Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3236104 - 05/01/13 07:34 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: pseshooter300]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: pseshooter300
Well I been using truth cam's I don't know I guess they have a red light. I heard deer didn't see color. Any truth to that?

No. Deer are not colorblind. Deer have an excellent ability to see colors in the shorter wavelengths, such as blues and greens, and even ultraviolet--even better than a human--but their ability to see the longest wavelengths, oranges and reds, is not as good as a human's.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236171 - 05/01/13 09:13 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Maybe the reason I don't get anything ever on camera. I always thought the sound may spook them, but i guess it could be both sound and the red light. I always have my cameras over salt/minerals in the summer or over food plots during fall/ winter.
I always get does, fawns, and small bucks but never bucks I would consider shooting.

Maybe I should quit using them so that the deer will come out in my food plots and salt licks so that I can shoot them.

Edited by woodsman87 (05/01/13 09:15 AM)

#3236319 - 05/01/13 12:43 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: woodsman87]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Maybe the reason I don't get anything ever on camera. I always thought the sound may spook them, but i guess it could be both sound and the red light. I always have my cameras over salt/minerals in the summer or over food plots during fall/ winter.
I always get does, fawns, and small bucks but never bucks I would consider shooting.

Maybe I should quit using them so that the deer will come out in my food plots and salt licks so that I can shoot them.

I have one lousy black flash camera by Hunten that makes an audible noise when it triggers. When I have it in video mode I can clearly see that the deer are alerted by the noise. This camera was basically a waste of money because even though deer can't see it initially, once they hear it they see it and then they are gone and many of them don't come back.

#3236337 - 05/01/13 01:18 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

Some cameras produce an audible "clunk" when they trigger as the night filter moves over the camera's lens. This absolutely can spook deer.

As for not using cams, if you use cams that 1) don't have an audible clunk or only switch to night filter once each night, and 2) are black-flash, you won't have problems with deer being spooked by the camera and avoiding the area.

Although don't forget human scent around the camera itself. Not being careful about human scent when setting up and checking the camera can easily leave enough scent in the area to cause hunter-wary deer to avoid the location.

But all that said, don't think it's impossible to use cameras without driving hunter-wary deer away from the area. I often have cameras very near if not directly in my hunting set-ups, and I can get the same mature bucks to come back over and over again to that location, even though I check my cameras weekly. But I only use quiet black-flash cameras and I'm careful about my scent when setting up and checking the cameras.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236446 - 05/01/13 04:08 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

As an addition to my above post, it doesn't take going to extremes to keep human scent to a minimum around cameras. The two practices I follow that really seem to help are: 1) wearing a cheap plastic-type rain suit while visiting cameras (holds scent in and doesn't allow scents to stick to the outer clothing layer), and 2) not walking but riding an ATV right up to cameras. Riding an ATV or driving a vehicle right up to the camera appears to eliminate much of scent-based camera avoidance. WALKING trails leading to cameras really seems to produce the most scent-based camera avoidance, and from what I've seen, the farther you have to walk, the greater the avoidance produced.

#3236497 - 05/01/13 05:23 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: BSK]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
dh1984,

As Vermin93 pointed out, placing IR (red glow) cameras high and pointing them down will greatly reduce camera spook and camera avoidance. The big downside to this method is reduced trigger area. In essence, the area where a deer must walk to trigger the camera is then limited to just a spot on the ground instead of the entire field of view of the camera. Now if you are only monitoring a salt lick or feeder or scrape, then the mount high technique works quite well.

yeah i know. but i caught a guy on a Atv riding in front of my one trail cam so i figure i would put it up high and lock it to the tree to keep it from getting gone. but anyway i seen on my camera it's self that some deer was trying to stay care of it and plus every time it takes a pictures they seem to be on alert alot.

#3236622 - 05/01/13 07:41 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: dh1984]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

Good info
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (darn2ten, fasteddie, Bow Hunter, PillsburyDoughboy, BuckDropper, a baggett) and 53 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91876 Topics
1073693 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.085 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.