Loc: TN

That's impressive J-WO.
Glad to hear it.

They don't roll like that at LBL though. \:D

#3217505 - 04/09/13 10:20 AM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: RUGER]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

There are some strange folks out there too, I was deer hunting once and a guy come walking under my stand with a bow and arrow, spot and stalk hunting in october in hardwoods. He said "I think a little movement is always good"
#3217548 - 04/09/13 11:02 AM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: woodsman87]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

What bone collector said is spot on
I never called on Percy to many other hunters doing it. I killed them there quietly spot and setting up where they were headed. I do call on Yanahli i usually don't see many hunters though. Most time the only hunters i see are the ones i take with me lol i call on Normandy i usually don't see people once i get off the main trails

Edited by ImThere (04/09/13 11:08 AM)

#3217553 - 04/09/13 11:07 AM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: woodsman87]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I hardly ever run into other hunters in the woods on public land.

-If you are hunting the morning, always be the first one there.

-If a vehicle is at your access point, move on

-if you are hunting out of state, try to park in away that your license plate is not showing.

-if possible, have a listening spot that is far enough away from roads that gobbling bird can't be heard. Most hunters like to listen from the parking area.

-If there is water, use hip boots, a boat/canoe/kayak or just get wet to get another area that is not accessible.

-don't hunt the obvious spot. This includes fields. Hunt the woods. If you hunt the woods instead of fields, you eliminate a large % of your problems with other hunters. For the most part, the hunters who purposely choose to hunt deep woods instead of hunting fields are experienced hunters and therefore tend to be safe and responsible hunters.

-for the obvious and popular spots such as fields etc, hunt them after 9 in the morning. By 9 or 9:30, turkey woods empty out, especially of amateur hunters. Where a 10,000 acre WMA may have 50+ hunters at 8 am, there will be less 10 by 9:30, probably even 5 or less. I would rather have a solitude hunt with 1 gobble than a gobble heavy hunt with other hunters all around me. Go for the solitude in the early morning and then move in on more obvious area in the mid morning.

-don't be afraid to hunt odd times. The hunting is often slow, but many experienced turkey hunters kill birds after 10 am.

-when you do encounter another hunter in the woods, be nice. There can be a lot of attitude out there in the turkey woods. People can get very worked up and blame all of their failures on other hunters even consider seeing another hunter as "ruining" their day. On the occasion that I encounter another hunter with an attitude problem, I usually just kill them with kindness. Its kind of funny to make them feel start to feel guilty for their default attitude towards you. I have exchanged very useful information with complete strangers before, even gotten invited to hunt some private land after a 15 minute conversation with a complete stranger.

The difference between public and private land can be significant in terms of turkey behavior. Its always amazing to me when I hunt private land for the first time during turkey season.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3217594 - 04/09/13 11:54 AM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: redblood]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: redblood
hunt during the week and never, ever, ever hunt opening weekend
I killed a bird opening weekend and didn't see another hunter

godores, that guy who fired in the air is a total buttwipe... someimes people will walk in on your setup and sometimes you walk in on people, it's public land and it will happen. Last year on opening morning a guy walked in past me and I whistled at him, he seemed pretty nice and told me where he was setting up (closer to the roosted birds than I was set up... oh well). He ended up killing a jake right after flydown and I didn't kill anything, but it was OK... A few days later, I was hunting another area in the corner of a field and had a guy set up a blind and decoys 350 yd across the field from me, after I was already settled into my spot. After some gobblers came in behind me and one of them showed up at 5 yards and busted me, all the gobblers and hens went out across the field to his decoys and he shot one. Then the birds just started walking back toward my end of the field, and I shot the first gobbler that came into sight.

Sometimes another hunter can ruin your hunt and sometimes you both might kill a bird, so it's not always the end of the world when two are setup near each other.

All that said though, I much prefer having the woods to myself. I avoided bigger tracts of land and big fields this year on opening morning, and didn't see another hunter, saw and heard plenty of birds, and killed a gobbler before noon.

#3217629 - 04/09/13 12:48 PM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: catman529]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

It's been awhile since I've hunted Yanahli .My way to avoid other hunters there was with a canoe. Most hunters don't like to get to far from where they park.A lot of Yanahli is easier to access from the water.I would quietly float down stream until I heard a gobble then park the canoe. Stalk until U find a good set up then do a little calling. It is against the law to hunt from a moving boat.Make sure not to shoot or call while the canoe is in motion. Turkey's need a drink 1st thing in the morning and in the evening before they fly up to roost for the night.There are some islands in the river that have roosting trees also.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3217635 - 04/09/13 12:57 PM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
It's been awhile since I've hunted Yanahli .My way to avoid other hunters there was with a canoe. Most hunters don't like to get to far from where they park.A lot of Yanahli is easier to access from the water.I would quietly float down stream until I heard a gobble then park the canoe. Stalk until U find a good set up then do a little calling. It is against the law to hunt from a moving boat.Make sure not to shoot or call while the canoe is in motion. Turkey's need a drink 1st thing in the morning and in the evening before they fly up to roost for the night.There are some islands in the river that have roosting trees also.
I might be wrong but I think you can shoot from your canoe, it's only illegal if the boat is moving from mechanical propulsion ie. a gas or electric motor, but drifting in the current or from your paddle I think that is legal. Someone from TWRA could confirm this but I think that's what I've heard them say if I remember correctly.

Oh and how did you get back upstream in the canoe? I took my 1432 flat bottom with 5 horse motor downstream to scout an would never have made it back upstream without the gas motor. I ended up just hunting from road access (sometimes walking over a mile in) but the boat is definitely an option to hunt with if needed.

#3217721 - 04/09/13 02:42 PM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: catman529]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

2 different Horseshoe bends that are easy portage spots for a 7 ft canoe. Other times I used the buddy system.I'd take the bigger canoe and get dropped off or picked up.Hunted a few times with other guys and used 2 vehicles.Put in one spot and take out at another.

#3217750 - 04/09/13 03:26 PM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
godores
Button

Loc: Nashville

Wow.. I am continually blown away by how helpful and encouraging everyone on this site is. I've definitely heard some good ideas on how to proceed moving forward. I really just wanted to make sure that I wasn't out of line or missing something since he got so angry so quickly, but it sounds like I just got really unlucky that day. Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to post to the kill pics thread before the season ends! Thanks again for all the help!
#3217868 - 04/09/13 06:17 PM Re: Hunter Etiquette [Re: godores]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

It is not unusual when hunting public land to run across people that think the spot they've picked belongs to them personally.All season long. The general rule of thumb is the 1st one there that day has Dibs.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13108 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (EXPRESSJET, BowGuy84, TNRifleman, johnny371, BigM, TN_Greenhead, 12 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13108 Members
42 Forums
88904 Topics
1039991 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.275 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.