Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3229426 - 04/23/13 12:39 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: bbuck14]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: bbuck14
couldn't tell you the last time I've been hunting and haven't seen a deer.

I'd like to hunt where you're hunting. I, too hunt areas with high numbers of deer in West TN, but still, deer sightings are 50-60% of hunts.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3229479 - 04/23/13 02:15 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: Poser]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I mainly hunt Giles, which was #1, and secondly Lincoln, which was like #6.
I must be a terrible deer hunter, because I haven't killed a buck in 3 seasons and I hunt two of the most productive counties in the state.
Also, I see deer on probably 25% of my hunts, but it wasn't always like that. I used to kill 2 or 3 a year, and see deer all the time. I either killed them all or am very unlucky. I think it is the luck though.

#3229531 - 04/23/13 03:22 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: woodsman87]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

I hunt SE Fayette county. Seeing deer is not that importaint to me its getting deer within bow range that lights my fire. I think over the year my deer sightings are on the 45% to 50 % side but when it comes to deer within bow range it gets down around 15 to 20%. Not that I actually get a shot on all these deer but I count it as a good hunt the closer they get.I don't hunt food plots or fields so my viewing distance is not that far until the last part of the year. I can say I do get a little spoiled with the number of deer in these neck of the woods.

#3229590 - 04/23/13 04:41 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: WRbowhunter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

One word answer-groceries. Two crop fields and 11 trees is good deer habitat if the trees are close enough together.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3230168 - 04/24/13 08:43 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: bowriter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Contendershooter,

Deer harvest numbers/density are primarily controlled by three main factors. In order of importance, these factors are 1) deer density, 2) hunter density, and 3) visibility.

Starting with the last one first, visibility--how far hunters can see to shoot--is a far bigger player in harvest numbers than most hunters realize. The amount of ground hunters can cover from a stand varies far greater with small changes in visible distance than most realize. A hunter that is hunting a combination of open woods and open fields, that can see 100 yards on average, is actually covering over 16 times more area than a hunter hunting in thick brush with only 25 yards of visibility. In essence, a four-fold increase in visibility creates over 16 times more area covered. As visible distance doubles, area covered is squared. The result is hunters hunting in more open terrain will see and have the opportunity to kill a larger portion of the deer that exist.

Hunter density is also a critical factor in harvest numbers. Land-ownership patterns (the average size of individual properties) and the area's proximity to a large metro area are big players in hunter density. Areas within one driving hour of a major city, and areas with small land-ownership patterns (lots of small individual properies) tend to maximize hunter density, while areas more than an hour's drive from a major metro area and large land-holdings decrease hunter density. These farther away areas with large landholdings are often the areas with the most large leases and clubs with very tightly controlled hunter densities that decrease deer kill densities.

Obviously, deer population is the greatest contributor to harvest densities. You can't kill what isn't there, and many opportunities for harvest exist in high deer density area. And what controls deer density is what Bowriter posted above--groceries. Basically, the amount of "deer food" in the area, and agriculture is the best quality deer food. However, don't forget the role of cover in deer population. Deer must have some cover to hide in. Pure agricultural areas with no forest often have very low deer densities because there is no place for deer to hide from hunters. Probably the best "mix" of agriculture and forest (for high deer densities) is somewhere around 60% agriculture and 40% forest. The highest deer density areas of the U.S. have about this mix. Pure forest areas often have amazingly low deer densities. Oak forests can produce an overabundance of acorns in fall, but acorns are only a seasonal food. What are deer going to eat the rest of the year? In addition, acorn production each fall is not a given. Some years experience very poor acorn production.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3230565 - 04/24/13 04:12 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: contendershooter]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Originally Posted By: contendershooter
he hunted this parcel and another 33 days in a row, two different stands, never arrived or left from same trail. My 19 acres was probably 20 of the 33 days... he is retired and has that luxury!!! :-)

You may be over hunting you particular property, it only takes hunting you property one time with the wrong wind or bumping deer to mess it up for awhile..

This is only my direct observation and may not hold true for everybody.
My parents own 36 acres which is as you described, all timber with a big stand of cedars but has plenty of white oaks scattered but all very mature timber. They have owned it since 1997 and over the years I've noticed my deer sightings as far as numbers have steadily gone down. I keep track of my deer sightings every year, and I also noticed that on years that I was not on another lease and primarily only hunted this one piece of property I saw even less deer. I joined another lease this past season to give myself some options and I started hunting my property with only the right wind and changed stand locations so that I could access my property without bumping as many deer. I did see more deer this year than last year now wether my actions contributed to that I don't know. I also took a drastic measure and had 8 acres clear cut and a 4 acre ridge select cut. Hoping to improve my deer habitat with some cover as I feel I had none to hold deer.

Edited by lpo1981 (04/24/13 04:14 PM)

#3230656 - 04/24/13 05:28 PM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: lpo1981]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I primarily hunt two parcels of land, each is just about 100-acres with maybe 25-acres of open woods/thicket. The rest is field or pasture. I do not hunt it hard, probably 2-3 days a week and take no special care with entering or leaving stands. I also drive quite close to my stands.

I can only think of two days last year I did not see deer. From the two properties, I killed nine deer using all equipment types. I beieve it was four with bow, four with rifle and one with mzl. Now that I thiink about it, I might have killed 10. Not sure.

What I have is ideal habitat in a blend of food source and cover combined with above average deer density and no hunter density except me. My herd numbers usually increase each year by a small number. Cars and trucks help keep it in check accounting for 4-5 killed each year.

Now, here is the point I was going to make. On one property, I have great visibility. On the other, I am hunting a dense thicket. I see and kill more deer in the thicket and have for several years.

The reason being, stand placement. And with that, I will let you all debate it. \:\)

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3231146 - 04/25/13 07:25 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: contendershooter]
landman
8 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

content Online
I may be wrong, but I don't think FT C deer are counted in Montgomery Counties numbers, FT C is actually in 2 states, and I think 2 county's per state.

But if you look at the numbers when they come out it runs high in number of points per buck, and I wouldn't say deer by the Post is the best. Big bucks are killed all over the county

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3231273 - 04/25/13 08:59 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: landman]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

I've spent an inordinate amount of timing statistically assessing the factors that produce the most and least older buck sightings by hunters. And although every property and hunting set-up is a unique situation, when looking at hunter success in seeing older bucks--from strictly a statistical perspective--the #1 factor is hunting pressure from that hunting set-up. The number of times a particular stand has been hunted in a given year is statistically the most accurate predictor of success in seeing older bucks, and the two are inversely related: the more times the stand has been hunted, the lower the odds of seeing an older buck.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3231291 - 04/25/13 09:14 AM Re: Deer Harvest Numbers - Why The Pattern? [Re: BSK]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
I've spent an inordinate amount of timing statistically assessing the factors that produce the most and least older buck sightings by hunters. And although every property and hunting set-up is a unique situation, when looking at hunter success in seeing older bucks--from strictly a statistical perspective--the #1 factor is hunting pressure from that hunting set-up. The number of times a particular stand has been hunted in a given year is statistically the most accurate predictor of success in seeing older bucks, and the two are inversely related: the more times the stand has been hunted, the lower the odds of seeing an older buck.

I have a big block of land to hunt, but its about 60 miles away so I do not go much. It gets plenty of pressure from a few other hunters by the way. But I live on my own personal property, and I get to hunt it regularly. 200acres +- a few. If I have the time and enough gas money I can go to my far spot. But most the time I am stuck to my home spot. So it is I either go hunting and risk scaring them, or just not go at all. I have always had that problem of hunting too much. I hunt whenever I can since I do not get to go much, so it don't matter what the wind or anything is, I try to hunt it accordingly but sometimes you can't.

Do yall suggest I not go as much on my small home spot, or hunt it hard while I can? I would hate to not go if I had the oppurtunity to go.

Page 3 of 6 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
81 registered (THEdonkey0515, Mudbone, Bigmonts, bigasports, 4fshn, medic, 10 invisible) and 98 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93203 Topics
1089459 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.12 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.