Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3216997 - 04/08/13 07:27 PM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: richwoods]
TNDeerGuy
12 Point

Loc: Old Hickory/Mt.Juliet, TN

Originally Posted By: richwoods
Discouraging day today. Ran into three different hunters. One of them was actually gobbling. Changed spots and ran into a homeless camp.

That's typical Priest—right down to the homeless camps...the northern side of the lake is littered with them. However, be careful though as many of the "homeless camps" are actually make shift meth labs and somebody could be armed and near. As Gravey stated, gobbling is something you should not ever do on public land and I'm very leary of running and gunning "goofy" sounding gobbles on public land because it is a great way to get shot.

Whatever you do, hang in there and when out with the masses and stay patient.

#3217173 - 04/08/13 10:03 PM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: TNDeerGuy]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: TNDeerGuy
Discouraging day today. Ran into three different hunters. One of them was actually gobbling. Changed spots and ran into a homeless camp.

That's typical Priest—right down to the homeless camps...the northern side of the lake is littered with them. However, be careful though as many of the "homeless camps" are actually make shift meth labs and somebody could be armed and near. As Gravey stated, gobbling is something you should not ever do on public land and I'm very leary of running and gunning "goofy" sounding gobbles on public land because it is a great way to get shot.

Whatever you do, hang in there and when out with the masses and stay patient.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the "gobble" calls, I was always afraid common sense would be ignored when using them, sadly it appears my fear was correct.

Its almost a consideration to think about limiting their use on smaller public land parcels, dang near a safety concern. I know you cannot fix stupid but we might be able to help the ignorant.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3217360 - 04/09/13 08:01 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: AT Hiker]
Recoil
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Wow, after reading these comments I think not only would I put some miles on my shoe leather, I would put some miles on my truck and find a more rural WMA to hunt!
#3217468 - 04/09/13 09:41 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: Recoil]
richwoods
Spike

Loc: Nashville TN

The bad thing about this is everyday I see AT LEAST 3 big toms strutting around my house. I live in a neighborhood in Cane Ridge for yall who are familiar with the area. Deer and Turkeys everywhere.

And the more I think about the homeless camp the more I think it might have been a meth lab.

#3217519 - 04/09/13 10:31 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: richwoods]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Priest is pretty large, and if you hunt the fields or around them it could get crowded, because everyone else does that.

Like someone else said the pressure is a bit higher this year, but what I have learned is by middle to end of April a lot give up and the number of hunters drop, and usually my bird sightings go up, so hang in there and you might just get it done.

Also if you are off during the week, go then.

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

#3217535 - 04/09/13 10:45 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: richwoods]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

And the more I think about the homeless camp the more I think it might have been a meth lab.

Y'all leave Bowriter's house alone, now. \:D

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3217546 - 04/09/13 10:59 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: Poser]
richwoods
Spike

Loc: Nashville TN

Bone Collector, the only times I hunt Percy is during the week.

Are the islands worth giving a shot?

#3217603 - 04/09/13 11:59 AM Re: Turkey hunting Percy Priest [Re: Bone Collector]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: Bone Collector
Like someone else said the pressure is a bit higher this year, but what I have learned is by middle to end of April a lot give up and the number of hunters drop, and usually my bird sightings go up, so hang in there and you might just get it done.

How vocal are the birds you see mid to late season? I experience the same drop in hunters, but I find that gobbles can be hard to come by the second half of the season.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (gun nut, Cowman71, kentuckylakebuck, Stick'n'String, tanker179, MachDR) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.