Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#3219784 - 04/11/13 06:57 PM Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!!
Deez
Spike

Loc: TN

Deer fellow hunters:

It has been brought to my attention that a portion of the Yanahli WMA located off of Iron Bridge Rd is up to be appropriated to be a county park. The county parks director is looking to develop the land into trails for horse back riders, canoers, etc and to build some type of pavilion to display historic artifacts. The amount of land equates to over 400 acres located along the Duck River across from the boat ramp on Iron Bridge Rd with a possible large amount of land added in the future along with talks of a potential state park. I have contacted my local NWTF chapter but have not heard back from them. I have already talked to some county commissioners about this and am unsure about their stance on this. The state TWRA office has already written a letter of support for this project to the county due to TVA's guidelines when they gave the land to TWRA to manage stating along the lines of "allowing some of it to be used for other recreational uses and wildlife watching"; therefore, TWRA pretty much has to support the project although all do not agree with it. This land will be CLOSED to hunting if approved.

Where we stand now: This has gone to the Health and Environment Committee and Budget Committee and has passed and is now sent to the full commission (Maury County). If the commission approves it at their next meeting it will allow the county to enter into negotiations with TWRA concerning insurance, lease agreements, etc. and will allow them to begin applying for grants to develop the property. I was told by the Maury County Mayor that this would have to go back in front of all the committees and commission for final approval once the agreements and insurance were worked out. I would like for it to not make it that far.

Hunter are continuously losing land to hunt on and I am not willing to just let this land go without my voice being heard. I am looking for support from members on here who not only hunt Yanahli, but are just overall concerned about our hunting rights. The meeting will be held in the Tom Primm Commission Room located @ 6 Public Square in Columbia, TN.

The county commissioner who proposed this is Linda Whiteside and her phone number is: 931-285-2250 and her email is: lindawhiteside@att.net

I would like all of you to call and let her know that the current hunting use of the land is adequate and that the reappropriation will not only deprive hunters, but will take money from the local economy. Yanahli draws hunters from all over the state, southeast, and farther which brings in a large revenue stream to this county. I hunt Yanahli myself and saw plates from Arkansas, Mississippi, New York, Florida, Alabama, and KY, and these were just the ones I saw. If we allow this portion of the land to be taken, where will it stop?

Catman529....I better get some support from you!!! : )

Attached are the articles in the Columbia Daily Herald:

http://columbiadailyherald.com/sections/news/local-news/official-vies-new-park.html

#3219849 - 04/11/13 07:49 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Deez]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

I heard about this the other day! Already called thanks for the info!

#3219864 - 04/11/13 08:05 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: deerhunter10]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

When is the county commission meeting?

#3219865 - 04/11/13 08:06 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: deerhunter10]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Gonna do some contacting here soon, I don't want to see any par of yanahli destroyed by "recreational use"... Never hunted off iron bridge but don't want to see ANY part of the WMA go to waste. Thanks for sharing.

#3220161 - 04/12/13 08:14 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: catman529]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

thats catmans domain

#3220265 - 04/12/13 09:44 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: spitndrum]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?

Edited by pressfit (04/12/13 09:44 AM)

#3220322 - 04/12/13 10:39 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: pressfit]
drrxnupe
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN & Oxford, MS

I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???
#3220329 - 04/12/13 10:50 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: drrxnupe]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: drrxnupe
I will chime in. This has sort of (and still is) happened to Percy Priest WMA. Due to all of the local residential development, it is absolutely impossible to hunt. I've only hunted it twice this year and both times had random folks walk up and bust birds that I was watching. I understand that everyone has a right to use the land but what about the hunter's right???

Just comes with the territory on PP. Its basically urban hunting. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. Since that land is COE land, they don't even have to let us hunt it. Would you rather hunt and deal with suburbanites or not be able to hunt it? because those are the only possible 2 options. Even if it was state land/dedicated WMA that required a hunting license to be on during big game seasons, there is no way TWRA would have the man power to enforce that.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3220668 - 04/12/13 07:21 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Poser]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

wma's must be hunted mon-friday.

#3220678 - 04/12/13 07:32 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: redblood]
bowtechgump
Spike

Loc: Maury Co.,Tennessee

Catman you hunt Yanahli?
#3220684 - 04/12/13 07:37 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: pressfit]
bowtechgump
Spike

Originally Posted By: pressfit
Did yanahli come about when tva was forced to shut down the dam because of the snail darter?

Yes, and that sucker is everywhere. My family is from Somerset, Ky and they don't have a bridge crossing the creeks feeding Land Cumberland unless it is for an interstate for that sucker!

#3220687 - 04/12/13 07:42 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: redblood]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood
if I followed that rule I would be 3 birds short this season

#3220689 - 04/12/13 07:43 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: bowtechgump
Catman you hunt Yanahli?
yes often.

#3222116 - 04/14/13 09:25 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: redblood]
drrxnupe
8 Point

Originally Posted By: redblood

That's the only time i ever go. I hate to see what it looks like on weekends.

#3222118 - 04/14/13 09:29 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Poser]
drrxnupe
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: drrxnupe

Just comes with the territory on PP. Its basically urban hunting. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this. Since that land is COE land, they don't even have to let us hunt it. Would you rather hunt and deal with suburbanites or not be able to hunt it? because those are the only possible 2 options. Even if it was state land/dedicated WMA that required a hunting license to be on during big game seasons, there is no way TWRA would have the man power to enforce that.

I understand your point Poser. Really does suck. One of the guys who came in on me was wearing an orange vest as if he knew what he was doing. To be honest...sometimes I wish they'd just go ahead and make it a safety zone.

#3222519 - 04/15/13 01:09 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Yes, and that sucker is everywhere. My family is from Somerset, Ky and they don't have a bridge crossing the creeks feeding Land Cumberland unless it is for an interstate for that sucker!

My dad has/had a real close fried who lived on a big family farm that tva "confiscated" in order to build the dam.. 2-300 hundred acres.. well when it got canceled he tried to buy back his family farm... which is still there... and they said "no dice"..

#3223534 - 04/16/13 02:10 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: catman529]
bowtechgump
Spike

Originally Posted By: catman529
Catman you hunt Yanahli?
yes often.

I do as well. Surprised I haven't seen you around the sticks. You wanna chat out spots?

#3223733 - 04/16/13 06:00 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
kdxdude
10 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn.

I believe this is inaccurate. The Columbia Dam Project was shut down because of an endangered mussel, not the snail darter.

#3223837 - 04/16/13 08:01 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: kdxdude]
bowtechgump
Spike

Originally Posted By: kdxdude

I believe this is inaccurate. The Columbia Dam Project was shut down because of an endangered mussel, not the snail darter.

I agree they tell you it was because of a mussel now that is true. However when the dam project was first overturned it was because of a snail darter which was found a few years later to not be "endangered" at all. The quick fix was on then and the "mussel" was the official red herring to foot the bill.

#3223846 - 04/16/13 08:07 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
bowtechgump
Spike

But then you can read this and get more info on conspiracies.....
http://www.t-g.com/story/1284225.html
I agree they tell you it was because of a mussel now that is true. However when the dam project was first overturned it was because of a snail darter which was found a few years later to not be "endangered" at all. The quick fix was on then and the "mussel" was the official red herring to foot the bill.

Edited by bowtechgump (04/16/13 08:09 PM)

#3223861 - 04/16/13 08:14 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
bowtechgump
Spike

One thing is funny about the whole thing. I have friends with the TWRA and they say TVA is once again looking to build a dam in the Columbia area. It seems that with the growth in this region that Normandy is falling short and there are two options to alleviate the issue. The first is to up-size Normandy dam the latter is a dam in Columbia not along the "Duck" but maybe on a major creek tributary like Fountain. Who knows what may happen but one thing is a guaranteed the government will buy/take the land and waste the money and the farmland. Yanahli II!!!!????
#3224041 - 04/16/13 10:46 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

One thing is funny about the whole thing. I have friends with the TWRA and they say TVA is once again looking to build a dam in the Columbia area. It seems that with the growth in this region that Normandy is falling short and there are two options to alleviate the issue. The first is to up-size Normandy dam the latter is a dam in Columbia not along the "Duck" but maybe on a major creek tributary like Fountain. Who knows what may happen but one thing is a guaranteed the government will buy/take the land and waste the money and the farmland. Yanahli II!!!!????
hope they don't dam up that area. I love the fountain creek and duck river area down there and don't want to see it a lake. Would hate to see one of my old hunting spots under water. Maybe that's just selfish though... I like it the way it is.

#3224338 - 04/17/13 11:21 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

it was tellico dam that was delayed by the snail darter.

#3529873 - 01/03/14 10:39 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: bowtechgump]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Ttt

Any update on this?
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3555765 - 01/21/14 04:59 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Rockhound]
tree_ghost
4 Point

Loc: mboro, tennessee

I have been driving back and forth from Nashville to Huntsville for work. After noticing this stand of woods I did some research on it. Apparently this is the WMA you are discussing in this thread. It looks to be in a great area. How has the early bow season historically been? With the acreage this place boasts i would think you could find some secluded areas of the beaten trail that are holding big deer? Is it a possibility that it won't be huntable in 2014?

#3666297 - 05/09/14 08:53 AM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Rockhound]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
Ttt

Any update on this?

Looks like its a done deal. 477 acres lost.

#3666854 - 05/09/14 09:03 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: trealtree]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: trealtree
Looks like its a done deal. 477 acres lost.
x2

http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/state-oks-wildlife-area-transfer

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3669759 - 05/13/14 09:29 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Andy S.]
Farm manager
Spike

Just a little note, the lands that were accumulated for the the Columbia Dam / Yanahli WMA were all purchased and none were taken by imminent domain. There were some road projects that were related to the Dam / lake where some properties were acquired through imminent domain but not for the reservoir itself.

One of the comments in the Daily Herald article that jumps out at me was that the Maury County Parks wanted 350 acres and TWRA gave them 477 acres and will let them develop trails and such through an adjoining 700 acres. Looks like the neighbor has got his foot in the door!!!

#3669762 - 05/13/14 09:35 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Farm manager]
Farm manager
Spike

Tree Ghost this WMA produces lots of deer and lots of turkeys with some nice trophy quality animals taken every year. I think that it ranked in or very near the top five WMA's for overall deer harvest and the only areas that were ahead of it have 10 times as much acreage or more. I believe that it ranks in the top 10 for turkeys also.
#3671096 - 05/15/14 04:13 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Farm manager]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Trails through an additional 700 acres? I pay to hunt there and don't want trails through that much acreage.

#3671110 - 05/15/14 04:21 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: catman529]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

So where is this land being replaced at? Or was this land actually owned by the TWRA? Ive seen some different suggestions as to ownership.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-70/chapter-5/70-5-101

(7) When lands owned by the agency are closed to hunting or fishing, the agency shall mitigate the closure by opening new lands to be used for the same purpose, within twelve (12) months of closure. The managed lands to be opened shall be at least equal to the acreage of lands closed by the agency and shall be located in the same grand division of the state in which the closed lands are located. The agency shall not be responsible for mitigation of land closures when lands not owned by the agency are removed from the agency's control or closed to hunting and fishing by the owning entity.

#3671151 - 05/15/14 05:31 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: smstone22]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

It's owned by twra, I know that for a fact because the maury county game warden told me.

What happens if they can't lease or purchase that kind of land on 12 months?
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3671169 - 05/15/14 06:05 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Rockhound]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Its not being taken its being given away

#3671171 - 05/15/14 06:06 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: Rockhound]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
It's owned by twra, I know that for a fact because the maury county game warden told me.

What happens if they can't lease or purchase that kind of land on 12 months?

Nothing. We will all go buy our license for more and more money and less land next year and the next so on and so on till its all gone

#3671706 - 05/16/14 01:27 PM Re: Yanahli Land BEING TAKEN!!! ATTENTION!!! [Re: smstone22]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: smstone22
So where is this land being replaced at? Or was this land actually owned by the TWRA? Ive seen some different suggestions as to ownership.

http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-70/chapter-5/70-5-101

(7) When lands owned by the agency are closed to hunting or fishing, the agency shall mitigate the closure by opening new lands to be used for the same purpose, within twelve (12) months of closure. The managed lands to be opened shall be at least equal to the acreage of lands closed by the agency and shall be located in the same grand division of the state in which the closed lands are located. The agency shall not be responsible for mitigation of land closures when lands not owned by the agency are removed from the agency's control or closed to hunting and fishing by the owning entity.

Great question. I brought this up on the other thread, I just did not have the TCA handy.

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.