Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#3231344 - 04/25/13 10:05 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
 Originally Posted By: BSK
I've spent an inordinate amount of timing statistically assessing the factors that produce the most and least older buck sightings by hunters. And although every property and hunting set-up is a unique situation, when looking at hunter success in seeing older bucks--from strictly a statistical perspective--the #1 factor is hunting pressure from that hunting set-up. The number of times a particular stand has been hunted in a given year is statistically the most accurate predictor of success in seeing older bucks, and the two are inversely related: the more times the stand has been hunted, the lower the odds of seeing an older buck.

I have a big block of land to hunt, but its about 60 miles away so I do not go much. It gets plenty of pressure from a few other hunters by the way. But I live on my own personal property, and I get to hunt it regularly. 200acres +- a few. If I have the time and enough gas money I can go to my far spot. But most the time I am stuck to my home spot. So it is I either go hunting and risk scaring them, or just not go at all. I have always had that problem of hunting too much. I hunt whenever I can since I do not get to go much, so it don't matter what the wind or anything is, I try to hunt it accordingly but sometimes you can't.

Do yall suggest I not go as much on my small home spot, or hunt it hard while I can? I would hate to not go if I had the oppurtunity to go.

Really just depends on what your goals are. If you are hunting mature bucks, or a specific buck, then yes, that can have an impact. At the same time time, 200 acres to yourself, should give you some room to hunt when you get the chance/want to and still keep the pressure of certain parts of the property until the time is right.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3231370 - 04/25/13 10:31 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I've spent an inordinate amount of timing statistically assessing the factors that produce the most and least older buck sightings by hunters. And although every property and hunting set-up is a unique situation, when looking at hunter success in seeing older bucks--from strictly a statistical perspective--the #1 factor is hunting pressure from that hunting set-up. The number of times a particular stand has been hunted in a given year is statistically the most accurate predictor of success in seeing older bucks, and the two are inversely related: the more times the stand has been hunted, the lower the odds of seeing an older buck.

I have a big block of land to hunt, but its about 60 miles away so I do not go much. It gets plenty of pressure from a few other hunters by the way. But I live on my own personal property, and I get to hunt it regularly. 200acres +- a few. If I have the time and enough gas money I can go to my far spot. But most the time I am stuck to my home spot. So it is I either go hunting and risk scaring them, or just not go at all. I have always had that problem of hunting too much. I hunt whenever I can since I do not get to go much, so it don't matter what the wind or anything is, I try to hunt it accordingly but sometimes you can't.

Do yall suggest I not go as much on my small home spot, or hunt it hard while I can? I would hate to not go if I had the oppurtunity to go.

I suggest you go whenever and wherever you want and enjoy hunting. Isn't that why you hunt, for the enjoyment?

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3231373 - 04/25/13 10:35 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: bowriter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter

I suggest you go whenever and wherever you want and enjoy hunting. Isn't that why you hunt, for the enjoyment?

That is why hunt bowriter, it is fun to me, and I like to kill deer. I just sometimes think I am contradicting myself by hunting so hard.
And even though I have 200 acres to almost myself, sometimes my brother or a friend hunt it not much, it just doesn't seem like a lot of land. And I never target a buck, it is hard to because I never see any big deer anyways. I just hunt, and when hunting if I see a buck that excites me, usually a 8 pointer with about 13 inch spread, I shoot it. No matter the weapon, no matter the season.
I think I have over hunted it though, havent killed in 3 years on it, and before that I shot one or two every year on it.

#3231414 - 04/25/13 11:19 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

If I ever agreed with BSK on anything,pressure is it.Yeah I can see does a young bucks most times from stands that get hunted a lot,but seeing mature bucks almost always come from the least pressured stands.The 2 bucks taken off my place this year came from a stand that had not been hunted ,or even been to since it was set.The other,that stand got hunted once,in early bow season.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3231456 - 04/25/13 12:01 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Personally, I suggest just moving around, and not hunting the same stand site over and over. It doesn't take much a move to couter-act the pressure on that one stand site. Generally just relocate out of visual range of the previous site.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3231464 - 04/25/13 12:21 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Personally, I suggest just moving around, and not hunting the same stand site over and over. It doesn't take much a move to couter-act the pressure on that one stand site. Generally just relocate out of visual range of the previous site.

That is what I try to do BSK, I rarely hunt in the same spot or same exact tree two hunts in a row. I have one spot that is three funnels that all come together, and it is the most textbook looking spot I have ever seen. I think I have hunted it 12 times, and have killed 5 deer out of it. I am scared to hunt it too much because my success rate is too good. None of those were mature bucks, all were does with bow or muzzleloader, but I feel like if I keep on playing that funnel every once in a while I will get my best ever. It is my honey hole that I don't use very much. I try to only hunt it about 4 or 5 times a year, and I try to only use it on good hunting days, like no wind, cooler weather, ect. and try to focus it on during the rut.

After Rut is when I have went back in there shooting does with my bow for meat.

#3231632 - 04/25/13 04:04 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I mainly hunt Giles, which was #1, and secondly Lincoln, which was like #6.
I must be a terrible deer hunter, because I haven't killed a buck in 3 seasons and I hunt two of the most productive counties in the state.
Also, I see deer on probably 25% of my hunts, but it wasn't always like that. I used to kill 2 or 3 a year, and see deer all the time. I either killed them all or am very unlucky. I think it is the luck though.

I have one place in Giles to hunt. The first season i saw deer every time. the last two have been spotty. Having land in a good county is one thing, but like anywhere, if there is no reason for them to be there, or another parcel has better, habitat and food, you may not see any deer.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3232104 - 04/26/13 08:14 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Bone Collector]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I'll probably get slammed on this but if I didn't have much land to hunt and I really wanted to kill a buck or two I'd forfeit all my hunting with any weapon until prime time hunting rolled around. Even if you don't pressure them off your land by over hunting you can certainly make them all go nocturnal or just use your land during the night. Of course this also depends on what kind of surrounding hunting pressure you have and the terrain features you have and those of the adjoining land.

Edited by Mike Belt (04/26/13 08:16 AM)

#3232553 - 04/26/13 07:19 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Mike Belt]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
I'll probably get slammed on this but if I didn't have much land to hunt and I really wanted to kill a buck or two I'd forfeit all my hunting with any weapon until prime time hunting rolled around. Even if you don't pressure them off your land by over hunting you can certainly make them all go nocturnal or just use your land during the night. Of course this also depends on what kind of surrounding hunting pressure you have and the terrain features you have and those of the adjoining land.
I agree,I try to move around different properties,hunting on very marginal days,over and over, can have a big effect on deer movement later.JMO

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3233621 - 04/28/13 07:20 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Football Hunter]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I totally agree about the pressure theory. Except during one time of the year, the rut. And when I say rut, I mean the hard chasing phase that for whatever reason, I rarely see. This rare time when does are about to come into estrous, and stress levels are in perfect harmony with pressure, weather, and the herd, is something I have only seen a handful of times in 30 plus years of hunting.

At this time, I throw the notebook out the window. Big bucks may show up anywhere at any time. I just make sure I am out there in a stand.

But for most of my mature buck hunts, I assume there will be a trickle rut at best, and that I am hunting pressured deer.

This means I consult my notes as for what acorn trees may be in the area. And what terrain features may cause "funneled" movement to or from these feeding areas.

And I wait for the wind to be right for that travel area.

It may be a bottleneck caused by a body of water and a field, or blow down, or road, or guardrail, or ridge, rock, bluff, or house.

But I wait for the right wind, and expect to kill on the first sit.

I generally have many (climbing) stand sites spread out over different counties and states. Mostly public land and miles apart to affect different doe groups.

Also, I rarely target a specific buck. This is just too difficult and frustrating on public land. Rather, I tend to be opportunistic. If a good representative buck (for the area I am hunting) gives me a shot, I rarely pass.
At AEDC this may be a 90-100 inch 8 point. In Illinois, it may be a 120-130 inch 8 point.

For me the key is endurance. And at my stage in hunting, this usually means easy in, easy out. Multiple pre scouted (usually months prior) stand locations that are very convenient and often over looked.

I also assume that after my first hunt in that location, my scent has begun to saturate the area. I assume that upon my departure from the area, my scent and evidence of human entrusion stays behind for hours, if not days depending on weather conditions. I assume that sometime in my absence and before my next hunt in that location, there will be a mature deer that visits the area and detects my left over scent.
And if this happens, I assume that the chances of this mature deer returning are seriously deminished for a while.

Now if I multiply these factors by repeated hunts to this same stand location...then my chances for this stand site producing become much worse.

In a nutshell...my best chance for success on a mature buck is almost always the first time I hunt that stand.

Indeed, my best bucks have almost ALL been taken the first time I sat that location.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JRH, skysoldier173, jtw465, lovetohunt96, Csfraley
13413 Registered Users
Who's Online
29 registered (biglefty20, Tn Joe, MUP, TNGal, Backstrapcrazy, 2in1shot) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13413 Members
42 Forums
96723 Topics
1132519 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.