Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3210385 - 04/01/13 12:35 PM Mentallist vs Method Hunting
BigSatt
10 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tn.

How do you hunt? What I mean is do you meticulously look for every detailed fact that you can find about feeding locations, transition zones, and bedding areas BEFORE you hang a stand and hunt? Or, do you seek out the most likely avenues of travel (pinch points), hang your stand(s), and stay out of the area until time to hunt?

I've done both and had decent success with both. However, since I mainly hunt during November anymore, I find that I lean more to hunting pinch points. Especially since the evolution of modern trail cameras. I do enjoy seeing those pics, and generally the cameras are not very close to my stands, as I don't want that much pressure close to them. Thanks for looking. Anxiously awaiting responses.

#3210433 - 04/01/13 01:30 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: BigSatt]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

I use a combination of both, when hunting somewhere new.

I will look over topo maps and if its got a decent one, the bird's eye Bing map to pin point locations that I want to scout closer on foot. Then I'll get out and look, put out my cameras and probably pick some trees for stands and mark them.

I'll check for sign and the cameras periodically, until late July or early August. I then take all I've seen and found and get stands up. In the past I'd have 1-2 stands per 20 arces and 1 ground blind(atleast that was my average in Wisconsin, it would depend on the terrian as to how many I'd put up).

If it's a area I'm regularly hunting I will have all the above information and take my years sightings and maybe adjust my stands maybe they stay up. I'd also have to take into consideration what improvements I've made to the property. Did I try to create a bedding area, a new food plot, did part of the property get logged that year, did the surrounding farmers rotate crops, ect. I will take a stand down right after the season is over if it was unproductive and I know it has to be changed(even if it's just 20 or 30 yards), but I put them up the same time each year.

It's a fine line between giving the deer time to settle back into thier comfort zone and gathering information on them to make the choice of which tree. I guess, as I'm getting older I am starting to think more and more about the hunt. I know I want venison in the freezer every year, but the one thing I'm lacking as a deer hunter is that trophy on the wall.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3210438 - 04/01/13 01:33 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: BigSatt]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

All the farms i hunt are crop land.Fence rows and small parcels of woods 2acres to 50 acres.So all my hunting is pinch points.Most all have set ups for a north or south wind. Hunt the right spots when the winds dictate.Climb up and wait em out.Either the rut or hunting pressure moves em around.

I will also hunt the watering holes when its hot and dry.

Edited by Mr.Bro (04/01/13 01:34 PM)

#3210748 - 04/01/13 06:23 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: Mr.Bro]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I just put stands where I think I can kill deer. If I am buck hunting, I put them where I think I can kill a buck. If I am trophy buck hunting, I narrow that down.

I have always tried to avoid overthinking something so simple.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3210775 - 04/01/13 06:48 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: bowriter]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Having cut my teeth on public land, my mind automatically defaults to looking for out of the way and/or potentially overlooked spots that are close to potential bedding areas and thicker than most hunters prefer. I also tend to look for subtle terrain funnels and transition zones. Seems that, time and time again, I pick a spot based on the above criteria and then I will encounter deer in that exact spot, but not moving the way that I would expect. Upon further inspection, I often find a even more subtle feature than what first attracted me to that spot. The more experience I gain, the more I tend to focus on subtitles.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3210789 - 04/01/13 07:00 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: Poser]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
I just look for an area that looks good, preferably close to bedding, funnels etc... Basically if it "looks good" ill try and hunt it.

#3210791 - 04/01/13 07:02 PM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: catman529]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Very detailed and meticulous.

Edited by String Music (04/01/13 07:09 PM)
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

#3211132 - 04/02/13 08:10 AM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: BigSatt]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: BigSatt
...do you seek out the most likely avenues of travel (pinch points), hang your stand(s), and stay out of the area until time to hunt?

However, since I mainly hunt during November anymore, I find that I lean more to hunting pinch points.

The above, for the reason you stated; I'm primarily hunting rut-driven (buck seeking) patterns in November, hence I'm hunting travel patterns bucks use to move from area to area seeking estrus does. However, we have few "pinch-points" or bottlenecks. We are primarily covering "higher odds" travel routes driven by terrain and habitat features (especially habitat edges) that act as travel routes between patches of sanctuary cover.

In addition, I'm hunting with family members. Pre-season, we try to set up as many ladder stands as possible so we have many, many hunting locations to switch between, in an attempt to reduce hunting pressure on any given location. We are often trying to cover 25+ "higher odds" travel locations. We never know which will be "hot" that year and which will not, but if we cover enough locations, we'll eventually hit some good ones for that year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3211231 - 04/02/13 10:02 AM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: BSK]
BigSatt
10 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tn.

BSk, if I'm not mistaken, you are primarily hunting big timber?

My use of the phrase "pinch points" most definitely relates to the type of habitat that I'm hunting in Western Ky and Southern Illinois. My primary farm in Ky is CRP and woodlots. That farm is surrounded on 3 sides with agriculture. In Illinois, 3 of our 5 farms are in timbered river bottoms that connect with major agriculture. I'm a believer in hunting the river systems and waterways in that flat land. The majority of the cover will be along the water systems, which provides ample pinch point locations.

#3211278 - 04/02/13 10:28 AM Re: Mentallist vs Method Hunting [Re: BigSatt]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I'd say I'm meticulous about the method. I believe pressure does more than anything to deer...especially mature deer. The farms I hunt in NW Indiana are crop ground. I can pretty well know where other hunters hunt, and focus in the void areas with thick cover around the rut and find deer and good bucks.

Here in KY I hunt terrain/cover funnels but wait until things are right. Even my best stands might get hunted 2-3 times a year...if that.

Early season and late I find (or put out) the food and monitor closely with trail cameras to determine where bucks I am interested in are, and how they are using the area.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308, TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1
13553 Registered Users
Who's Online
125 registered (TraumaSlave, ruger7mag, SX3Mike, L.C. Kid, THEdonkey0515, Model 1, 12 invisible) and 223 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13553 Members
42 Forums
99416 Topics
1169446 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.