Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3235408 - 04/30/13 09:06 AM Done a Trail cam study
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

I have been doing a trail cam study for about a year now.

I have found out that if you put a IR cam up a tree about 8 to 10 foot off the ground that it won't spook deer.Well low and behold it works but you have to angle it down towards the ground before it will trigger thou.

but i got over 400 pictures within 2 months on one camera but anyway here is a picture of my camera to show you how far off the ground i got mine and it's working like a charm and not spooking the deer.

#3235443 - 04/30/13 09:47 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: dh1984]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

That is a pretty good idea.

#3235471 - 04/30/13 10:41 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: deerhunter10]
pastorbmp
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg,TN

Yep. I have found the same thing. I actually put them about 6 feet up, from time to time they will notice it at that height, but I have not had any pics of deer spooking and no indication (that I can tell) of flash avoidance. I put them about 6-7 feet up and angle them down. At that height, you can still get quite a bit of background.

1Ti 1:15: ...Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

#3235494 - 04/30/13 11:11 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: pastorbmp]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

How are they spooked by the camera I set mine out and the deer never seem scared in fact I have had deer turkey and coon look right in the camera
#3235498 - 04/30/13 11:16 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: pseshooter300]
dh1984
10 Point

they get spooked by the red glow that some cameras do when taking pictures. i had a few deer spook on a few occasions and never been back.so i done this study with my trail cam and they seem to not be spooked by it now.

#3235625 - 04/30/13 02:01 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: dh1984]
pseshooter300
8 Point

Loc: kingsport

Well I been using truth cam's I don't know I guess they have a red light. I heard deer didn't see color. Any truth to that?
#3235724 - 04/30/13 03:55 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: pseshooter300]
dh1984
10 Point

I don't know yet but i think they can see black and white but we will never know.But i know for sure the red glow will scare deer because i seen some pictures where they was on alert. but i'll keep on the study and find out what scares them and everything.

#3235859 - 04/30/13 07:39 PM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: dh1984]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

I have 20 trail cams deployed in multiple States on public and private land. I use a climbing stick, my harness and a lineman's belt to mount them 10 to 12 ft high and angle them down using one of the many trail cam mounts that are available today. Very, very, very rarely have I got a picture of someone who actually looked up and saw the camera. It has probably only happened about 5 or 6 times. It's always when a hunter sees a Trophy Rock and knows there must be a camera around. They keep looking around just above ground level for the camera and sometimes they just walk off, but sometimes they look up and see it. If they want it they will have to put in the effort to come back and climb the tree and cut the cable lock. If I pull a memory card and see that someone has recently seen one of my cameras, then I pull down that camera and relocate it elsewhere. Bottom line is zero thefts in 3 years.

Very rarely a deer or coyote will notice the camera at night when it's on video mode because the red IR flash will stay on for 10 or 30 seconds, depending on how I have the camera set. Most bucks and all coyotes have spooked on the rare occasion when this happens. A doe that notices the camera will typically just stare and bob their heads to try and get a whif of the camera. Most of the time they go back to licking the rock, but sometimes they get uncomfortable and walk off. That is the great thing about video mode over picture mode - you can see how the animals react if they see the camera. The bad thing is it chews up battery life.

The biggest negative about mounting a camera high out of reach and aiming it down is that you lose some of the field of view that you would get if the camera was mounted at a typical 4ft and aimed horizontal to the ground. However, if you are aiming the camera down at a specific site like a Trophy Rock, the loss of view is something you can live with in my opinion.

With all the new black flash cameras that are hitting the market this year at reasonable prices, I think anyone in the market for a new trail camera should consider getting one to avoid this issue of potentially spooking deer with a white or red IR flash.

#3236099 - 05/01/13 07:26 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: Vermin93]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

dh1984,

As Vermin93 pointed out, placing IR (red glow) cameras high and pointing them down will greatly reduce camera spook and camera avoidance. The big downside to this method is reduced trigger area. In essence, the area where a deer must walk to trigger the camera is then limited to just a spot on the ground instead of the entire field of view of the camera. Now if you are only monitoring a salt lick or feeder or scrape, then the mount high technique works quite well.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236102 - 05/01/13 07:31 AM Re: Done a Trail cam study [Re: pseshooter300]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: pseshooter300
How are they spooked by the camera I set mine out and the deer never seem scared in fact I have had deer turkey and coon look right in the camera

Two problems exist with red-glow (and white flash) cameras. One is camera "spook," where deer jump away from the camera flash, and the other is camera "avoidance," where once the deer have seen the camera flash they don't return to the area. Camera avoidance is by far the biggest problem, as most camera users don't have the luxury of constantly moving their cameras to overcome the problem of deer avoiding the cameras (and it is very difficult to convince some users that camera avoidance is occurring UNTIL that user tries a black-flash camera and sees the difference in number of pictures and repeat visits by the same deer).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
9 registered (Tenn.Guy, reloadxx, BlountArrow, BamaProud, jbird, Bowdacious) and 58 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88866 Topics
1039530 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.398 seconds in which 0.146 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.