Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3210090 - 04/01/13 12:02 AM No Job is Worth Your Life
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Industrial outage season is gearing up, and it's already started ugly at Arkansas Nuclear One (ANO). I've spent more hours than I can count at that facility, and it blows my mind that they had a fatality performing a job right along my line of work, in a place I've walked many footsteps.

Do it right or go to the house. There's no job or company on the face of this Earth that's worth your life. Be careful out there guys. It's drilled into our heads all the time, but maybe one more reminder might make you think enough to keep you from doing something stupid.

http://wtvr.com/2013/03/31/1-dead-3-hurt-after-accident-at-ark-nuclear-plant/

#3210122 - 04/01/13 05:50 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: TAFKAP]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

Yeah brother I e been there many of times. Heck we could have crossed paths before. I'm up at limerick right now. Then the next place is three mile island

It's pretty sad that a young man died. That's forsure

#3210167 - 04/01/13 08:18 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: hunter drew]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Gotta remember at all times...... That machinery WANTS TO KILL YOU and act accordingly. My helpers around the farm routinely walk in front of the tractor blocked from sight by the bucket and think I am unreasonable when I go ballistic on them.

One slip or trip and they will be run over.

#3210229 - 04/01/13 09:49 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: fishboy1]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I was a safety director for many years. I can not recall a single injury that was not the fault of the injured employee. All of the injuries were failures to follow basic common sense rules.

#3210290 - 04/01/13 11:01 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: Kirk]
TAFKAP
14 Point

From what I understand, the crane & rigging contractor seems to be at fault. The stator crashed through the building and really did a tremendous amount of damage. I expect this crane contractor to be changing names (or ownership) very soon.

Not only will they have to pay a huge wrongful death lawsuit, they'll have to rebuild part of a nuke plant.

If you're a dumb terrorist, you fly a plane into the 6' thick containment building and blow your plane up. But if you really want to bring down a power plant, aim for the turbine building. I wonder if Unit 1 will ever come back on-line now.

#3210303 - 04/01/13 11:16 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: TAFKAP]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

I know one thing if you work in a high risk area like nuke engineering and working with the weapons you have had a few safety lessons and it is probably one of the safest places to work because of the safety rules but if you are not smart and follow the rules and common sense things can go bad real quick. When I worked in weapons we always said the warnings were written in blood.
#3210327 - 04/01/13 11:42 AM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: waynesworld]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Yes.....and the sad thing is, they have been engaged in meetings for at least the past year on how to execute this lift properly. Nuke plants make it nearly impossible to screw up, and how this happened is beyond me. For one, it was detailed down to the simplest task, and somehow, someone slipped up.

Luckily, it wasn't in the containment building. And since this is a pressurized system, none of the stuff in the turbine building is radioactive. This is going to be EXTREMELY ugly. I doubt the crane company will be able to come out of this. Before yesterday, they were one of the top three names in the crane business.

#3210574 - 04/01/13 03:38 PM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: TAFKAP]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Safety rules are already over the top around those power plants. I have done a lot of geotechnical drilling at different power plants and its hard to get anything accomplished for all the safety rules. I agree you can never be too safe but some things are just rediculous. Looks like they will have a few hundred more safety procedures after this one. I feel sorry to the ones that were hurt and killed and also their families.
#3210584 - 04/01/13 03:51 PM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: TRIGGER]
plinker22
16 Point

Loc: Mountians of East Tennessee

Tragic!

You be careful out there TAFKAP (and hunter drew). You boys would be missed on TnDeer. Safety first... every time!

Edited by plinker22 (04/01/13 03:51 PM)

#3210618 - 04/01/13 04:25 PM Re: No Job is Worth Your Life [Re: TRIGGER]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: TRIGGER
Safety rules are already over the top around those power plants. I have done a lot of geotechnical drilling at different power plants and its hard to get anything accomplished for all the safety rules. I agree you can never be too safe but some things are just rediculous. Looks like they will have a few hundred more safety procedures after this one. I feel sorry to the ones that were hurt and killed and also their families.

Yes, they are over the top. And I can understand your level of frustration for geotechnical surveys that happen to be on the property of a nuke facility. But I've actually been in this plant, doing exactly this type of work, and when you consider the hundreds of millions (billions, even) of dollars worth of equipment you risk, never mind the lives of surrounding areas, there's no such thing as "too careful" to a nuke-head. I don't know what happened in this accident, but most rigging accidents are 100% preventable.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Poleaxe, ruger7mag, Jeff!, jard, rocket04, Jackman, 8 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
96146 Topics
1125829 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.083 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.