Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3224429 - 04/17/13 01:09 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: Winchester]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Winchester
 Originally Posted By: woodsman87
 Originally Posted By: redheadshooter
I have no problems with crossbows or crossbow hunters. I don't like the fact that people get a crossbow so they don't have to practice throughout the year. So its not the crossbow, it's the laziness that I don't care for. Not saying those who shoot crossbows are lazy, but if you chose a crossbow strictly because you don't want to have to practice every now and then, maybe you should reconsider bowhunting in my opinion.

I agree with this.

Crossbows aren't for me, but do not care who or who don't use one. I will not use one unless I become physically unable to hunt with regular bows.
I am not sure about this, but for along time in Alabama you had to have handicap documentation to use crossbows during regular bow season. It may not be that way anymore, not sure.

I agree, doesnt really bother me if people choose the xbow route, but in reality I was fine with them being limited to those forced to use them for physical reasons!
Selfish is WAY off base, different seasons are and have always been, for those who choose to buy the equipment, learn how to use it, and enjoy another season. Take MZ season for instance, I currently shoot a smokeless mz because its legal and the most effective weapon allowed during that season. I wouldnt have any problem however if TN went to a PRIMITIVE only weapon allowed during MZ season. I would simply get the equipment allowed and learn how to use it. I sure wouldnt call people selfish just because they were willing to learn something new and use it to their advantage!EVERYTHING in life is NOT all about making things easy for everybody who wants to participate! Nothing wrong with hard work and trying to achieve goals that everyone isnt interested in trying to achieve. This subject reminds me of the Dumbing down of America, why would we purposely remove Bow hunting and all that comes with it because gun hunting is EASIER and EVERYBODY can do it??? Just my opinion anyway!

#3224452 - 04/17/13 01:28 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: Winchester]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Bow season should be for longbows and recurves only. It should be from Sept.1-10. Then archery season should open and run until it closes and any type of equipment that involves a string or cable and an arrow-like device should be legal.

However, only persons over 65 should be allowed to hunt. Everyone else should be forced to come on here and bitch about it.

Do y'll not realize the crappie are tearing it up? I have fish to clean and that is better than whacking this poor, expired equine. Whyinell should anyone care what I shoot deer with. I don't care what anyone else uses.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3224514 - 04/17/13 02:33 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: cecil30-30]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
 Originally Posted By: Relentless
IMO, there is a place for crossbows in bow season. It should go back to the way it was. Limit the use of crossbows to those who physically have trouble with a vertical bow during bow season. Those with a physical handicap that prevents them from shooting a vertical bow can still bow hunt.

Use it at will in muzzle loader and gun season.

My thoughts are based on the challenges of hunting with each weapon. For example, if you hunt with a crossbow during muzzle loader season, you've chosen a more challenging weapon.

The challenge of bow hunting, again IMO, is getting into position to draw the bow and make a shot without getting busted at close range. The crossbow takes away a lot of that movement, making it easier.

I am also against Mississippi rules on "primitive weapon" by the way.
It thats the case,then why don't you use a long or recurve bow during archery season? I mean a compound bow is leaps and bounds ahead of a recure or long bow.

EXACTLY!!!

There is no real legitimate argument anyone can make about crossbows that can't be made about any weapon you use. These type of threads are just a waste of time...

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3224570 - 04/17/13 03:38 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: catman529
Why is the guy so selfish as to not want to share the woods with crossbow hunters?

I've been asking the same thing about any special weapon season and have not read a solid answer yet, besides selfishness that is...

I bet TWRA would answer tradition as an answer to "special seasons".

That would require that actual "tradition" be involved in these special seasons. In my opinion, "tradition" means generations of hunters having lived with, participated in, and treasured these special seasons. Yet "special weapon seasons," and especially their impact on deer hunting, are fairly recent inclusions in deer hunting. Most were created in my lifetime, and their real impact (actual hunter participation in large numbers) did not begin until the commercial availability of the compound bow (late 70s and early 80s) and the inline muzzleloader (90s). In essence, there is no lengthy "tradition" involving these seasons.

Quote:
Im thinking you are for an all weapons season.Dont you think that would lead to more hunters in the woods,for a longer time,and to a drastic decrease in daylight buck movement?

I don't believe the amount of "daylight buck movement" should play any role in determining season dates and lengths. Season dates/lengths should be based on providing the maximum hunting opportunities to the maximum number of hunters that do no significant harm to the resource (deer population and structure).
You could be right on the tradition thing,but I was given that answer once on here by a TWRA official when I asked about the need for a MZL season.

I think the reasons for "special seasons" is lobbyist.Bow and MZL manufactureres would sell FAR fewer bows and MZLs without special seasons.

I guess we will just have to disagree,which is fine,but I do think if you opened the season as we do now,and made it all weapons,you surely would see less daylight buck movement,which eventually would leaed to less hunter satisfaction.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3224632 - 04/17/13 04:23 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: pass-thru]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
 Originally Posted By: catman529
Why is the guy so selfish as to not want to share the woods with crossbow hunters?

I've been asking the same thing about any special weapon season and have not read a solid answer yet, besides selfishness that is...

Bow hunters are much less impact than gun hunters.

By this reasoning (those who have the least "impact" get to hunt first), then the timing of when a person gets to start hunting each year should be based on their harvest success in previous years. The more years they've gone without killing a deer/buck, the earlier they get to open deer season. The more deer/bucks a person killed in the recent past, the later they get to open season.

Those who killed 3 bucks last year get to start hunting January 1st, and season closes January 2nd. ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3224660 - 04/17/13 04:50 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Bowhunters are just better hunters. Therefore the great people at TWRA have granted bowhunters the longest deer season. Everyone else is just jealous and selfish by not wanting us to have the woods alone. But hey we are not elitist. Anyone can join our club. All you have to do is buy a bow and get a license. You don't even have to practice or have any skill. They have special bows for these type of folks that lay sideways and come with a scope and a trigger. Heck you can even use a rest. How great is that. For the rest don't hate.

#3224672 - 04/17/13 04:55 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: WRbowhunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: WRbowhunter
Bowhunters are just better hunters. Therefore the great people at TWRA have granted bowhunters the longest deer season. Everyone else is just jealous and selfish by not wanting us to have the woods alone.

HA!!! \:D

Quote:
But hey we are not elitist.

Riiiiight...

Actually, bow hunters are such lousy hunters they need to get first crack at the deer to ever be successful! ;\)

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3224702 - 04/17/13 05:19 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
Bsk is jealous because he can't shoot a bow worth a crap ;\) \:D

#3224762 - 04/17/13 06:47 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: WRbowhunter]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Bowhunters are just better hunters. Therefore the great people at TWRA have granted bowhunters the longest deer season. Everyone else is just jealous and selfish by not wanting us to have the woods alone. But hey we are not elitist. Anyone can join our club. All you have to do is buy a bow and get a license. You don't even have to practice or have any skill. They have special bows for these type of folks that lay sideways and come with a scope and a trigger. Heck you can even use a rest. How great is that. For the rest don't hate.
I shoot a bow and that makes me special

#3224797 - 04/17/13 07:27 PM Re: Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more.... [Re: WRbowhunter]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Ahahahaha

Page 4 of 13 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (Outdoor Enthusiast, HuntFish714, Tennessee Lead, TN Bolton, JAD, Tims, 7 invisible) and 208 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99011 Topics
1163886 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 1.186 seconds in which 0.019 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.