Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3230110 - 04/24/13 08:04 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
That was the only year that I remember not having a good acorn crop on my hunting spots.

That's amazing woodsman87. Acorn production is far more spotty on my property. In fact, over the last 26 years, I have rated acorn production as "extremely poor" in 30% of years (3 out of every 10 years). "Moderate" or better acorn production only makes up 62% of years.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3230259 - 04/24/13 10:09 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
I have a small hunting spot in Hardeman County like that - the acorn production is generally very resilient. I've always hypothesized that it was due to a variety of oak species at different age structures and different soil conditions that helped separate batches of trees to "step up" to the task of acorn production when others fell off.

In other words, some particular trees might not perform, but the 80-acre property in general virtually always had good acorn production on it somewhere. It just made picking a great spot in the hardwoods a new task every year.

Temperatures have been milder here around Memphis, so I don't anticipate any issues with crop/bloom damage based on what I've seen so far.

#3230262 - 04/24/13 10:13 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Originally Posted By: BSK
That was the only year that I remember not having a good acorn crop on my hunting spots.

That's amazing woodsman87. Acorn production is far more spotty on my property. In fact, over the last 26 years, I have rated acorn production as "extremely poor" in 30% of years (3 out of every 10 years). "Moderate" or better acorn production only makes up 62% of years.

BSK, during those 26 years, how many have you rated good, very good, or excellent?

#3230429 - 04/24/13 01:13 PM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I don't take notes of it at all like you do, so I know it has to vary some every year. I have noticed that some times these trees over here don't have acorns, while a ridge over does have acorns. These past two falls, 2012 and 2011 both had lots of acorns on all trees. Seemed like before that it was random and spotty. It probably varies more than I think.

But that fall of 2007 was the only year that I remember having zero acorns in my place in Giles, Lincoln, and North Alabama spots.

#3230524 - 04/24/13 03:23 PM Re: These latest frost's [Re: farmin68]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: farmin68

BSK, during those 26 years, how many have you rated good, very good, or excellent?

farmin68,

I use a numeric scale from 0 to 10 for rating each fall season's acorn crop. This numeric scale is not necessarily "percent of trees producing," or an exact measure of the number of acorns produced per tree, but more a system of evaluating how many acorns are available across an entire property. A rating of zero means virtually no acorns are present. A rating of 10 means the maximum number of acorns possible were produced. (an overabundance of acorns everywhere on the property).

Here are the "Acorn Index" ratings for my property over the last 26 years. Interestingly, the same rating system used on other properties, even in the same county, do not match. Acorn production--even across very short geographic distances--can be highly variable:

I would break these numbers down by the categories of:

0-2: very poor (8 of 26 years)
3-4: poor (2 of 26 years)
5: moderate (2 of 26 years)
6-7: good (5 of 26 years)
8-10 very good (8 of 26 years)

That would mean 10 of 26 years (38%) have experienced poor to very poor acorn production, while 13 of 26 years (50%) have experienced good to very good acorn production.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3230693 - 04/24/13 06:07 PM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Another frost advisory for us tonight.

#3231211 - 04/25/13 08:15 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: smstone22]
BSK
Non-Typical

Personally, I'm worried about something I'm seeing in the long-range forecasts for next Thursday and Friday. Could be very bad (freeze for much of the Southeast). I hope the computer forecast models are exaggerating the low temps.

#3231226 - 04/25/13 08:22 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Personally, I'm worried about something I'm seeing in the long-range forecasts for next Thursday and Friday. Could be very bad (freeze for much of the Southeast). I hope the computer forecast models are exaggerating the low temps.

I hope they are wrong too. For the acorns sake and my garden, and pretty much everything else.

Would you rather have a poor acorn crop, a good acorn crop, or just an average acorn crop. I understand that deer are easier to kill with fewer acorns, but I am more concerned about the overall health of the deer heard and turkey population. I always want good acorn crops, even if it makes my hunting tougher.

I hear people complain every fall about "too many acorns, they aint hittin the food plots and are hard to pinpoint." I understand their thinking, but I consider myself not only a hunter, but a wildlife conservationist and I would rather my deer and turkeys have enough to eat and be harder to hunt than them not have anything to eat and suffer throught it.

#3231265 - 04/25/13 08:54 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: woodsman87]
BSK
Non-Typical

I prefer a moderate acorn crop--enough acorns for wildlife to feed on, but not acorns everywhere. I prefer good acorn production to be scattered in different areas, producing more predictable feeding locations that require some movement. Bumper acorn crops are great for the wildlife but terrible for hunting. Nothing worse than deer having plenty of food over every square foot of ground, especially in thick cover (they never need to come out during daylight).

Because of the way my personal property is oriented (primarily in a large block of hardwoods, but surrounded within a mile in all directions of big agriculture), bumper acorn crops produce the highest hunting season buck populations (the big acorn crops draw deer out of the bottomland ag fields), but the poorest hunting results (little daylight movement by bucks). Poor acorn crops produce the lowest buck populations (deer stay in the ag fields) but the highest sighting and harvest rates (deer have to move greater distances to find food).

#3231284 - 04/25/13 09:06 AM Re: These latest frost's [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

I prefer a moderate acorn crop--enough acorns for wildlife to feed on, but not acorns everywhere. I prefer good acorn production to be scattered in different areas, producing more predictable feeding locations that require some movement. Bumper acorn crops are great for the wildlife but terrible for hunting. Nothing worse than deer having plenty of food over every square foot of ground, especially in thick cover (they never need to come out during daylight).

Because of the way my personal property is oriented (primarily in a large block of hardwoods, but surrounded within a mile in all directions of big agriculture), bumper acorn crops produce the highest hunting season buck populations (the big acorn crops draw deer out of the bottomland ag fields), but the poorest hunting results (little daylight movement by bucks). Poor acorn crops produce the lowest buck populations (deer stay in the ag fields) but the highest sighting and harvest rates (deer have to move greater distances to find food).

Yes I prefer a moderate acorn crop too. I like for them to have acorns to eat because it is high in energy and good for them, but I also want to see them in my food plots and fields that I have planted for them. I like to be able to pinpoint what white/red oaks they are feeding under the most during the early fall so I can hunt them or the funnels on the way to them. This year for me was very tough, all trees had acorns and it was hard to kill a deer. I have honestly still seen (on last saturday) red oak acorns that appear to be eadible, not rotten or germinated. The white oaks have been long gone.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (camohunter3, Deer slayer85, BigPete357, cardia10, gtk, jamesmanley) and 68 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.