Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3228589 - 04/22/13 11:29 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tennessee Todd]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

Originally Posted By: Tennessee Todd
I'm speaking from a tournament fisherman's perspective, so keep that in mind. If I only "fun fished", I wouldn't throw it near as much. If you fish the TVA River system, from the Fall to the Spawn, you better throw it or you will get beat. I was stubborn when they first came out, but I got tired of donating money so I learned to throw it. On Guntersville, you can't win without it. Yes, you can catch em without it, and yes, you might stumble upon a big bag from time to time, but if you look at the guys that are consistently winning, they throw the rig.

The reason people see everybody throwing it and not catching anything is because it's not a bait your gonna get alot of bites on. But the ones that bite are the ones that it takes to win a tournament.

It's like any other lure, there is a time and a place for it. But one thing I have learned, if the time and place are right, and you are not throwing it, your not going to beat the guys that are. Also, this lure is not as stupid proof as what people make it out to be. Just like a crankbait, spinnerbait, or a stick of dynamite, there are little tricks that help to get you more bites than those that just chunk and wind.....

There sort of like cross bows..........er never mind TT would never have used them if they were. \:D

#3228663 - 04/22/13 12:56 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: catman529]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: catman529
I will never use one, at least I can't foresee any good reason to try, but that's just me. I'd rather throw a good ol zoom lizard

That good ol Zoom lizard will get your teeth kicked in and your money taken at any tournament in the winter and early spring around here. \:D

Still an art to fishing it and you still have to find the fish it takes to win. Look at the PAA tourney on Douglas and the Southern Open a couple of weeks ago. Charlie Hartley was throwing it because everyone else was and he didn't weigh in much of anything.

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#3228677 - 04/22/13 01:22 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: mossyhorns300]
Tennessee Todd
Duffer
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

Originally Posted By: mossyhorns300
I will never use one, at least I can't foresee any good reason to try, but that's just me. I'd rather throw a good ol zoom lizard

That good ol Zoom lizard will get your teeth kicked in and your money taken at any tournament in the winter and early spring around here. \:D

Still an art to fishing it and you still have to find the fish it takes to win. Look at the PAA tourney on Douglas and the Southern Open a couple of weeks ago. Charlie Hartley was throwing it because everyone else was and he didn't weigh in much of anything.

Charlie wasn't on any fish, that was the problem. It doens't matter what you throw, if the fish aren't there, they won't bite. That's why you see the same people winning tournaments now that was winning tournaments before the rig. Those guys find the right quality of fish and the rig just helps them get them to bite. If the rig wasn't invented, those guys would still be winning.

And then there's people like me who are a non-profit organization when it comes to fishing.... \:D

#3228689 - 04/22/13 01:39 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tennessee Todd]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Charlie wasn't on any fish, that was the problem. It doens't matter what you throw, if the fish aren't there, they won't bite. That's why you see the same people winning tournaments now that was winning tournaments before the rig. Those guys find the right quality of fish and the rig just helps them get them to bite. If the rig wasn't invented, those guys would still be winning.

And then there's people like me who are a non-profit organization when it comes to fishing.... \:D

Im definitely in the non profit department when dealing with fishing, as it costs me way more than I make on it!!! \:\)

#3228694 - 04/22/13 01:44 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: catman529]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

I had rather do a lot of things than throw the a rig. It will absolutely wear you out if covering a bunch of water. However, as others have said above, on certain lakes and times of the year, you better be throwing it if you wanna win money. BUT, you also have to be on fish as stated above as well.

#3228983 - 04/22/13 09:12 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tennessee Todd]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

happy Online

Exactly right, Todd. That's what I was getting at. You still have to be on the right fish. He wrote an article after the tourneys were over stating that he was so caught up in the craze of throwing the rig and feeling like you had to do so to feel like you had a chance to win, that he forgot all about what it takes to win a tournament because he was so caught up in what everyone else was doing with the rig. I just used him as an example since he was a pro and didn't fare well by throwing it, but everybody thinks its an automatic 25 lb bag just because you're throwing it. Reminds me of the old timers in our club. They all think its a end all-be all magic bait that everyone goes out and catches 30 lbs on just because its tied on. Ask Charlie how that worked out! Lol. Chris Lane never picked it up and finished near the top 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#3229350 - 04/23/13 11:01 AM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: mossyhorns300]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Here is one pro's (Randy Blaukat) perspective on the a rig.

http://www.bassfan.com/opinion_article.asp?ID=196#.UXRRbxzdnnc

#3229394 - 04/23/13 12:10 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: TN Larry]
Tennessee Todd
Duffer
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

Not sure I agree with everything Randy said, but most of it I do. Personally, I'm good either way. If they ban it, I'm fine. If they don't I'm fine. If I had a gun to my head and had to choose, I would say ban it. (except for the fact that I have $25,000 worth of the @#!$ things. :D)

The main thing I disagree with is the point that anyone can throw it across a secondary point and catch a big bass. That's just not my experience. Yes, it can happen, but as I've already said, you still have to be around the quality of fish that will win you tournaments when your throwing it.

Plus, this is only my opinion, but from experience, I can already tell that fish are becoming conditioned to the lure in areas where it's thrown day and night. That's what has made me tinker with different methods of throwing it and that has been fun. It will be fun to see how well the Elites fair next year on Guntersville's Bassmaster's Classic WITHOUT the A rig.

I'm also a little suprised that there hasn't been more controversy over the new electronics than the new lures such as the A rig. Wow, the detail of what the new electronics show is unreal. It's just suprising you don't hear much about that.

#3229405 - 04/23/13 12:26 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: Tennessee Todd]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I'm also a little suprised that there hasn't been more controversy over the new electronics than the new lures such as the A rig. Wow, the detail of what the new electronics show is unreal. It's just suprising you don't hear much about that.

I have heard a couple discussions about this.
From what I gather some of the new side view electronics pretty much show you exactly what is there.
Of course that comes with a price tag too.

#3229477 - 04/23/13 02:11 PM Re: Alabama Rig !!!!!! [Re: RUGER]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

The new electronics are so much better than what we had 10 years ago. If you can read the electronics and learn how the picture on the screen relates to the boats current position, you can find fish. You have to spend time looking at it to understand what it is showing you.

I remember the old flashers and graphs. They are like comparing the old Pong video game to the modern video games.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13108 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (luvtohunt, infoman jr., dogman, tn_duckman, Gravey, griz01, 11 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13108 Members
42 Forums
88899 Topics
1039900 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.573 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.