Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3227692 - 04/21/13 07:46 AM Alabama Rig !!!!!!
Tn Bowhunter
Spike

Loc: Kingsport Tn

Is this thing real or just a passing fad? I have tried it several times with no success but I am still learning about this new set-up. I see and hear alot of fisherman talking and using this thing but really dont hear them saying they are real happy with the results! Kinda reminds me of that 90s lure that was all over the Tv and the fishing shows I think it was called the Flying Lure System or something like that where the lure would swim away from ya and right into the fishes mouth! Yeah Right!!!!Well I'm a Jig and Pig guy and like to fish slow and with several years of fishing the lakes here in East Tn. I have learned that when the temp heats up in the summer and the water gets warm and the sun goes down the best results is slow fishing with jigs and worm. But I am wondering what ya'll think about this new rig?
#3227701 - 04/21/13 08:04 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tn Bowhunter]
wobblegobble
6 Point

Loc: tn

I've caught one fish off the rig in guntersville. I see hundreds of guys throwing it but I've haven't seen nanny hooked up. I have friends that claim they kill em on it but I haven't had much luck with it.

#3227713 - 04/21/13 08:25 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: wobblegobble]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

I plan to find out,I have a 3 hook deal that I was told legal for here, its like any other artifical lure finding the best way to run it & then using it with confidence,its just another tool & tools cost $ lol

#3228037 - 04/21/13 05:59 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: mike243]
Spoonbillmallard
8 Point

Loc: TN

I have had fair success with it. I haven't thrown it that much but we did catch 5 or so a couple weeks ago in our tournament on Old Hickory. Still haven't gotten down yet. But it will still be in the boat for the upcoming tournaments.

#3228088 - 04/21/13 07:19 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Spoonbillmallard]
Craddock1
Spike

Loc: Tennessee , Morgan County

My son recently caught 65 pounds of Bass on an al. rig on Chickamauga 3 day tournament. Most were using them. He came in 13# out of the money.
#3228241 - 04/21/13 10:19 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Craddock1]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I will never use one, at least I can't foresee any good reason to try, but that's just me. I'd rather throw a good ol zoom lizard

...since last deer season

#3228405 - 04/22/13 08:20 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: catman529]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

I'm speaking from a tournament fisherman's perspective, so keep that in mind. If I only "fun fished", I wouldn't throw it near as much. If you fish the TVA River system, from the Fall to the Spawn, you better throw it or you will get beat. I was stubborn when they first came out, but I got tired of donating money so I learned to throw it. On Guntersville, you can't win without it. Yes, you can catch em without it, and yes, you might stumble upon a big bag from time to time, but if you look at the guys that are consistently winning, they throw the rig.

The reason people see everybody throwing it and not catching anything is because it's not a bait your gonna get alot of bites on. But the ones that bite are the ones that it takes to win a tournament.

It's like any other lure, there is a time and a place for it. But one thing I have learned, if the time and place are right, and you are not throwing it, your not going to beat the guys that are. Also, this lure is not as stupid proof as what people make it out to be. Just like a crankbait, spinnerbait, or a stick of dynamite, there are little tricks that help to get you more bites than those that just chunk and wind.....

#3228419 - 04/22/13 08:32 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tennessee Todd]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Tennessee Todd
I'm speaking from a tournament fisherman's perspective, so keep that in mind. If I only "fun fished", I wouldn't throw it near as much. If you fish the TVA River system, from the Fall to the Spawn, you better throw it or you will get beat. I was stubborn when they first came out, but I got tired of donating money so I learned to throw it. On Guntersville, you can't win without it. Yes, you can catch em without it, and yes, you might stumble upon a big bag from time to time, but if you look at the guys that are consistently winning, they throw the rig.

The reason people see everybody throwing it and not catching anything is because it's not a bait your gonna get alot of bites on. But the ones that bite are the ones that it takes to win a tournament.

It's like any other lure, there is a time and a place for it. But one thing I have learned, if the time and place are right, and you are not throwing it, your not going to beat the guys that are. Also, this lure is not as stupid proof as what people make it out to be. Just like a crankbait, spinnerbait, or a stick of dynamite, there are little tricks that help to get you more bites than those that just chunk and wind.....

Well said and I agree! I too dont really like the A-rig but learned quickly to either throw it or get beat for the several months a year when it shines! As TT said, its not as easy as buying one and rigging just any baits and hooks and catching fish. There are many tricks, different style rigs, and bait selections that make your success go WAY up in different conditions!

#3228434 - 04/22/13 08:44 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Winchester]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

[quote=Winchester As TT said, its not as easy as buying one and rigging just any baits and hooks and catching fish. There are many tricks, different style rigs, and bait selections that make your success go WAY up in different conditions![/quote]

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is not a miracle bait, but it will get bites when other similar baits won't during the right time.

#3228585 - 04/22/13 11:26 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: TN Larry]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Has worked pretty good for me at times.

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (Mr.Squirrel, Mudbone, rabbit hunter, mossyoakmantn, Prowler, Britlab, 1 invisible) and 51 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93135 Topics
1088561 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.089 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.