Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3228672 - 04/22/13 01:11 PM Killed my first turkey...now what?
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Loc: Nolensville, TN

Well, I got my first gobbler yesterday. Cut the breasts out and have them sitting in the fridge. What is the best way to fix them up?

"Don't Be Where They Are, Be Where They're Gonna Be"

>------>

#3228678 - 04/22/13 01:23 PM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Barrett]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Cut them into cutlet size pieces, cover with plastic wrap and pound them out paper thin with a meat tenderizer. Put a little bit of oil (less than a 1/4 inch in a pan) and pan fry them until done. Salt & pepper and then squeeze some lime juice over them.

I like to serve the above with collard greens and cornbread.

Also, next time, you might consider keeping more than the breast meat. There is quite a bit more meat on a turkey. Thighs and legs are the best cuts on the bird.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3228781 - 04/22/13 04:16 PM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Poser]
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
Cut them into cutlet size pieces, cover with plastic wrap and pound them out paper thin with a meat tenderizer. Put a little bit of oil (less than a 1/4 inch in a pan) and pan fry them until done. Salt & pepper and then squeeze some lime juice over them.

Also, next time, you might consider keeping more than the breast meat. There is quite a bit more meat on a turkey. Thighs and legs are the best cuts on the bird.

That's what I wondered but the guy I was with said that the legs and thighs are very tough since they walk so much and really just arent fit to eat. Now I know better! \:D

>------>

#3228788 - 04/22/13 04:31 PM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Barrett]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Barrett
 Originally Posted By: Poser

That's what I wondered but the guy I was with said that the legs and thighs are very tough since they walk so much and really just arent fit to eat. Now I know better! \:D

You can't really feasibly fry them or eat the legs off the bone like you would at the county fair, but, the taste of the meat itself is the best turkey you'll ever eat.

If you intend to smoke them, you'll need to pluck the bird.

#3228854 - 04/22/13 06:27 PM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Poser]
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Do you batter them? Or marinate them?

>------>

#3228876 - 04/22/13 06:52 PM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Barrett]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Barrett
Do you batter them? Or marinate them?

Nope.

#3229233 - 04/23/13 08:49 AM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: Poser]
treefarmer
4 Point

Loc: Humphreys County, TN

I'm not real experienced in turkey cooking but I have found gobblers can be very tough if not cooked correctly. The most fool proof recipe I have found is to use a crock pot with cream of chicken soup to cook the breast, thighs and drumsticks. Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. Only add a little water so the soup can be used as gravy. Add a diced onion if you want the deluxe version. Use the leftovers to make turkey pot pie.
#3229286 - 04/23/13 09:49 AM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: treefarmer]
beechnut
12 Point

Loc: DRUMMONDS TN 38023

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
I'm not real experienced in turkey cooking but I have found gobblers can be very tough if not cooked correctly. The most fool proof recipe I have found is to use a crock pot with cream of chicken soup to cook the breast, thighs and drumsticks. Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. Only add a little water so the soup can be used as gravy. Add a diced onion if you want the deluxe version. Use the leftovers to make turkey pot pie.

You said cream of chicken......I bet poser just kicked over..... \:D \:D \:D

#3229297 - 04/23/13 09:59 AM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: beechnut]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I cannot stand the thighs or legs, but I also do not know how to cook them.
I smoked a turkey about a month ago, and I have killed and cooked many turkeys and never even tried the dark meat. I finally tried it and now know why I don't know anybody that eats it.

It was like rubber, taste and texture. My dogs didn't even eat it.

#3229307 - 04/23/13 10:12 AM Re: Killed my first turkey...now what? [Re: woodsman87]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
I cannot stand the thighs or legs, but I also do not know how to cook them.
I smoked a turkey about a month ago, and I have killed and cooked many turkeys and never even tried the dark meat. I finally tried it and now know why I don't know anybody that eats it.

It was like rubber, taste and texture. My dogs didn't even eat it.

I'm guessing that the main reason that the legs did not come out well in the smoker is because you skinned them. That being said, I prefer to braise the legs and thighs. One of my favorites is to braise them and then pan fry the shredded meat for carnitas.

I have also done a excellent Italian dish with them where you brown the legs, then braise them for 4-5 hours in onions, carrots, sage, fennel, red wine, tomatoes and stock and then serve over Polenta.

The main thing that you have to get over is expecting to treat the legs like domestic turkey legs. That is where the misconceptions come from. You have to treat them differently, however, the well developed muscles make for a deep, rich meat with a long grain texture. Its somewhat comparable to why I like venison shanks so much.

I guarantee you that, if you cook legs properly, you will be preaching the full bird gospel to "everyone you know."

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
105 registered (woodyard, chris1976, Forvols, Master Chief, Gray Ghost, Bucky, 11 invisible) and 152 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91528 Topics
1069991 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.