Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2965990 - 10/02/12 05:36 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: Robtattoo]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I had a 21" barreled Tree Hawk from T/C and could never get it to group all that well. It was a fun gun and easy to clean but I don't really want another short barrelled muzzleloader.

I'm not going to be in a hurry with this project. With muzzleloader season, a couple of muzzleloader shooting matches coming up, and the start of turkey shoot matches I've got a lot to keep me occupied for a while.

I've seen Bob's address on muzzleloadingforum, maybe you need to write him a letter.

#2970504 - 10/05/12 10:26 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: TennesseeJed]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Had the day off today and took the $75 Renegade and $80 Renegade both with me to shoot. After 4 shots, one in the black and the other three all over the place I said that's enough for the $75 Renegade, I'm finished with it.

Loaded the $80 Renegade, cap snapped no boom, snapped another one no boom. Poured a little powder under the nipple, same thing. I thought you've got to be kidding. Tried pulling the ball it wouldn't budge. Poured more powder under the nipple, hangfire boom finally. Hit high, not unexpected considering the hangfire. After that it shot wonderfully, had a baseball sized group and it looks like it's going to be an excellent shooter.

Lost a pocketknife while I was shooting, gives me a good reason to go back tomorrow and Sunday.

#2981463 - 10/14/12 07:06 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: TennesseeJed]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

Windy and threatening rain this morning but I needed to get outside and do something so I took the Renegade out again. Started out at 33 yards, shooting 70 grains of Goex 3F, .495 ball, and pillow ticking patches, first two shots hit about 6 inches high but close to each other. I dropped the powder down to 60 grains and shot an amazing 5 shot group. When I was loading the next shot I noticed the wedge key had slipped out about an eighth of a inch. I pushed it back in and the next shot was way left and low. Next two shots were low but back in line with the 5 shot group. Tried a little Kentucky windage trying to get back into the 5 shot group but hit left of the group. Figured I'd call it a day after that.

When I was driving out saw a whitetail running back in the edge of the woods, couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. I had noticed a sassafras that had been rubbed not far from where I was shooting a few days ago.

#3213725 - 04/04/13 05:48 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: TennesseeJed]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

I saw Bob Hoyt at the York shoot and gave him the pitted .50 Renegade barrel to rebore to .54. He said it would take about two weeks. Got home today to find that old barrel with bright shiny new rifling. Ran a patch and jag down it and it was as smooth as can be.

Of course it had to be raining so I couldn't take it out and shoot it.

#3213764 - 04/04/13 06:29 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: TennesseeJed]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

Dang!!...that was a fast turn around. Bob Hoyt is a master at restoring barrels. What kind of twist and groove configuration did you settle on?
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

#3215829 - 04/07/13 02:45 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: Wobblyshot1]
TennesseeJed
4 Point

I had him put a 1-66" twist in it, with round bottom grooves, the depth looks about the same as a T/C.

I took it out and shot it today, let's just say it's incredible at the difference. I took the T/C adjustable sight off and put a fixed sight on it. Had one "flier" that was about a half inch outside the group. This Renegade is the single-trigger model and the pull on it is close to lawyer proof, wish it had set-triggers, bet that would shrink the group even more.

I am more than pleased with the job he did.

#3215856 - 04/07/13 03:23 PM Re: Yield not to temptation... [Re: TennesseeJed]
Wobblyshot1
8 Point

Loc: Rutherford County

A great combination for shooting patched round balls. A 54 ball is certain death to a white tail if you put it through the boiler room.

It sounds like you need a trigger job. A little honing on the sear and tumbler engagement can make all the difference in the world to its let off. Of course, a set trigger install is certainly feasible too.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
I like Flintlocks!

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
118 registered (BULL MOOSE, cdw338, utfan1, thebutcher, birddog, critter slayer, 10 invisible) and 197 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96146 Topics
1125821 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.