Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3222887 - 04/15/13 07:40 PM HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible...
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

So, I'm doing a garden this year for the first time. I've helped my papaw in years past, but never done one on my own. I am attempting to go with only heirloom seeds. So, back in mid-February I started some tomato seeds (Red Brandywines, Marianna's Peace, and Livingston's Favorite). Two months later almost and this is what they look like. I guess they are roughly 3" tall, some have started to show their true leaves so last week I re-potted them into larger containers. I started them in Jiffy organic mix, and replanted them in Organic potting soil. Should they look yellow like this? I know these aren't the best pics in the world but what do you think??? What else do you need to know? I've kept them under flourescent lights inches away from the plant, and about a week ago I started putting them outside for a couple hours in the sunlight then I would bring them back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3222978 - 04/15/13 08:53 PM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: BlountArrow]
Mausermeister
4 Point

Loc: Forked Deer River Bottom

Looks like too much water. Do the cups have drain holes?

#3223152 - 04/16/13 06:49 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: Mausermeister]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Mausermeister
Looks like too much water. Do the cups have drain holes?

Yeah, all the pots the plantes have ever been in had holes in them. I was worried about over watering. Maybe I did over water, but I tried not to water unless they looked wilted or if the potting mix was hard as a rock.

Any other thoughts anybody?

#3223185 - 04/16/13 07:40 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: BlountArrow]
Mausermeister
4 Point

Loc: Forked Deer River Bottom

Could partially be pH too low. Jiffy is mostly peat and from the pics it looks like your organic mix has a lot of ground up pine bark. Both are high acid. Maters need a pH between 6 and 7 to do well.

Also what kind of bulbs in your lights? I've never started plants uder flourescents, but I have been told some types of bulbs don't work well, especially the new "green" bulbs.

Most likely not just one thing, but a combination.

#3223197 - 04/16/13 07:57 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: Mausermeister]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Mausermeister
Could partially be pH too low. Jiffy is mostly peat and from the pics it looks like your organic mix has a lot of ground up pine bark. Both are high acid. Maters need a pH between 6 and 7 to do well.

Also what kind of bulbs in your lights? I've never started plants uder flourescents, but I have been told some types of bulbs don't work well, especially the new "green" bulbs.

Most likely not just one thing, but a combination.

You're right the Jiffy Mix was mostly peat in my opinion too, but when I re-potted them in another organic mix I did notice a lot of "mulch type" products. I'm not sure what types of flourescent lights - just standard lights, not green or anything special. I read online to start them under flourescents because that type of light better replicates the rays of the sun (supposedly). Do you think I need to just go stick them in the ground in the garden and see what happens? I'm worried they're on a downward spiral.

#3223320 - 04/16/13 09:54 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: BlountArrow]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

content Online
Make sure your lights are emitting enough of the blue and red wavelengths. A grow light will, If you are using regular flourescents, use the cool white kind. Both wavelengths are needed for good growth.

#3223331 - 04/16/13 10:07 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: Diehard Hunter]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Your seedlings will do better with new florescent bulbs.I would suggest using seed starting mix in the future. They may have been re-potted a little early.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3223339 - 04/16/13 10:15 AM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
BlountArrow
8 Point

I haven't been using a true grow light. But, at this point with warm weather would I just be better off to expose them to natural sunlight most of the day? I did use a seed starting mix for almost 2 months. I re-potted them thinking maybe they had just robbed all the nutrients from the seed starting mix. What's the smartest course of action here now?

Thanks guys!

#3223440 - 04/16/13 12:32 PM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: BlountArrow]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

content Online
You can place them outside for the light, but be sure to bring them in at night until they have been hardened off and there is no chance of frost.

#3223486 - 04/16/13 01:23 PM Re: HELP! Tomato Plants Look Terrible... [Re: Diehard Hunter]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
You can place them outside for the light, but be sure to bring them in at night until they have been hardened off and there is no chance of frost.

Thank you, sir. That is just what I will do. Hopefully they will turn around for me. They look pretty puny right now. I have a few with true leaves. Will the cotyledons eventually just wilt away and fall off (I'm assuming so)? I guess I just expected the true leaves to be better developed at this point almost 2 months later. If you or anyone thinks of anything else I'd love to hear it.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
41 registered (Diehard Hunter, Mudbone, bjohnson, monster11, whackmaster, stik, 3 invisible) and 102 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85369 Topics
1031552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.225 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.