Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 13 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3225184 - 04/18/13 07:38 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: WRbowhunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
Bowhunters are just better hunters. Therefore the great people at TWRA have granted bowhunters the longest deer season. Everyone else is just jealous and selfish by not wanting us to have the woods alone. But hey we are not elitist. Anyone can join our club. All you have to do is buy a bow and get a license. You don't even have to practice or have any skill. They have special bows for these type of folks that lay sideways and come with a scope and a trigger. Heck you can even use a rest. How great is that. For the rest don't hate.

EXACTLY, nothing elite about a group that welcomes any and all to join their ranks with welcome arms!! Just buy a bow or even a xbow and HUNT!!!

#3225203 - 04/18/13 08:06 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: catman529
Bsk is jealous because he can't shoot a bow worth a crap ;\) \:D

Certainly not jealous (I don't enjoy bow-hunting or hunting with any short-range weapon--it's not the weapon but the range of the weapon I don't enjoy), but absolute true that I can't shoot a bow worth crap, at least at live deer! \:\(

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3225729 - 04/18/13 05:10 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

No, no, we habe to let the humor go and get back to various forms of bashing. Where was I...oh yeah, if you think crossbows are easy, try running through a thicket with one on your back and the toilet paper back at the truck.

The pain intensifies and you know you are not going to make it. Oh Lord! If I just had a compound or even better, a cheap recurve, I could get through these cedars and not have to cut off another shirt sleeve.

Nothing easy about hunting with a crossbow. It aint for sissies. Join today-Start Hunting It Today-the association for slimmer, bows.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3225910 - 04/18/13 08:33 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

Certainly not jealous (I don't enjoy bow-hunting or hunting with any short-range weapon--it's not the weapon but the range of the weapon I don't enjoy), but absolute true that I can't shoot a bow worth crap, at least at live deer! \:\(
interesting, I prefer shooting em at closer range. The closer the deer are, the more adrenaline. Do you prefer sniping em across power lines cuts?

#3226445 - 04/19/13 10:16 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: catman529]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

well I have been using a crossbow for 2 years now. Before I used a compound for 10 yrs. I bought a crossbow for one reason, I hike an hour to an hour and a half sometimes and dont want to pack a stand. So, I ike the crossbow for ground hunting. That being said, hunting with it is a lot harder; its heavy, cumbersome, and loud. And my recurve crossbow is more primitive than the new compounds are. Plus, it makes it easier for guys like me who work long hours to bow hunt without spending a 1,000 hrs practicing. Just my .02
#3226491 - 04/19/13 11:37 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: morgancountry]
redheadshooter
6 Point

Loc: Here

content Online
 Originally Posted By: morgancountry
That being said, hunting with it is a lot harder; its heavy, cumbersome, and loud.

I am completely off the subject of bow vs crossbow. I don't care what people hunt with. But this has absolutely no truth to it. Sure, each method has its own difficulties; but you cannot tell me that a crossbow is harder to hunt with than a compound when at the end of your sentence you say you use it because you don't have time to practice.

#3226571 - 04/19/13 01:46 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: redheadshooter]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

Originally Posted By: redheadshooter
That being said, hunting with it is a lot harder; its heavy, cumbersome, and loud.

I am completely off the subject of bow vs crossbow. I don't care what people hunt with. But this has absolutely no truth to it. Sure, each method has its own difficulties; but you cannot tell me that a crossbow is harder to hunt with than a compound when at the end of your sentence you say you use it because you don't have time to practice.

During the actual act of hunting, getting into the woods,transporting, yes it is. The only thing harder with a compund is picking when to draw the bow. So you can't say there is absolutely no truth in my statement. I have hunted a lot with both. That is my opinion. If I had more time to practice, and pre placed stands, I would def use a compound because its lighter and easier to carry.

#3227132 - 04/20/13 07:55 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: redheadshooter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: redheadshooter

His statement is completely accurate. It is harder to hunt with as in more difficult in terms of usage. Having or not having to practice has nothing to with how hard it is to hunt with. Apples and oranges.

There are only two advantages to a crossbow. They require less practice-none for most. And once sighted in, can be mastered by almost anyone. That is it.

I have several decades invested in archery. I got my first bow in the late '60s. The last few have years have been with a crossbow. For a few years, I could pull a compound back enough to shoot once or twice, not enough to practice and stay sharp. Then, I could not pull one at all.

In my six or seven years of crossbow hunting, I came to hate them for their weight and cumbersome qualities. Also, you cannot bend around a tree and shoot one. Therefore, they cost you shots. I have to hang mine on a hook. I cannot hold it in my lap. Getting it down has cost me far more deer than pulling a vertical bow ever did.

They are no more accurate, have no greater range or kill any better than a compound.
You do not have to practice with them and they are quite easy to learn to shoot. That is it and anyone who says otherwise either has not hunted with one or is just lying. Big difference between hunting with one and shooting or seeing someone shoot one from a bench in a shop. I believe my longest shot to date is about 38-yards-far less than my longest with a compound.

I am not compensated by any crossbow company and don't give a flying circus what laws may or may not be passed. The above is just the plain, unvarnished facts of the matter from someone who has shot and hunted with everything from longbows to the most sophisticated crossbows.

#3227169 - 04/20/13 09:20 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BSK

interesting, I prefer shooting em at closer range. The closer the deer are, the more adrenaline. Do you prefer sniping em across power lines cuts?

I PREFER very close range shots (most of my kills occur at ranges inside 35 yards). But I've made enough kills at 60 yards that I don't want to be limited to only close range shots by the weapon I'm carrying.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3227220 - 04/20/13 11:10 AM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Well heckster, BSK, didn't you know a crossbow is lethal out to 100 yards or more. Bubba tolt me he seent some guy shoot a dime at 80-yards down at the Snatch and Grab bow shop. Them guy what shoot em will kill the hole heard.

Page 5 of 13 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (RAFI, HUNTTNKY, PinchPoint, lightsareout, BirdDog123, redheadshooter) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.