Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3234403 - 04/29/13 08:17 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
I'll probably get slammed on this but if I didn't have much land to hunt and I really wanted to kill a buck or two I'd forfeit all my hunting with any weapon until prime time hunting rolled around.

No slamming here. I totally agree and that's how I hunt even a fairly large chunk of land. I wait until the peak "cruising" by older bucks that occurs just before the rut kicks off.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3234432 - 04/29/13 08:45 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I'll probably get slammed on this but if I didn't have much land to hunt and I really wanted to kill a buck or two I'd forfeit all my hunting with any weapon until prime time hunting rolled around.

No slamming here. I totally agree and that's how I hunt even a fairly large chunk of land. I wait until the peak "cruising" by older bucks that occurs just before the rut kicks off.

I wish I was disciplined like yall and disciplined like 102 was, but I can't do it. I hunt every chance I get from the first day of bow until the last day of rifle. It really isn't that many days since I am so busy, but I may mess up my best spots by hunting them on bad days. I do this because if I wait for a good day it may happen while I have to be at work or something.\

I had one of the most unlucky weather/hunting oppurtunities/timing ever this year. I keep up with my weather and dates and rut dates. No lie, in Southern Middle TN (Giles County), it was in the mid 70s during the day, and mid 50s during the night, on both of my rut weekends when I got to go, December 1-2, and December 8-9. From opening day of rifle all the way till about December 10th is the best. It was warm during my Thanksgiving Holidays, and warm on the best time of the year during my weekend hunting. It was avearge temps during middle of the week. I am a school teacher, so there aren't any changing work schedule to work on weekends.
I know it sounds like I am a big complainer, but I do blame most of my bad luck this past season on the bad weather on the same days that I had the oppurtunity to hunt.
Just tough luck, and maybe this fall I will get a "booner"

#3235352 - 04/30/13 07:37 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

I wish I was disciplined like yall and disciplined like 102 was, but I can't do it. I hunt every chance I get from the first day of bow until the last day of rifle. It really isn't that many days since I am so busy, but I may mess up my best spots by hunting them on bad days. I do this because if I wait for a good day it may happen while I have to be at work or something.

And that's just the reality of the situation for most hunters woodsman87. Most hunters have limited times to hunt and so they go when they have the opportunity to go. Sometimes the timing and weather work out and sometimes they don't.

I do almost all of my hunting during only November (because it is the rut month in my area). I've experienced years when the weather absolutely sucked during most of November, and the hunting was pretty sucky as a result. That's just the odds...

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3236387 - 05/01/13 02:37 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I'm retired now so I hunt any and every day season is open. With the exception of about 3 weeks I did the same when I worked. Having said that, I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of land to hunt. I hunt "PRIME TIME" stands and when not, I hunt other stands. Because I have a lot of land I'm able to do this and hunt so often. After prime time I may continue to hunt my "prime time" stands. I figure that late into the season I have nothing to lose.

#3236448 - 05/01/13 04:09 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Mike Belt]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

I balance my hunting pressure between several public land spots and the private land (85 acres) on which I share access with others.

The private land is not "respected" enough, and gets over-hunted to the point that I've noticed a significant drop-off in deer sightings.

Last season was the first year in 7 years that I didn't kill a deer off of it. Instead, I killed 3 deer on 3 different public land hunts (1 bow, 2 muzzleloader) and missed a 4th due to equipment failure.

So the morale of my story is that, if you are in a decent deer hunting county with a tiny tract of private land, save it for instances where you have zero travel time or want to hunt it at the peak of the rut. Spread your attention across other places instead.

It's fun to scout land and find new spots. Pack a lunch, get to the back of a place, and drag one out. You might not want to do it with every single deer, but it's pretty rewarding.

#3236457 - 05/01/13 04:16 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Non-Typical

Crosshairy,

From your post above, it sounds like some of your public land spots are fairly productive. Do you find you have to work very hard to find "good" spots on public land, or do you believe good public areas are more common than most hunters think?

#3236804 - 05/01/13 10:22 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Crosshairy,

From your post above, it sounds like some of your public land spots are fairly productive. Do you find you have to work very hard to find "good" spots on public land, or do you believe good public areas are more common than most hunters think?

I'm a meat hunter 90% of the time, so "productive" for me just means that deer are present.

Of the three I killed, one was a doe from the President's Island antlerless hunt, which is a bit of an anomaly when compiling statistics.

My personal opinion is that, for people with "meat" standards, there are good public land options throughout much of the state. The two locations that I killed deer on, however, probably required 30+ hours of Internet research to locate. My criteria is that I don't want to see another vehicle wherever it is that I park, and so far I've been successful at keeping it that way.

The downside to my hunting spots are that they are small enough area of quality habitat that they really can't sustain additional pressure. In other words, I can offer generic words of encouragement, but I can't even give people a hint about where I'm hunting without potentially ruining the spots. They are out there, you just have to be resourceful and willing to walk a bit!

My spots are special to me because deer sighting frequency is high. The reason for that is a high concentration of habitat that holds deer even in high hunting pressure scenarios (thickets, mostly). I hunt the ugly land that people overlook, and I kill deer there on a somewhat regular basis. If you know what to look for, it is more available than people realize.

#3236917 - 05/02/13 07:31 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Crosshairy]
BSK
Non-Typical

Thanks Crosshairy. Interesting info.

#3237041 - 05/02/13 10:31 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I got about 190-200 acres of private land to hunt, but it gets pressured by not only me, but the guy that hunts with me on it and neighboring property. As of me and friend, It is both of our lands combined, we just let each other hunt on each others land. But I hunt with him and pull for him if you know what I mean. It is the neighbors that do the pressuring. Hunting everyday, shooting everything they see, and so forth, but neighbors do not bow hunt. I probably ruin my spots during bow season some, but I am afraid if I don't hunt them when I can, when muzzle or gun season opens the neighbors would have done shot everything up.

I do not want to get bashed for this, and I am not complaining or whining. There is nothing I can do about somebody else hunting the way that they want to hunt within their boundraies. It is just frustrating. I have killed several deer, and some decent bucks but I am to the point now where I don't much feel like shooting a buck unless I am going to mount it. Maybe I should lower my standards, maybe I should start small game hunting, I don't know. Maybe I should dish out some gas money and start hunting public land or my far away private spot.

#3237820 - 05/03/13 08:14 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I do not want to get bashed for this, and I am not complaining or whining. There is nothing I can do about somebody else hunting the way that they want to hunt within their boundraies. It is just frustrating.

Yes, the effect neighbors hunting tactics have on your land can be frustrating. Hopefully, you can find a way to take advantage of what they are doing (finding a way to play their hunting pressure to your advantage).

Quote:
I have killed several deer, and some decent bucks but I am to the point now where I don't much feel like shooting a buck unless I am going to mount it. Maybe I should lower my standards, maybe I should start small game hunting, I don't know. Maybe I should dish out some gas money and start hunting public land or my far away private spot.

I'll be the first to admit I do a lot of "trophy hunter" bashing. However, it is not the trophy hunting I'm bashing. Every hunter should decide for themselves what they want to kill and why. If a hunter only wants to shoot "mountable" bucks, good for them and good luck with that endeavor. My problem with some trophy hunters is their demand that everyone else should have the same harvest standards they do (and their real reason for demanding that is so that they personally will be more successful--more younger bucks passed) and their belief that only hunters with the same standards as themselves are "worthy" hunters.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (barkscaler, Aquaholic, easttntrapper, paincave_2000, TNTomtaker01, jbranham63, 2 invisible) and 57 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99055 Topics
1164644 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.05 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.