Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3241067 - 05/07/13 08:26 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

I have the bible app on my phone... tried a bunch of them.. the Holman Christian Standard Bible is what our preacher preaches from.. you would like it..

#3241076 - 05/07/13 08:35 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: pressfit]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

I am in the same situation.a buddy of mine keeps telling me to pray for the lord to help me understand what I am reading.i need something easier to understand so far
#3241093 - 05/07/13 08:42 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I have an relative who had a mid life crisis, quit his gov't job less than 1 year away from retirement and, after bouncing around different churches for awhile, dedicated himself to learning Greek, Arabic and Hebrew so that he would not have to rely on secondary translations. After a few years of intense study in his mid 50s, he became a ordained Greek Orthodox priest. My understanding is that he did the equivalent of 40 years of intense study in less than 10 years.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3241094 - 05/07/13 08:42 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

King James here. Be very careful with new modern translations...they can take something and make it mean something totally different and you will miss a good blessing because of it. Take one of my favorite verses for example. Isaiah 40:31 KJV:

"But they that WAIT upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

vs the NIV version of the same:

"But those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Note what I capitalized in both of them...KJV says they that WAIT upon the Lord. NIV says those who HOPE. There's a big difference in WAITING upon the Lord and HOPING in something. The word WAIT actually does not mean what you might think it does...the word it is translated from is actually about serving the Lord....like a waiter or waitress at a place to eat...i.e. they wait on you. It's not about patiently waiting as in a passing of time. It's about servitude...those that Wait upon the Lord he continually renews their strength. What makes a good waiter? Well it's one that never lets you run out of things...their job while you are there as the guest, is to be Johnny on the spot and take good care of your wants...more food, more drinks, etc. The Lord just wants you to serve Him and if you do such, he will take care of you and renew your strength. That's how some evangelists can preach 50+ weeks out of the year and never grow tired.

There's a bunch of differences like that between the versions...with totally different meanings as to what it's suppose to be. Especially when some versions say a "young woman" shall conceive instead of a virgin. There are lots of young women that aren't virgins...but the virgin birth is essential to the life of Christ and salvation and has been eliminated in versions like the RSV and a few others.

#3241103 - 05/07/13 08:54 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
King James here. Be very careful with new modern translations...they can take something and make it mean something totally different and you will miss a good blessing because of it.

I'd like to point out that one could easily say the same thing about the KJ version. It was the "modern translation" of its time.

#3241111 - 05/07/13 08:58 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Poser]
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

king james version or nothing IMO

I agree with Crow the other versions are lacking and take out important words

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

#3241117 - 05/07/13 09:04 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Deer Assassin]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
king james version or nothing IMO

I agree with Crow the other versions are lacking and take out important words

I'm not necessarily defending the "modern translations", but, again, I ask the question, could you not say the same thing about the KJ version? Did it not take out and/or change important or potentially important words?

#3241118 - 05/07/13 09:05 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Poser]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

The KJV has stood the test of time since 1611. Like silver purified in a furnace 7 times...it was the 7th translation purified without blemish. It took the translators 7 years to complete it. Which also so happens that 7 is God's number for completion. \:\) It may all be coincidental but no other can claim that. hahah
#3241136 - 05/07/13 09:28 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: SilverFox]
jos3ywales
14 Point

Loc: Norris Dam

KJV Study Version also most Baptist Prachers I know including my Father (Preacher) Uses the Same

"Let God in he will save you all you have to do is ask"

"I'm a legend in my own mind"

Jos3ywales

#3241143 - 05/07/13 09:41 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

I was raised on begats, beholds and surelys got to stay with King James

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Bar7mag, jumpmaster21) and 74 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.