Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3217303 - 04/09/13 06:02 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: Outdoor life]
WG Taxidermist
8 Point

Loc: Hardin County

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
I don't know about current break action shotguns, but for a dependable pump action, I would go with Mossberg. I have a 835 and 500, and the only problem I've ever had (knock on wood) was somehow the cartridge stop got bent, but now that's fixed and both work great. To me the kick of both guns even with turkey load and choke is not bad at all.

If she decides to start hunting, I know I like having more than one or two shells in the gun.

Have you cleaned the 870 and reoiled it? If not, that may be a reason why it sticks.
Yeah we breaks it down after every practice and cleans it.

Will Rogers

#3217335 - 04/09/13 07:21 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: WG Taxidermist]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

Originally Posted By: WG Taxidermist
I think id like to get an o/u just incase she starts shooting doubles. Right now her high school team only shoots singles. he 870 is a pump and we've tried many different brands of shells and they all do it. The rio's seam to be the worst. Each shoot they shoot 100 rounds and the gun starts jamming on her after about the65 to 70 round.

I have shot an 870 all my life skeet and trap as well as hunting, I never heard of an 870 doing what your saying. don't they shoot one round take a break and then shoot another round giving the gun time to cool in between?

I think you have a bad 870, I don't believe the heat of shooting it is the problem. in my experience anyway.

#3217337 - 04/09/13 07:23 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: Outdoor life]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

1187 hard to beat
#3217353 - 04/09/13 07:40 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: Slaughter-06]
WG Taxidermist
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Slaughter-06
 Originally Posted By: WG Taxidermist
I think id like to get an o/u just incase she starts shooting doubles. Right now her high school team only shoots singles. he 870 is a pump and we've tried many different brands of shells and they all do it. The rio's seam to be the worst. Each shoot they shoot 100 rounds and the gun starts jamming on her after about the65 to 70 round.

I have shot an 870 all my life skeet and trap as well as hunting, I never heard of an 870 doing what your saying. don't they shoot one round take a break and then shoot another round giving the gun time to cool in between?
Yeah they only shoot one time but there is only 5 on the line and they shoot so fast it doesn't have time to cool. When I go up to check to see if her choke is still tight after each round of 25 the barrel is so hot you can't hardly touch it. Remington had a recall on some of their 870's last year I just wonder if hers might be one of them.
I think you have a bad 870, I don't believe the heat of shooting it is the problem. in my experience anyway.

Edited by WG Taxidermist (04/09/13 07:41 AM)

Will Rogers

#3217357 - 04/09/13 07:46 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: WG Taxidermist]
WG Taxidermist
8 Point

Yeah there is only 5 that shoot on the line at a time but they shoot so fast it doesn't have time to cool. When I go up to check her choke after each round the barrel is so hot you cant hardly touch it! Remington had a recall on some of their 870's last year I just wonder if hers might be one of them.

Will Rogers

#3217377 - 04/09/13 08:15 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: WG Taxidermist]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

I don't know what your budget limit is, but if it is something that she will be sticking with a low end O/U will wear out with thousands of rounds involved in competitive trap shooting. The better O/U's will have removable hinge pins and other easily replaced wear parts that allow them to shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds. You should be able to find a good used O/U trap gun that will save you quite a bit over new, just make sure that it has not been abused and replacement wear parts are available. My Beretta old style 686 sporting clays O/U (it has the same receiver as the 682 competition guns) has had about 40,000 rounds through it and is nowhere near needing the hinge pins replaced.

The downside of a trap O/U for a youngster is that they are pretty heavy so fatigue can be a problem; the upside is that the heavier gun will help maintain follow-through on shots. If your daughter is serious about it, it will be vital that the gun fit her properly to maximize her potential and since she is still growing an adjustable stock is probably the way to go.

If a good O/U is out of your price range, the suggestions above about the Beretta 300 series is on target (pun intended!). They are soft shooting and pretty durable, as well as being lighter than a true trap O/U.

#3217426 - 04/09/13 09:09 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: Chaneylake]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
do not buy a browning the recoil is to harsh,

this make no sense.. if the browning you shot had a harsh recoil its because it did not fit you..

#3217446 - 04/09/13 09:27 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: pressfit]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

If I were you I would get a Browning XT.. I have been a trap coach for several years.. these guns are built like tanks and hardly ever break down.. Honestly.. in the game of trap you want a heavy gun.. that way when you get the momentum of the swing going it helps keep it going.. you will stop the gun a lot less with a heavy gun.. I did the same thing you are doing but 5-6 years ago.. my daughter started at age 9 or 10 with a youth 20 gauge 1100, then she went to a browning citori 20 gauge, won the state in her age with it.. once I realized she was going to stick with it and I didnt want to keep on buying guns I bit the bullet and I got her a nice used Perazzi with a soft touch stock.. zero recoil.. I figured it would last her from junior high until she got out of college.. she has won 2-3 more state championships and one national championship..since then.. stay as far away from the stogers/mossbergs as you can.. they will not last until the water gets hot.. also.. remember when you buy a higher priced gun, your not married to it..if she decides trap aint her game.. sell it.. you'll probably make money on it..

#3217453 - 04/09/13 09:31 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: pressfit]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: pressfit
 Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
do not buy a browning the recoil is to harsh,

this make no sense.. if the browning you shot had a harsh recoil its because it did not fit you..

I agree. I have many different Browning guns and they all kick differently. Some very little and some a lot. I also own Remingtons, Winchesters, Marlins, Springfields, etc. You can not say one manufacturer has more "kick" than another. If you don't like brownings, just say so. The softest shooting shotgun I have is a Browning Maxus. I have shot lots of trap with this shotgun and it has VERY minimal recoil. Remington and Beretta make soft shooters as well. Best advice is get someone competent at fitting a gun to your daughter.

#3217520 - 04/09/13 10:33 AM Re: shotgun? [Re: Outdoor life]
WG Taxidermist
8 Point

A Browning BT99 is what she really wants. I had one found for $1000 but the guy had already sold it before I could get to it.

Will Rogers

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (WhitesCreek, keystonecop, KubotaM4900, GoldenEagle09, F250, Daniel n, 1 invisible) and 37 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92902 Topics
1085470 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.