Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3194052 - 03/15/13 10:30 PM Broadheads!
Cbutl
Spike

Loc: Wayne co.

Any experienced hunters have any advice to picking the best broadheads for different set-ups?
#3194059 - 03/15/13 10:44 PM Re: Broadheads! [Re: Cbutl]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

content Online
First of all, welcome to the site and the forum! \:\)
You are going to get as many different opinions as there broadheads out there on the subject. It basically boils down to what you have the most confidence in—as it does any choice you make in your archery equipment. Me personally, I use and highly recommend surgical sharp fixed-blade broadheads like G5 Strikers or Slick Tricks, due to the simplicity and zero chance of something going wrong, or losing energy, due to moving parts. However, some people absolutely swear on their life on mechanicals like Rage, T3's and others. I will say this, if you are using a lower poundage setup, or a setup that doesn't produce at least moderate speed, I then very highly suggest you stay away from mechanicals of any type.
Whatever you choose to go with, pick an arrow that is balanced as far as weight ratio to kinetic energy and arrow drop—it will take a little homework to find that arrow, but the choice in arrow is just as important, if not more so, than the broadhead you put on it.

#3194074 - 03/15/13 11:09 PM Re: Broadheads! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
UTGrad
14 Point

Loc: Franklin, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
You are going to get as many different opinions as there broadheads out there on the subject. It basically boils down to what you have the most confidence in—as it does any choice you make in your archery equipment. Me personally, I use and highly recommend surgical sharp fixed-blade broadheads like G5 Strikers or Slick Tricks, due to the simplicity and zero chance of something going wrong, or losing energy, due to moving parts. However, some people absolutely swear on their life on mechanicals like Rage, T3's and others. I will say this, if you are using a lower poundage setup, or a setup that doesn't produce at least moderate speed, I then very highly suggest you stay away from mechanicals of any type.
Whatever you choose to go with, pick an arrow that is balanced as far as weight ratio to kinetic energy and arrow drop—it will take a little homework to find that arrow, but the choice in arrow is just as important, if not more so, than the broadhead you put on it.

Good advice here

#3194103 - 03/15/13 11:57 PM Re: Broadheads! [Re: UTGrad]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
TNDeerGuy knows his stuff, so does UTG

I'm not an experienced hunter but I say Thunderheads are the way to go.... only other broadhead I have considered trying is the Magnus stinger 2-blade. I have heard good and bad about expandables. The bad being poor penetration and blades opening in mid-flight. good being huge blood trails when they do work. I don't care to try them really. Thunderhead is a solid head... killed 3 deer with the same one, no sharpening, blew through 3 deer and the 3rd one it got caught on the leg on the way out and broke off the arrow never to be found. would have killed more if I had found it. I have only killed 6 deer with a bow so far but all have been with the thunderhead and not once was the broadhead bent or broken.

OK I am done and hope you figure out which broadhead to use.

...since last deer season

#3194115 - 03/16/13 12:25 AM Re: Broadheads! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

great post!

#3194118 - 03/16/13 12:26 AM Re: Broadheads! [Re: UTGrad]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: UTGrad

Good advice here
^^^^^

Genesis 27:3

#3214829 - 04/06/13 01:21 AM Re: Broadheads! [Re: TNDeerGuy]
Poleaxe
8 Point

Loc: Etowah Tennessee

You know I posted a reply about this very same topic on archerytalk about all the energy a mechanical looses and that was the dumbest thing they had ever heard. Reason number 100 I never went back.

#3219781 - 04/11/13 06:54 PM Re: Broadheads! [Re: Cbutl]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

You will hear alot of discussion. Make your own choice. I have used them all and love Muzzy's....and RAge 2 blade which is shown below.....devastation! Pictures tell a story....enjoy. ;\)

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Bowhunting%20Related/P09-24-11_0928.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Bowhunting%20Related/100908_0927a.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1349658649467.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ResizedImage_1348970088004.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s293.photobucket.com/user/camoman270/media/Trophy/rage_broadheads.jpg.html][/URL]

#3234445 - 04/29/13 08:52 AM Re: Broadheads! [Re: Boone 58]
Bootlegger
4 Point

Loc: Crossville,TN

What set up are you shooting?

Roll Tide!

#3255777 - 05/27/13 03:21 PM Re: Broadheads! [Re: Bootlegger]
Cbutl
Spike

Loc: Wayne co.

I'm not using a high poundage bow so I think I'm gonna try the g5 strikers like someone referred above.
Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
78 registered (RKenney, utfan1, Southpaw, catman529, walker07, old guy, 7 invisible) and 125 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93340 Topics
1089859 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.11 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.