Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3219784 - 04/11/13 06:57 PM Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!!
Deez
Spike

Loc: TN

Deer fellow hunters:

It has been brought to my attention that a portion of the Yanahli WMA located off of Iron Bridge Rd is up to be appropriated to be a county park. The county parks director is looking to develop the land into trails for horse back riders, canoers, etc and to build some type of pavilion to display historic artifacts. The amount of land equates to over 400 acres located along the Duck River across from the boat ramp on Iron Bridge Rd with a possible large amount of land added in the future along with talks of a potential state park. I have contacted my local NWTF chapter but have not heard back from them. I have already talked to some county commissioners about this and am unsure about their stance on this. The state TWRA office has already written a letter of support for this project to the county due to TVA's guidelines when they gave the land to TWRA to manage stating along the lines of "allowing some of it to be used for other recreational uses and wildlife watching"; therefore, TWRA pretty much has to support the project although all do not agree with it. This land will be CLOSED to hunting if approved.

Where we stand now: This has gone to the Health and Environment Committee and Budget Committee and has passed and is now sent to the full commission (Maury County). If the commission approves it at their next meeting it will allow the county to enter into negotiations with TWRA concerning insurance, lease agreements, etc. and will allow them to begin applying for grants to develop the property. I was told by the Maury County Mayor that this would have to go back in front of all the committees and commission for final approval once the agreements and insurance were worked out. I would like for it to not make it that far.

Hunter are continuously losing land to hunt on and I am not willing to just let this land go without my voice being heard. I am looking for support from members on here who not only hunt Yanahli, but are just overall concerned about our hunting rights. The meeting will be held in the Tom Primm Commission Room located @ 6 Public Square in Columbia, TN.

The county commissioner who proposed this is Linda Whiteside and her phone number is: 931-285-2250 and her email is: lindawhiteside@att.net

I would like all of you to call and let her know that the current hunting use of the land is adequate and that the reappropriation will not only deprive hunters, but will take money from the local economy. Yanahli draws hunters from all over the state, southeast, and farther which brings in a large revenue stream to this county. I hunt Yanahli myself and saw plates from Arkansas, Mississippi, New York, Florida, Alabama, and KY, and these were just the ones I saw. If we allow this portion of the land to be taken, where will it stop?

Catman529....I better get some support from you!!! : )

Attached are the articles in the Columbia Daily Herald:

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/news/local-news/official-vies-new-park.html

#3219849 - 04/11/13 07:49 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Deez]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I heard about this the other day! Already called thanks for the info!

#3219864 - 04/11/13 08:05 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: deerhunter10]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

When is the county commission meeting?

#3219865 - 04/11/13 08:06 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: deerhunter10]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Gonna do some contacting here soon, I don't want to see any par of yanahli destroyed by "recreational use"... Never hunted off iron bridge but don't want to see ANY part of the WMA go to waste. Thanks for sharing.

...since last deer season

#3220161 - 04/12/13 08:14 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: catman529]
spitndrum
Team TLBB Woodpile Boys
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

thats catmans domain

#3220265 - 04/12/13 09:44 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: spitndrum]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?

Edited by pressfit (04/12/13 09:44 AM)

#3220322 - 04/12/13 10:39 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: pressfit]
drrxnupe
6 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN & Oxford, MS

I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???
#3220329 - 04/12/13 10:50 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: drrxnupe]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: drrxnupe
I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???

Just comes with the territory on PP. Its basically urban hunting. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. Since that land is COE land, they don't even have to let us hunt it. Would you rather hunt and deal with suburbanites or not be able to hunt it? because those are the only possible 2 options. Even if it was state land/dedicated WMA that required a hunting license to be on during big game seasons, there is no way TWRA would have the man power to enforce that.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3220668 - 04/12/13 07:21 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

wma's must be hunted mon-friday.

#3220678 - 04/12/13 07:32 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: redblood]
bowtechgump
Spike

Loc: Maury Co.,Tennessee

Catman you hunt Yanahli?
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
130 registered (Rubberduck270, TnKen, southernhunter, RodBone75, stringtalker, mjac, 16 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93182 Topics
1089224 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.108 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.