Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3223905 - 04/16/13 08:37 PM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Inkstainz]
Mag
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville

Most people do not appreciate the fact that they have a job, it is expected. I am lucky to work for a privately owned company that is growing, the owners continue to invest in the company and do their best to take care of their employees. When times are hard they still give raises and bonuses. I make it a point to thank them every year because I know most people "expect" a raise annually.
#3224017 - 04/16/13 10:02 PM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Mag]
Pic IN the Casa
14 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Mag
Most people do not appreciate the fact that they have a job, it is expected. I am lucky to work for a privately owned company that is growing, the owners continue to invest in the company and do their best to take care of their employees. When times are hard they still give raises and bonuses. I make it a point to thank them every year because I know most people "expect" a raise annually.

BINGO!

First sentence is spot on and I have the luxury of working for a company you described- and it's a not for profit to boot.

#3224140 - 04/17/13 06:56 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
CBU93 Moderator
"sheetrock"
14 Point

Loc: Germantown, TN

If you know what you are doing as a manager, there is very little need to get to this point...several points in this thread are spot on too.

Hire the right people and reap reap the benefits. Hire the wrong people, and you can still get rid of them as long as you document, document, document...good HR and legal support in a corporate environment are critical. Smaller companies can still get it done...remember it is a marathon more so than a sprint. Yes, the instant gratification of firing someone on the spot can be good for you, but can also be devastating for the team...sometimes not though...

I've done both in my career working in Memphis..it's all a part of it.

#3224144 - 04/17/13 07:01 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: CBU93]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: CBU93
If you know what you are doing as a manager, there is very little need to get to this point...several points in this thread are spot on too.

Hire the right people and reap reap the benefits. Hire the wrong people, and you can still get rid of them as long as you document, document, document...good HR and legal support in a corporate environment are critical. Smaller companies can still get it done...remember it is a marathon more so than a sprint. Yes, the instant gratification of firing someone on the spot can be good for you, but can also be devastating for the team...sometimes not though...

I've done both in my career working in Memphis..it's all a part of it.

Yep - simple effective process that works

#3224152 - 04/17/13 07:12 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Kimber45]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Ahh, the Utopian theory. In a perfect world, my friend, in a perfect world. The vast majority of businesses don't have HR departments or attorneys on retainer. The real world for most business owners can't afford a marathon. The "if you know what you're doing as a manager" works best when when you're managing for someone else. Totally different animal when you're wearing every hat that needs wearing.
#3224153 - 04/17/13 07:14 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Hangnail]
CBU93 Moderator
"sheetrock"
14 Point

Loc: Germantown, TN

Like I said, it can be done...and that is not Utopia, that is the real world we live in.
#3224154 - 04/17/13 07:15 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Kimber45]
iowavf
10 Point

Loc: southwest iowa

Having a good paper trail will help. I've always remembered some good advice once told to me by of all people, one of those seminar training sessions my old work place use to send us to. The guy said,"If it's not in writing, then it never happened". You need dates and specific actions written down.
#3224156 - 04/17/13 07:18 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Kimber45]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Why do you think I was so happy to sell my business, retire and move from Memphis after living there 27 years??? I opened my first business there 39 years ago and I saw it get worse and worse over time. Young guys who never got to see how it really was 39 years ago think things in Memphis today are "normal" and that's the way it always was and part of the job.

There are still great people out there that are some of the best workers you will ever find and they reject "the card" and always work on their own two feet. The sad thing is for each of the great workers there are dozens more that were TAUGHT to use "the card" every time and all the time no mater what. Another sad thing is people have learned to accept as being part of the job, it's should never be that way. That's not the way King wanted it.

#3224158 - 04/17/13 07:26 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Wildcat]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Wasted words Wildcat. My experience in Memphis was over twenty years ago. I think the disconnect is more in the corporate world versus the small business world. Corporate management isn't the same as small business management. I'm not going to get any farther in this.
#3224163 - 04/17/13 07:39 AM Re: My employees have lost their mind [Re: Hangnail]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: Hangnail
Wasted words Wildcat. My experience in Memphis was over twenty years ago. I think the disconnect is more in the corporate world versus the small business world. Corporate management isn't the same as small business management. I'm not going to get any farther in this.

I know. I retired and left Memphis 12 years ago and it's been a great time since.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
28 registered (Nealmeally, fredfred, JDP, Vermin93, catman529, YEKRUT, 4 invisible) and 104 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85725 Topics
1035965 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.278 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.