Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3233674 - 04/28/13 09:02 AM Apple and Pear trees
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

How much upkeep do i need to do with them, and do any kind grow faster than the others? My property is 25 miles away and im wanting to plant a few apple trees, or 1 apple and 1 pear tree. Can i plant them using miracle grow/top soil mix and be good? Or will i need to check on them often. Or would i be wasting my time and money? Never planted a tree in my life. But would like to plant some around my salt block and probably put a cage around them so the deer wont rub them down. Then if they work and produce then ill plant more in the future.

Any tips would be great appreciated!

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#3234392 - 04/29/13 08:03 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: rem270]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

you cant go wrong with planting them.they will just need to be watered good once a week if we get any rain at all.if not,maybe twice a week.if your going to plant small ones I would use the tree tubes.dont fertilize them.let them get established first.i used promix to mix in my soil to help mine.they are doing great
#3234418 - 04/29/13 08:29 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I am glad this question was asked. I am thinking about planting some too.

How long does it take apples and pears to start producing a good amount of fruits? No particular type of apples or pear trees. IF yall know tell me, I want to plant the quickest producing types of trees.

#3234614 - 04/29/13 11:11 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: woodsman87]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I am glad this question was asked. I am thinking about planting some too.

How long does it take apples and pears to start producing a good amount of fruits? No particular type of apples or pear trees. IF yall know tell me, I want to plant the quickest producing types of trees.
Well.it depends,there are many kinds of apples and pears.Many apples need a pollinator,some are more disease prone than others.

Actually,it would be a great thing if Steven Stone could answer these questions,and there are ,many,and get Ruger to make a sticky out of this topic.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3234616 - 04/29/13 11:13 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: rem270]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: rem270
How much upkeep do i need to do with them, and do any kind grow faster than the others? My property is 25 miles away and im wanting to plant a few apple trees, or 1 apple and 1 pear tree. Can i plant them using miracle grow/top soil mix and be good? Or will i need to check on them often. Or would i be wasting my time and money? Never planted a tree in my life. But would like to plant some around my salt block and probably put a cage around them so the deer wont rub them down. Then if they work and produce then ill plant more in the future.

Any tips would be great appreciated!
The more sun the better,most likely need to be sprayed and watered,many varieties,different needs.

Dont plant em very close to the salt block.

#3234617 - 04/29/13 11:13 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: Football Hunter]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

1 apple and 1 pear probably wont work,need pollinators.

#3234637 - 04/29/13 11:34 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: rem270]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: rem270
How much upkeep do i need to do with them, and do any kind grow faster than the others? Any tips would be great appreciated!

So, here's my take and I'm no expert. I have 130 acres that I planted 15 varieties of Pears and Apples on. I bought mine when they were already 6ft tall in 3 to 5 gallon pots and they have been in the ground for 3 years now. I've never fertilized them, but I do prune them and I believe that is necessary. Early on, I lost about 4 of them to bucks rubbing the tree and bears breaking them off about 2 foot off the ground. I guess the pink ribbon and tags made it look fun to the bears??? So, I highly recommend fencing around the trees to prevent browsing and rubbing if you're planting a manageable number of trees. Last year I had a few Macintosh, Auburn Black, and Dwarf Romes produce and when I say a few I'm talking like about (3) per tree roughly.

If I had it to do over I would have planted less pears and more apples only because after a TWRA Biologist visited my place he viewed pears as being a little too invasive. I guess in the eyes of the biological community anything that is invasive is not a good thing regardless of what it is. Also, if I had it to do over I would have started planting more hardwood saplings and more shrubs that deer forage on. I recently planted (9) Dunstan Chestnuts that were in 3 gallon pots and fenced them off as well. Just remember that the more trees you buy the more you have to protect them and prune them. I've yet to find one, other than whips/saplings, that you just throw in the ground and walk away from.

#3234639 - 04/29/13 11:36 AM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: Football Hunter]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
1 apple and 1 pear probably wont work,need pollinators.

Exactly. Most apples are going to need a tree of another species to pollinate them; can't remember about the pears.

#3234962 - 04/29/13 06:01 PM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: BlountArrow]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

There are varieties that are more vigorous than others and will grow faster, it just takes time though. My most vigorous apple is Goldrush or Hardy Cumberland. You can mix in potting soils if you so desire. They will require maintenance to achieve peak production and sometimes just to keep them alive though you can get by with nothing, that would not be all that normal and production would be decreased. It is best to be able to prune, train, and spray. Dont get to close to the salt lick for sure, that would be toxic. Be sure to cage the trees or its a good bet you will lose them to browsing or rubbing or both. Your talking years for much production so you might as well get on the boat and plant a few or not even get on it, IMO. If limited to two though, again IMO, plant one late season disease resistant apple such as Liberty, Enterprise, etc, and one good fruit producing crabapple such as a Dolgo, Transcendent, Hewes, Brandywine, etc. for more production but also pollination. Sort of a risk with two trees though, never know when an act of God might end one or both at any time. Theres alot to it, just ask, and Ill get around to it.

#3234971 - 04/29/13 06:14 PM Re: Apple and Pear trees [Re: smstone22]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Here is a Link to some good info from U.T.
https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publications/Pages/fruitsGarden.aspx
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (jmoreland, mossyoakmantn, golfpro, edtcase, Master Chief, in the dog house!, 9 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91829 Topics
1073146 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.1 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.