Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3237793 - 05/03/13 07:56 AM Help with Catfishing
htnseymour
8 Point

Loc: sevier county Tn

I have caught thousands of catfish on a trot line in my life, but it occurred to me last night I have never targeted them on a rod and reel. I need some advice on gear, bait, set-up, and best strategy to catch some on a rod and reel so I can take my godson.

Thanks

#3237821 - 05/03/13 08:14 AM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: htnseymour]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Well if you are catching them on a trot line then I would use whatever bait that was working for you then. I like to use cut bait or chicken breast and normally use a carolina rig in a little current.

He would probably enjoy jugging for catfish also. My nephews love chasing the pool noodles swimming around and pulling up the fish. Good luck!

#3237885 - 05/03/13 09:11 AM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: Bayou Buck]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Hook line and sinker.. thats it.. I use the kiss method./..
keep
it
simple
stupid
put him a circle hook on clamp on a sinker.. bait it with a rooster liver,a bluegill head,dead minnow, or a nightcrawler.. throw it on the bottom and wait.. it dont get much simpler.. plus.. it works...

#3237968 - 05/03/13 10:17 AM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: pressfit]
bowtechgump
Spike

Loc: Maury Co.,Tennessee

I fish Pickwick/Tennessee River and run a float around 5'-6' above a nightcrawler on bluff lines for channels. Same spot for blues and whites just use cut bait and fish around 15'-20', flatheads the same just live bluegill or shad. Are you fishing lakes, rivers, creeks or farm ponds?
#3238314 - 05/03/13 05:23 PM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: pressfit]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: pressfit
Hook line and sinker.. thats it.. I use the kiss method./..
keep
it
simple
stupid
put him a circle hook on clamp on a sinker.. bait it with a rooster liver,a bluegill head,dead minnow, or a nightcrawler.. throw it on the bottom and wait.. it dont get much simpler.. plus.. it works...
This^^^ I will also add raw shrimp from walmart works well too.

#3238396 - 05/03/13 07:10 PM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: timberjack86]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

This is a topic I still need help with myself, but I'll add limiting the amount of time you spend in one spot.

If I'm using stink/dip bait, fifteen minutes without a bite is my limit. Using other baits, thirty minutes. I especially enforce this limit on myself during April and May, June too if this cool weather holds.

On big lakes, I think power generation at the dam has a big influence on the daytime bite. One summer on Pickwick, we put out 35 noodles early in the morning spread over a variety of areas. We worked them for three or four hours and only caught one or two fish. Middle of the day, it was like someone flipped a switch, and we started catching fish. At the same time, I noticed that the ones we placed in creeks and coves were moving out toward open water. I assume power generation at the dam was creating current explaining our improved luck and the movement of our noodles.

Fishing noodles like that is a great way to learn a lot about catfish locations. General rules of thumb for location, in the spring look for them to be shallow in creeks/coves or near bluffs/rocks. Summer look for them deep near channels and bluffs.

Big rains can also be a God send to the catfish fishing. If I were in the Memphis area, I'd be after them tomorrow. Look for creeks and wet weather streams dumping storm water into the lake. The best day I ever had was on Pickwick after two straight days of rain brought on by a tropical storm. We caught a cooler full on 35 noodles in three runs, that is bait/drop and when the last one's out start collecting your fish.

If you're taking a kid, check out TWRA's family fishing lakes. They are usually well-stocked with catfish.

#3238495 - 05/03/13 08:35 PM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: WMAn]
TNRazorback
6 Point

Loc: Tipton County, TN

Originally Posted By: WMAn
If I were in the Memphis area, I'd be after them tomorrow.

Ok, that got me curious. Where?

#3238626 - 05/03/13 11:04 PM Re: Help with Catfishing [Re: TNRazorback]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Any lake with catfish that has a bunch of storm water flowing in it. You probably should have been there as soon as it stopped raining today though. Tomorrow may be too late.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (Mossy Oak, feldmutze, Blue5, mrjim43, SAWDUST, gillis28, 12 invisible) and 120 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90890 Topics
1062136 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.