Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: redblood
[quote=catman529][quote=redblood]i love deer jerky, but vastly prefer beef over venison. had
maybe because venison tastes far better medium to med-rare than it does scorched to a crisp. ;\) \:D

lol, maybe.
have you ever eaten a deer steak cooked less than well done?

mainly due to all the food processing and biology classes i took in college that dealt with the risks of eating meat that doesnt reach 162 F internal temperature- especially undomesticated animals that have not treated with anthelmintics. of course my love of beef came from raising angus/simmental cross beef finished on corn. The main advantage of beef IMO is the presence of intramuscular fat (marbling). deer are too lean for this too occur.

I see. So the classes taught you what could happen from meat that's not fully cooked... But realistically, what are the chances if getting sick? If you process your own deer you know how safely it was handled. Ask anyone here if they eat their deer pink in the middle and how many have gotten sick from doing so. Probably a pretty low rate, much safer than not fully cooking a commercially raised hamburger, I would think. To me, deer tastes too good medium to cook it all the way, if its a steak or backstrap. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

I've never known of anyone who has gotten sick from eating venison and, the folks I roll with tend to eat it as bloody as it comes, sometimes even raw. Isn't the official Tn Deer position on college that its all BS anyway? \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3239237 - 05/05/13 08:25 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

If you went strictly "by the book" about 2/3 of all the people in every deer camp across the nation would die of food poisoning each day.

#3239254 - 05/05/13 08:53 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Poser
[quote=catman529][quote=redblood]i love deer jerky, but vastly prefer beef over venison. had
maybe because venison tastes far better medium to med-rare than it does scorched to a crisp. ;\) \:D

lol, maybe.

mainly due to all the food processing and biology classes i took in college that dealt with the risks of eating meat that doesnt reach 162 F internal temperature- especially undomesticated animals that have not treated with anthelmintics. of course my love of beef came from raising angus/simmental cross beef finished on corn. The main advantage of beef IMO is the presence of intramuscular fat (marbling). deer are too lean for this too occur.

I see. So the classes taught you what could happen from meat that's not fully cooked... But realistically, what are the chances if getting sick? If you process your own deer you know how safely it was handled. Ask anyone here if they eat their deer pink in the middle and how many have gotten sick from doing so. Probably a pretty low rate, much safer than not fully cooking a commercially raised hamburger, I would think. To me, deer tastes too good medium to cook it all the way, if its a steak or backstrap. And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

I've never known of anyone who has gotten sick from eating venison and, the folks I roll with tend to eat it as bloody as it comes, sometimes even raw. Isn't the official Tn Deer position on college that its all BS anyway? \:D

i know of only one, and it was believed to stem from undercooked jerky. so the risk is extremely rare, but i am still cautious. evrn on the steers we finish, i use rotational wormings of ivomec, dectomax and tramisol to ensure that i have killed even the most resistant strains of intestinal parasites. organic is for the birds. i do agree with the college statement concerning BS. Poser, didnt you teach college classes for a bit? lol

#3239269 - 05/05/13 09:11 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: redblood]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online

lol, maybe.

i know of only one, and it was believed to stem from undercooked jerky. so the risk is extremely rare, but i am still cautious. evrn on the steers we finish, i use rotational wormings of ivomec, dectomax and tramisol to ensure that i have killed even the most resistant strains of intestinal parasites. organic is for the birds. i do agree with the college statement concerning BS. Poser, didnt you teach college classes for a bit? lol

I did, actually. I didn't say that "I" necessarily believe that it is BS (though, there are reasons why I quit \:D ), rather, that was the general consensus.

1.How are intestinal parasites a threat with regards to human consumption of venison?

2. Jerky is a different beast than most venison cooking. Jerky sits at a relatively low temp (~150F) for many hours and the drying process kills the bacteria. If eating premature jerky, no wonder they got sick, but that does not meat the meat itself was tainted, that just means the drying process was not completed.

3. I was doing some reading recently about testing done by Consumer Reports on Turkeys. Scientists there tested 257 samples of raw ground turkey meat that they purchased at grocery stores around the country. They conclude that turkey meat that came from turkeys raised organically without antibiotics was significantly less likely to harbor resistant bacteria compared with meat from conventional turkeys that were given antibiotics. "We think these findings underscore a very important [government] recommendation that we don't need to feed healthy animals antibiotics every day to promote their growth and prevent disease," says Urvashi Rangan, director of the food safety and sustainability group at Consumer Reports.

also of note is this:

Ground turkey labeled “no antibiotics,” “organic,” or “raised without antibiotics” was as likely to harbor bacteria as products without those claims. (After all, even meat from organic birds can pick up bacteria during slaughter or processing.) The good news is that bacteria on those products were much less likely to be antibiotic-­resistant superbugs.

http://www.consumerreports.org/turkey0613

What are your thoughts on this? There seems to be an increasing push towards antibiotic -free meat. Many people I know and many people on this forum's meat intake is greater than 51% wild game (maybe somewhere closer to 75% in many cases). How come we are not seeing more instances of people getting sick? Of all the people I know who regularly eat wild game (not just venison), I don't know a single person who has gotten sick. You only know one, and that was with jerky. So, why the fear?

#3239344 - 05/05/13 10:21 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: Poser]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Good stuff poser

...since last deer season

#3239381 - 05/05/13 11:12 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: Poser]
BamaProud
12 Point

lol, maybe.

I did, actually. I didn't say that "I" necessarily believe that it is BS (though, there are reasons why I quit \:D ), rather, that was the general consensus.

1.How are intestinal parasites a threat with regards to human consumption of venison?

2. Jerky is a different beast than most venison cooking. Jerky sits at a relatively low temp (~150F) for many hours and the drying process kills the bacteria. If eating premature jerky, no wonder they got sick, but that does not meat the meat itself was tainted, that just means the drying process was not completed.

3. I was doing some reading recently about testing done by Consumer Reports on Turkeys. Scientists there tested 257 samples of raw ground turkey meat that they purchased at grocery stores around the country. They conclude that turkey meat that came from turkeys raised organically without antibiotics was significantly less likely to harbor resistant bacteria compared with meat from conventional turkeys that were given antibiotics. "We think these findings underscore a very important [government] recommendation that we don't need to feed healthy animals antibiotics every day to promote their growth and prevent disease," says Urvashi Rangan, director of the food safety and sustainability group at Consumer Reports.

also of note is this:

Ground turkey labeled “no antibiotics,” “organic,” or “raised without antibiotics” was as likely to harbor bacteria as products without those claims. (After all, even meat from organic birds can pick up bacteria during slaughter or processing.) The good news is that bacteria on those products were much less likely to be antibiotic-­resistant superbugs.

What are your thoughts on this? There seems to be an increasing push towards antibiotic -free meat. Many people I know and many people on this forum's meat intake is greater than 51% wild game (maybe somewhere closer to 75% in many cases). How come we are not seeing more instances of people getting sick? Of all the people I know who regularly eat wild game (not just venison), I don't know a single person who has gotten sick. You only know one, and that was with jerky. So, why the fear?

Yall stop quoting quotes...I feel like I am being sucked into a black hole. LOL

#3239383 - 05/05/13 11:15 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: BamaProud]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud

lol, maybe.

also of note is this:

Yall stop quoting quotes...I feel like I am being sucked into a black hole. LOL

Mystery Science Theater 3000....

#3239387 - 05/05/13 11:23 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: catman529]
BamaProud
12 Point

I don't know anyone. I have also been to many deer camps and seen some very questionable handling of meet.

I seriously think if anyone on the planet should have gotten sick by poor food handling it would be my Dad. Its down right scarey watching him clean a deer as well as cook...both game and store bought meat. When My wife was pregnant we decided it would be best if she didn't eat anything he handled/prepared.

#3239995 - 05/05/13 10:04 PM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

content Online

lol, maybe.

also of note is this:

the presence of stomach worms in whitetails and all untreated animals is very prevalent. I saw my first one, while gutting a gut shot deer 2 decades ago. it was a large roundworns that was very much alive. talk about launching my cheerios. of course the adults stay in the digestive tract (small intestine). but the eggs migrate though the muscle tissue during the life cycle. adequate cooking destroys them of course, but i prefer they not be there - but I know they are most times. I have a weak stomach stomach no doubt. I would not last long on Fear Factor for sure
That is why i worm my cattle and the dogs in our kennel to excess (even though we dont eat the dogs, i hate the thought of feeding worms. as far as the study on turkeys and bacteria levels, i will have to read over it. without a doubt, antibiotic resistant bacteria are becoming a huge problem.

#3240104 - 05/06/13 07:03 AM Re: Venison vs. Beef [Re: redblood]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

I prefer my pork products undercooked. I cook bacon until it is barely brown and always cook pork sausage medium rare. Been doing this for about 30 years and have never gotten sick from it. Don't think my rare to medium rare venison will pose any problems.

Oh BTW I drank the water in the Philippines and Mexico and never got sick either. LoL

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
127 registered (Carlos Viagra, JayMc, timberjack86, slinger, Rubberduck270, Hillbilly Hunter, 20 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91613 Topics
1070763 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.109 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.