Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3224684 - 04/17/13 05:01 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: Gravey]
jlmustain
6 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Right on! Thanks, y'all!

Anyone have any good walking techniques they want to share?

#3224733 - 04/17/13 05:54 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: jlmustain]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

content Online
Its very hard to explain. I cover ground for lack of better words "light footed". Yes i make some noise but it nothing unnatural about it. I can cover ground fairly quickly and not alert things to my presence. My wife picked it up in a very short time but i have other people i know who will never get it. They walk through the woods just like they were wa;king down main street. That wont work! I walked up on several deer sunday morning within 40 yards that never knew i was there before i found the gobbler i killed.

#3224737 - 04/17/13 05:59 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: muddyboots]
jlmustain
6 Point

Sounds like it works! How do you do it?

#3224747 - 04/17/13 06:16 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: jlmustain]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

content Online
Man years in the woods. When i first started i would try to walk and sound like wildlife. Concentrate on setting feet down softly. Move branches out of the way so they dont crack or make that noise when they rub across fabric. Pick your route. I look for things to step on to be quiet. If i am still hunting i move in intervals. 15 yards and watch. 10 yards and watch. Depends on terrain. If a bird is gobbling i go straight to where i think i need to be and sit down or alot of times i kneel down behind a tree. I dont fool around with a gobbling bird. I go to where i want to be. They expect to hear a hen and lots of time they will gobble at me walking. Most of the time that is a dead bird. You can get away with more things moving than most people think. Occasionally you may bump a bird but it will kill more birds than it scares off. i personally do better when im super aggressive. Hope this helps. JMO

#3224750 - 04/17/13 06:27 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: muddyboots]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Its very hard to explain. I cover ground for lack of better words "light footed". Yes i make some noise but it nothing unnatural about it. I can cover ground fairly quickly and not alert things to my presence. My wife picked it up in a very short time but i have other people i know who will never get it. They walk through the woods just like they were wa;king down main street. That wont work! I walked up on several deer sunday morning within 40 yards that never knew i was there before i found the gobbler i killed.

I know what you mean. I have always been able to walk with a purpose yet leaving a light foot print. It is definitely a skill you just get over time

John 3:16

#3224821 - 04/17/13 07:49 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: ]
Trevor2
8 Point

Loc: sunbright,tn

Originally Posted By: curdogtn
I've "struck" more turkeys with the sound of me walking in dry leaves than I can count.

This! This! And this!

#3224937 - 04/17/13 09:12 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: Trevor2]
jlmustain
6 Point

As far as breaking twigs, I don't. I carry that from still hunting deer (and a hefty amount of survival training from my former special forces dad, ha!). I still don't know what to do about how crunchy it can get when I'm rushing for a setup when I hear a gobbler. This afternoon I had several going nuts on me. I ended up having to leave because of time (had to get home), but I don't know whether I was too noisy or not. It was really thick, and in my rush to get where I needed to be, it was hard not be a little noisy. Oh, well. At least I know where I'll be going in the morning.

#3224955 - 04/17/13 09:18 PM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: REN]
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: REN
 Originally Posted By: muddyboots

I know what you mean. I have always been able to walk with a purpose yet leaving a light foot print. It is definitely a skill you just get over time

Agree with both! This is how I travel both turkey hunting and squirrel hunting.

#3225169 - 04/18/13 07:29 AM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: TN Larry]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

I move as quiet as possible, but where I can't be quiet I try to sound like a turkey...scratching, purring...whatever it takes.

#3225194 - 04/18/13 07:51 AM Re: Question About Moving Through the Woods [Re: Relentless]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Walk stop look listen ,pick your next spot ,walk stop look listen. I was taught from at a young age to take 3 or 4 maybe a 1/2 doz steps at the most.Stop look around ,then listen and pick the next spot to walk to and the quietest path to it.Always try to stop by a tree or a bush something to break up your outline. Men are the only critters in the woods that walk with a steady rhythm. crunch crunch crunch. All other critters may make some noise but they are always stopping to look and listen. There is no steady rhythm. It is easier than it sounds.With a little practice it becomes 2nd nature.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
104 registered (JayMc, rabbit hunter, MUP, JACO0334, fullstream, SES, 8 invisible) and 115 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90948 Topics
1062767 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.099 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.