Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3236422 - 05/01/13 03:39 PM Rural King deer feed recall
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/deer-feed-pulled-from-rural-king-shelves-in-7-states

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3236440 - 05/01/13 04:00 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

WHAT?! Corn contaminated with potentially deadly aflatoxin being packaged and sold as "deer corn?!" VERY common practice and a major reason not to feed this stuff to wildlife.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236442 - 05/01/13 04:02 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Poser]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I wonder what other brands the same batch of corn was sold under?

#3236455 - 05/01/13 04:14 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I wonder what other brands the same batch of corn was sold under?

Just remember that every state has different laws about corn/grains tainted with aflatoxin. Some states have very strict rules about how it can be sold (not for animal feed), hence tainted corn/grains is transport from strictly regulated states and dump onto the animal/wildlife feed market in states with less strict laws.

Again, this is an amazingly common practice.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236462 - 05/01/13 04:23 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: BSK]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

It is also well documented that aflatoxin infected corn can have a dramatic effect on survival in turkeys, especially the poults.

Yet another reason I would like to see feeding of all wildlife outlawed unless you are within 50yds of your personal dwelling.

#3236685 - 05/01/13 08:32 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

content Online
It is also well documented that aflatoxin infected corn can have a dramatic effect on survival in turkeys, especially the poults.

Yet another reason I would like to see feeding of all wildlife outlawed unless you are within 50yds of your personal dwelling.

What difference would that make. it is either bad for them or not.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3236732 - 05/01/13 09:11 PM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Bone Collector]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector

It would allow people to have bird feeders, but no one would be running trail cams or hunting over it. There would not be any doubt about food placed in the woods where you are hunting. That is what difference it would make. The prospect of outlawing bird feeders would bring all the little old ladies that like to watch birds in their back yard out of the wood work.

BTW, it is also well documented that bird feeders are terrible for song birds, but you can't fight the entire populace at once now can you?

#3236915 - 05/02/13 07:30 AM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

What Diehard Hunter said.

#3236927 - 05/02/13 07:53 AM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

It would allow people to have bird feeders, but no one would be running trail cams or hunting over it. . . . . . . . The prospect of outlawing bird feeders would bring all the little old ladies that like to watch birds in their back yard out of the wood work.

BTW, it is also well documented that bird feeders are terrible for song birds, but you can't fight the entire populace at once now can you?

My opinion has only become stronger over time, that those who regularly "feed" deer corn (per feeders or scattering on the ground), and talking specifically about TENNESSEE, are doing more harm than good, both to "their" deer (and turkey), and to their ability to become better hunters. Show me a guy hunting over a corn pile, and I'll show you a guy who is more a shooter than a hunter, and he's sabotaging his own opportunity to become a more accomplished hunter.

There is another issue that few have considered: Increased predation that comes when one regularly feeds wildlife in a specific spot. Having a deer feeder out in the woods is a great way to lose more button bucks to bobcat, dog, and coyote predation ----- and you'll never know about most of your losses.

#3236930 - 05/02/13 08:03 AM Re: Rural King deer feed recall [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

content Online

It would allow people to have bird feeders, but no one would be running trail cams or hunting over it. There would not be any doubt about food placed in the woods where you are hunting. That is what difference it would make. The prospect of outlawing bird feeders would bring all the little old ladies that like to watch birds in their back yard out of the wood work.

I guess I was looking at it like you were saying go ahead and put corn out so long as it is within 50 feet of your house. If that is what you are saying, I don't see the point, as it will still get the toxins into the herd and people in the country shoot off their back/front porch. \:D

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
135 registered (Forvols, AllOutdoors, AdamMcK, thebutcher, scn, woodyard, 16 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90994 Topics
1063332 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.057 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.