of you are of the drill here, drill now mindset, and have blasted Obama for his energy policy. You do not have the right to change your tune now that it is going to directly affect you. You either want more domestic energy production or you don't. If you do, this is a way to benefit TWRA while meeting your goal. If you don't, then you must be in agreement with Obama's energy policy.

Blast away boys and girls, you can't have it both ways.

BTW, drilling and mining have been going on for decades on North Cumberland WMA and on the properties surrounding Catoosa.

Very well stated, Robert.

#3241291 - 05/07/13 12:29 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: BlountArrow]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

It is a long way from me and I have never and probably won't ever hunt there, but I don't see it as a huge deal.

I am more upset about the MANY people who use WMA's and places like LBL for their use for fishing, hiking, bird watching, bike riding, etc. that don't have to pay ANYTHING to use it.

Not sure if Catoosa is the same way or not but I, for one, am tired of paying fees to use such lands and they do so for free.

Drill, make money and keep TWRA going, sounds fine to me.

I have two questions or concerns though.
My number one would be, how can we make sure TWRA gets the money and not some crooked arse politician or commisioner?

I guess number two would be, how will the environment (animals, birds, land and water be effected by the mining? Also, how many acres would be "lost" to the sportsmen that use the area?

#3241295 - 05/07/13 12:35 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: scn]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

How much is the President's Island lease? I truly don't know how much money they spend on this, but if it's market rates, that's way too much for just a few individuals to get to hunt each year.

How much does TWRA spend on the elk program? Aren't these Rocky Mountain Elk when the real Eastern Elk are extinct?

#3241298 - 05/07/13 12:38 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: RUGER]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: RUGER
...I am more upset about the MANY people who use WMA's and places like LBL for their use for fishing, hiking, bird watching, bike riding, etc. that don't have to pay ANYTHING to use it.

I agree. And, I'll preface what I'm about to say by saying I've never been there, but I've been told of an observation area on the scale of a large deck/covered gazeebo in Rhea county that was built for people to watch the beautiful, majestic sandhill cranes. Now, I don't even know if that was TWRA funded, but if it was I personally don't see the value add there. Is there some reason this state is still protecting those food hogs (ah, never mind)?

#3241301 - 05/07/13 12:42 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Crappie Luck]
Ahuntin1
4 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

I do not understand how TWRA could be short on money. Mississippi gets by with $32 sportsman license. If the state is not providing enough money above and beyond the revenue from license fees to support the programs, TWRA has to make hard decisions. I know TWRA does a great job and provides many services, but you can only provide the level of service that you can afford. As far as the mining or drilling of TWRA/State land for financial revenue, I can only hope that the folks in charge are smart enough to make the right decision. If the disruption of services at certain areas can make a stronger impact statewide, by all means proceed. I have long thought that the money from my expensive license has found its way into some programs that I do not care about anyways. Just sell me a license and let me go hunt.
#3241305 - 05/07/13 12:47 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Ahuntin1]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Quoted from TWRA forum

Originally Posted By: Chris Tripp
Underground coal mining is not going to affect much on Catoosa's surface, in fact you would likely never know they were there. I worked for years in Gordonsville/Elmwood/Cumberland mine, all under the Caney Fork River and Cumberland River and have never seen an impact on fishing or wildlife in Smith County.

I would like hear more from TWRA about the environmental effects, the amount of additional roads, as well as how much acreage we stand to lose by these practices before I can develop a true opinion. I originally posted as a gut reaction.

Edited by Buzzard Breath (05/07/13 12:48 PM)

#3241306 - 05/07/13 12:49 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: BlountArrow]
PalsPal
8 Point

I would be interested in knowing how much money TWRA has made from all of the timber harvested from Catoosa, and if that money stayed within the agency and for what it was used.

If it were used for general operating expenses, then additional revenue is obviously needed, as a great deal of the WMA has already been clearcut.

#3241308 - 05/07/13 12:51 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: beechnut]
PalsPal
8 Point

Originally Posted By: beechnut

I don't get it Jeff!

#3241311 - 05/07/13 12:57 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Ahuntin1]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

Originally Posted By: Ahuntin1
I do not understand how TWRA could be short on money. Mississippi gets by with $32 sportsman license. If the state is not providing enough money above and beyond the revenue from license fees to support the programs, TWRA has to make hard decisions.

The TWRA does not receive money from the state funds. They are one of the few wildlife agencies that are 100% self-suffient. That is why our license fees are higher.

#3241317 - 05/07/13 01:05 PM Re: TWRA wants to start mining and drilling our land [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Chris Tripp
10 Point

Loc: Brush Creek, TN

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
Quoted from TWRA forum

Originally Posted By: Chris Tripp
Underground coal mining is not going to affect much on Catoosa's surface, in fact you would likely never know they were there. I worked for years in Gordonsville/Elmwood/Cumberland mine, all under the Caney Fork River and Cumberland River and have never seen an impact on fishing or wildlife in Smith County.

I would like hear more from TWRA about the environmental effects, the amount of additional roads, as well as how much acreage we stand to lose by these practices before I can develop a true opinion. I originally posted as a gut reaction.

I am 99% sure they are going to have their access shaft (adit) in the current open pit. There will have to be ventshafts, but they generally only use about a 50'x 50' area for the egress of the shaft. The coal seam there is only around 36-40 inches, but if I can recall correctly they do an over/under cast ventilation in their existing underground mines in Cumberland co., in that case there will be fewer ventshafts overall if they do it.

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (ChadG, hillbill, Daniel n, Nooga Hunter) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.