Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3224207 - 04/17/13 08:43 AM Another Decent Evening
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

content Online
Had a decent evening yesterday. We didn't get down there until a little after 5. Caught a couple of decent sm and some KYs. I lost another bigger sm at the boat while trying to let little man wind it in. He wants to wind them all in, and then tell everybody that he caught them all. \:\) Good times.......

I love having a son that is so hooked on the outdoors. He was after catfish last night instead of bass though. I bet that he said 25 times that he was going to catch a catfish. I told him that what we were throwing and how we were doing it would probably not catch a catfish. He then asked what to catch catfish on. I said well some sort of live bait like a bluegill, nightcrawlers, or a minnow. He said well, this swim bait looks just like a minnow so they will think that it is a minnow, and I am going to catch one. \:\) Pretty good logic for a 5 year old.

We then heard a loon let out whatever kind of sound that they do. He said, Daddy what is that, that sounds just like an elk. Are there elk in America? I said well that is not an elk, but it sounds pretty darn close, never thought of it that way. He is a pretty slick little dude that pays super attention to detail and hard to slip anything by him.

#3224263 - 04/17/13 10:02 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: TN Larry]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

Awesome

#3224353 - 04/17/13 11:35 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: easy45]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

Congrats

#3224478 - 04/17/13 01:58 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: SilverFox]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

awesome times!
#3224557 - 04/17/13 03:24 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: mathews338]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

nice ones

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3225054 - 04/18/13 12:12 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Football Hunter]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Awesome!

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3225274 - 04/18/13 09:19 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Outdoor life]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Awesome
#3225296 - 04/18/13 09:46 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Winchester]
Tenn.Guy
8 Point

Loc: Tenn

One of my top 2 favorite nephews right there! The dad doesnt lie. This kid is scary smart, usually gets him in trouble though \:\)
#3225376 - 04/18/13 10:52 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Tenn.Guy]
TN Larry
10 Point

content Online
Here is a comment on smalljaw from the same exact post on there that really hits home that I thought I would share.

"wow...dude that is awesome! That little guy is watching you and he wants to be like you and from this story I thnks he's got a good example to follow. If more dads would spend time with the little guys, this world would be a bette place. Keep up the good work.
"

After reading the replies and re-reading my post again, it brings some type of watery substance to my eyes. It must be the pollen and my allergies. \:\)

I try very hard to set an example for him and get him hooked on the outdoors. I try to also make it fun for him. I have saw it on here as some of you guys have done with your kid(s). Winchester and his boys along with Ruger and Man come to mind.

I am not sure why I have got so emotional this morning, but I really wish that parents would spend more time with their kids instead of thinking about themselves all the time. I know some other guys that strictly tournament fish, period and never take their kids fishing or when they do it is all about fishing serious with artificial, etc. Before a kid is hooked, he or she will lose interest rather quickly. When first taking him, I made sure that we were going to catch them and catch them easily whether fishing for something other than bass or using live bait. I fish a lot of tournaments myself, but I still try my best to include him as much as I can. Since it has turned warm, he hasn't missed a weekend without a trip yet.

Thanks for listening to my rambling and sorry for the long post. This topic kinda struck me from a different angle this morning.

#3225383 - 04/18/13 11:05 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: TN Larry]
Winchester
Non-Typical

You da man TN Larry. I agree with you 100% and simply cant understand those who wont or dont take their kids into the outdoors and enjoy it with them. I dont kill nearly as many big deer as i once did, and win way less money fishing than I once did, but Im having the best time of my life doing both with my boys and even my Dad!! Congrats again!!!
#3225392 - 04/18/13 11:12 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Winchester]
TN Larry
10 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Winchester
You da man TN Larry. I agree with you 100% and simply cant understand those who wont or dont take their kids into the outdoors and enjoy it with them. I dont kill nearly as many big deer as i once did, and win way less money fishing than I once did, but Im having the best time of my life doing both with my boys and even my Dad!! Congrats again!!!

Amen brother and Thanks for setting a good example on here, not as a father but as a DAD! I am missing a big fish off this year that happens on juvenile weekend unless I can get him to KY to kill a deer there prior. I still hate for him to miss the Saturday morning in TN so may give it up even if he kills in KY. He already knows that he will be 6 this year and is ready to go. I don't plan on letting him down.

#3225463 - 04/18/13 12:06 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: TN Larry]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Thanks Larry and you letting him down isnt even a concern for him I promise!
#3225466 - 04/18/13 12:08 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: TN Larry]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

This thread also reminds me of why I dislike organized sports so much. In my town, organized teams were really just getting started as I was about 7-10 years old. I remember playing ONE YEAR of coach-pitch baseball and hating every weekend. It was fine to play ball when I wanted, but I couldn't stand how when Saturday rolled around, my dad would say "we can't go fishing this morning, because you have to go play ball".

My wife is annoyed at me for not pushing him to sign up for something. We finally hit a happy medium and got him into karate, which is 90% weeknight routine.

Having those weekends to have adventures with the kids is what it's all about! My son is 5 and picking up on things pretty quick.

#3227502 - 04/20/13 09:03 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Winchester]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

nice fish
#3230520 - 04/24/13 03:20 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Thank you for the very kind words man.
I can promise you that pollen gets worse as they get older.

Nothing I would rather do in this world that be doing ANYTHING with my little man.

Had a pretty crappy day but now it is great again, thank you. \:D

#3230522 - 04/24/13 03:20 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: RUGER]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Oh and congrats on a GREAT day !!!! \:D

#3242109 - 05/08/13 11:16 AM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: TN Larry]
TN Larry
10 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TN Larry
He was after catfish last night instead of bass though. I bet that he said 25 times that he was going to catch a catfish. I told him that what we were throwing and how we were doing it would probably not catch a catfish. He then asked what to catch catfish on. I said well some sort of live bait like a bluegill, nightcrawlers, or a minnow. He said well, this swim bait looks just like a minnow so they will think that it is a minnow, and I am going to catch one. \:\) Pretty good logic for a 5 year old.

Well he finally got him a catfish. We went yesterday evening to bluegill fish the run in from the recent rains, and he caught (wound in) this catfish. We caught 20 or so bluegill and 6 big shellcracker as well plus a couple of small KYs (lost one big one). It was a pretty good evening for just a couple of hours fishing minus the part when he fell in the livewell while just "looking" at the fish inside. \:\)

#3243622 - 05/10/13 12:52 PM Re: Another Decent Evening [Re: Winchester]
MattR
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

Thats great way too many kids spend way too much time indoors or on the computer or watching TV now a days. I mean I am still young but I can definately see the difference. I guess it is just like my dad used to say oh you kids are different, when I was a kid this is what we did. Anyways my point is, kids are more interested in things like playing video games, getting on facebook, and games played inside. It doesnt seem like there are as many things that sell kids on getting outdoors as much as there used to be. That makes it even more important for us parents to show our what what we got to enjoy. I played video games when I was a kid, but looking back I never rememeber a time where I was more excited than fishing or hunting. I believe it is ones responsibility to get your kids outdoors and give them the oppurtunity to like fishing and hunting

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
LHanks24, Tkicm, Jingaling, colthutch, Pony Boy
13560 Registered Users
Who's Online
144 registered (TNTomtaker01, 2in1shot, mossyhorns300, ldsjimk, in the dog house!, Master Chief, 15 invisible) and 255 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13560 Members
43 Forums
99514 Topics
1170661 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.