Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3230581 - 04/24/13 04:27 PM Sardis Lake Crappie Fishing
KillDux
Button

Loc: TN

Hey Guys-

Dad and I have always enjoyed chasing bass on big lakes. Last year on the way home from Enid, he looks over at me and says "that's the last time I throw a carolina rig on main lake points all morning for five bites in the summer heat". He was kidding of course but he was serious about wanting to slow down and concentrate on killing crappie with a jigging pole in the back of a boat.

Fishing with your Dad should be the priority, so I've forfeited the turkeys this year and we've concentrated on Sardis this year and done fair to midland. We caught them using the grass in Hurricane a couple of times and know that cove fairly well but when they are not there, well they are not there.

I don't want anyone's favorite spot but if anyone could help with some waypoints to get us started, I would appreciate it greatly. We jig fish only, we are not pulling crankbaits or spider rigging.

I have a 19' Bass Tracker with a 90 on the back so I can get around to different areas if I knew where to head next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

#3230636 - 04/24/13 05:05 PM Re: Sardis Lake Crappie Fishing [Re: KillDux]
MFBAB
10 Point

Loc: Memphis, TN

As far a places, check out Greasy Creek, Blackwater Cr, you already know Hurricane, Toby Tubby, Clear Creek are all good areas. I like to fish areas with standing timber for jigging, just a personal preference, everything East of Holiday Lodge has the timber and there are pockets of it in sections to the West as well. With the lake up close to summer pool, you will have no problem finding shallow cover in the backs of any of the creeks right now.

Trolling has been working better since the last big rain and cold front but they will load up shallow again as it warms the next few days, being on a full moon cycle doesn't hurt right now either.

Best advice I can give you on Sardis is watch the water levels, if it's falling, even a little, they will tend to pull back some. If you were catching them shallow and the water is falling, they will pull back out and usually get right on the bottom on some hard cover (like standing timber:)) or a creek ledge, same thing happens a lot on cold fronts. Also, if you're catching a lot of males shallow, the females are probably out a few feet deeper.

Good luck, hope some of that helps. Welcome to the forum too.

#3231321 - 04/25/13 09:47 AM Re: Sardis Lake Crappie Fishing [Re: MFBAB]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

Right now you need to be in the Blackwater creek, Piney Point and Buzzard's Roost areas. The reports I'm getting is they are catching them in 1.5 to 2 foot of water...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (diamond hunter, scn, mburt, Jacoprint, Eric Kilby, Tn_Va_Hunter, 13 invisible) and 132 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90809 Topics
1060498 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.239 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.