Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#3243435 - 05/10/13 08:46 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Crow Terminator
King James here. Be very careful with new modern translations...they can take something and make it mean something totally different and you will miss a good blessing because of it. Take one of my favorite verses for example. Isaiah 40:31 KJV:

"But they that WAIT upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

vs the NIV version of the same:

"But those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Note what I capitalized in both of them...KJV says they that WAIT upon the Lord. NIV says those who HOPE. There's a big difference in WAITING upon the Lord and HOPING in something. The word WAIT actually does not mean what you might think it does...the word it is translated from is actually about serving the Lord ....like a waiter or waitress at a place to eat...i.e. they wait on you. It's not about patiently waiting as in a passing of time. It's about servitude...those that Wait upon the Lord he continually renews their strength. What makes a good waiter? Well it's one that never lets you run out of things...their job while you are there as the guest, is to be Johnny on the spot and take good care of your wants...more food, more drinks, etc. The Lord just wants you to serve Him and if you do such, he will take care of you and renew your strength. That's how some evangelists can preach 50+ weeks out of the year and never grow tired.

There's a bunch of differences like that between the versions...with totally different meanings as to what it's suppose to be. Especially when some versions say a "young woman" shall conceive instead of a virgin. There are lots of young women that aren't virgins...but the virgin birth is essential to the life of Christ and salvation and has been eliminated in versions like the RSV and a few others.

I disagree with your assertion that the word translated wait means to serve like a waiter at a restaurant. The word translated wait in Isaiah 40:31 is the hebrew word qavah. You can find it defined in Strong's Dictionary under entry 6960.

It is used 49 times in the old testament
wait 29, look 13, wait for 1, look for 1, gathered 1, misc 4
Definition
1) to wait, look for, hope, expect
a) (Qal) waiting (participle)
b) (Piel)
1) to wait or look eagerly for
2) to lie in wait for
3) to wait for, linger for
2) to collect, bind together
a) (Niphal) to be collected

Some examples

Gen 1:9 KJV - And God said , Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together[6960] unto one place, and let the dry [land] appear : and it was so.
Gen 49:18 KJV - I have waited for[6960] thy salvation, O LORD.
Job 3:9 KJV - Let the stars of the twilight thereof be dark ; let it look[6960] for light, but [have] none; neither let it see the dawning of the day:
Job 6:19 KJV - The troops of Tema looked , the companies of Sheba waited[6960] for them.
Job 7:2 KJV - As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh[6960] for [the reward of] his work:
Job 17:13 KJV - If I wait[6960] , the grave [is] mine house: I have made my bed in the darkness.
Psa 25:3 KJV - Yea, let none that wait[6960] on thee be ashamed : let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.
Psa 25:5 KJV - Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou [art] the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait[6960] all the day.
Psa 25:21 KJV - Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait[6960] on thee.
Psa 27:14 KJV - Wait[6960] on the LORD: be of good courage , and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait[6960] , I say, on the LORD.
Psa 119:95 KJV - The wicked have waited[6960] for me to destroy me: [but] I will consider thy testimonies.
Isa 5:2 KJV - And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked[6960] that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.
Isa 5:4 KJV - What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked[6960] that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
Isa 5:7 KJV - For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts [is] the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked[6960] for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
Isa 40:31 KJV - But they that wait[6960] upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run , and not be weary ; [and] they shall walk , and not faint .

It is very important to note that the KJV is translated from the vulgate (Latin)as was posted earlier.

Please if you are going to discuss the definitions of words look at how the words are used in the original language in the scripture. To say it means something in that one location that it does not mean everywhere else it is used is simply not accurate. Much the same as the almah in Isaiah 7:14. But that is a separate discussion.

To answer the OP's question we live in the golden age to study the bible. The resources available to the common man were simply not available in the past. If you like the KJV, that's fine. Please do not limit yourself however. Some great resources include biblegateway.com and blueletterbible.com . You can look at the text in the actual language there and cross reference in all types of ways to clearly understand the word.

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#3243653 - 05/10/13 01:22 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

The 1611 and 1627 edition KJV are the same Bible. There was no revision or re-translation to the text other than basically proof reading and fixing grammatical errors. There was no revising it to delete X amount of verses or to make it less offensive to people at the time. It is still the Authorized King James Bible...just the same as the later revision took those doggone Roman numerals out of it, and made it standard numbers LOL. I have a Bible from the 1800s that is all Roman numeral numbers.

The one thing to not be mistaken about though is to not think the modern newer versions out there are simply the KJV that has been made easier to understand. A lot of these other versions are translations taken from some crazy texts and totally different stuff. Remember...for every good thing that God has for us humans...Satan has a counterfeit for. Some things may look like a Bible and kind of have the same sound as the Bible...but it ain't a real Bible. When you look at the 23 Psalm in KJV...it just has power about it on it's own.

1. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

VS the NIV of the same:

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

------------

I don't know about you, but to me, one just speaks with POWER behind it. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...I will fear no evil: for thou art with me. That has POWER and AUTHORITY behind it. There's a big difference between walking through the valley of the shadow of death...and walking through the darkest valley. It lacks the power. Like trying to take a Prius through a mudhole.

My point is that changes were made. They were made again in 1769. True translations done by God fearing scholars via prayer and Divine guidance shouldn't be condemned. If it helps the reader understand and causes him to spend time in God's word, I see no downside. I enjoy all of mine.

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3243795 - 05/10/13 04:15 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

kjv is it!!! all I will preach from ,read, or listen to someone else preach from!!! you better be carefull with these new versions, you change just a few words and the devil becomes the master? for those who say they cant understand it as you read pray for understanding and dig in the word, if you will get a kjv study holiman bible and pray for understanding and have an open line of communication with the one and only GOD you will have no trouble understanding!!

#3243799 - 05/10/13 04:21 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: knightrider]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Sooooooooooooo
Was there an acceptable Bible the 1500+ years before the KJV? ???

Team Peapicker

#3243837 - 05/10/13 05:39 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: ]
TX300mag
Pea Picker
14 Point

Loc: Crosby, TX

Romans 10:17 says "So faith comes through hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ."

According to the Bible to state that someone must be saved BEFORE they can understand God's wouldn't be correct.

Team Peapicker

#3243896 - 05/10/13 07:22 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: Bayou Buck]
BIGB
6 Point

Loc: TN.

ESV
#3243913 - 05/10/13 07:39 PM Re: Bible Question [Re: SilverFox]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

The living bible can be purchased as a side by side version for the king james. I do not like the old english talk of the king james and love the Living bibles flow and ease of reading and understanding.

#3244101 - 05/11/13 12:21 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Boone 58]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

I highly recommend this book called "New Age Bible Versions":

http://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Bible-Vers...+bible+versions

Whatever the case is...the Bible truly fascinates me. It is easy enough that children can understand things of it and read it daily. And yet complex enough that I doubt you could finish getting everything out of it in 10 lifetimes of study and having every PhD of theology and doctrine that you could get in that time. How many times have you read something and passed right over it and never gave it much thought? Then one day you're studying and BAM, something jump out at you from something you've read hundreds of times? That's just how it works. There's something in it for the young Christian...(sincere milk) and there's something in it for the longtime oldtime Christian (meat). It can make a lost person found...give comfort to a dying person...give hope to others....security to others...amazing. A lamp unto my feet and light unto my path.

#3244195 - 05/11/13 08:42 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Crow Terminator]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

I highly recommend this book called "New Age Bible Versions":

http://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Bible-Vers...+bible+versions

Really? This is akin to the rock n' roll back-tracking or something. The whole Luciferian stuff is so off base that anyone with any knowledge of Hebrew can tell that it is a total farce, as the name "Lucifer" means "star of the morning," as he was a very beautiful angel before being thrown from heaven. This stuff holds no water at all.

Whatever the case is...the Bible truly fascinates me. It is easy enough that children can understand things of it and read it daily. And yet complex enough that I doubt you could finish getting everything out of it in 10 lifetimes of study and having every PhD of theology and doctrine that you could get in that time. How many times have you read something and passed right over it and never gave it much thought? Then one day you're studying and BAM, something jump out at you from something you've read hundreds of times?

I agree with you 100% on this. But the Bible itself says that "you shall find the Truth and the Truth will set you free." The truth is enough and does not need sensationalism to get people to believe it. The history and facts of the Bible speak for themselves and should not be run from, but they show that the Holy Scriptures are accurate and true and will stand the test of time. Before the 1611 KJV there were other versions from other languages, including the Latin Vulgate, taken from the Textus Receptus (majority texts), of which much of the KJV was translated from, making making many parts of it a translation of a translation, not a true translation. With all of this being said, it is accurate and should not be done away with. No one that I have read in this entire thread has suggested that the KJV should be done away with.

I learned much of this through research after being challenged by a KJV thumper who told me that I was going to Hell because I read an NIV, which was not the "original" Authorized 1611 KJV that the good old apostle Paul used to use. Needless to say, he was totally wrong.

#3244234 - 05/11/13 09:50 AM Re: Bible Question [Re: Deer Assassin]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Originally Posted By: Deer Assassin
king james version or nothing IMO

I agree with Crow the other versions are lacking and take out important words

I'm with Crow and DA. Reading a translation other than the KJV can be dangerous. I believe the KJV was divinely inspired and has certainly held up to scrutiny for a few decades.

Notice there is no copyright on the KJV. In order for a translation to be eligible for copyright, it HAS TO DIFFER SUBSTANTIALLY FROM THE KJV. Now, I'm not saying every translation has been published with profit as the primary objective, but if I'm applying for a copyright on a product, I know what my motivation would be.

Be careful.

Page 6 of 9 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (gun nut, imograss, Blackdog, Birdiekiller, 1 invisible) and 82 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.