Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3210088 - 03/31/13 11:55 PM Wonder if Obama would listen to his fore fathers?
hunter0925
8 Point

Loc: TN, Rhea,

Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.
Benjamin Franklin, letter to Collinson, 1753

I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, 1766

Edited by hunter0925 (03/31/13 11:56 PM)

#3210490 - 04/01/13 02:19 PM Re: Wonder if Obama would listen to his fore fathers? [Re: hunter0925]
nodog
4 Point

Loc: Ohio

welfare didn't come about at the poors hands and there are many rich who do quit well off what the poor receive from the government. This idea of hitting the poor to solve the problem won't help or happen. You have to look at the history of wealth in this county and see how it's been used to understand how welfare came about and why it's going no where. Also, any dependence upon government to get rid of it is foolishness, government loves a welfare state, MASSIVE GOVERNMENT REGULATION.

Government regulation is very bad, but it must regulate because the people are worse to each other, that's why government exploded into a welfare state in the first place. Anyone who thinks the 20's were roaring for the country is deaf, dumb and blind. It only roared for a minority who then, because of their corrupt nature plunged the country into one of it's darkest times and gave birth to the welfare state.

I like a lot of Franklin, but he established government as a provider of the people through many government programs he established.

During his time England had this country divided up into huge sections with a "Lord" over each section. People who owned land in those section paid a land tax (established by Franklin) for public works. Franklin's whole deal and much of the reason behind his works were getting the Proprietors to pay tax on their vast holdings, they were exempt and Franklin believed the public works could be so much better if they were made to pay. He even spent 2 years in England trying to convince the Crown the Proprietors should pay, he never won and the powerful Proprietors punished him for it. That was just before the revolution. Franklin is responsible for the government we have, he just didn't see it coming. A central government was his idea, he didn't see the country becoming one central nation giving birth to a centralized federal government controlling/forcing all to bend to it's will in whatever it deemed important for society, Franklin was big into creating a society.

Edited by nodog (04/01/13 02:20 PM)

#3210683 - 04/01/13 05:49 PM Re: Wonder if Obama would listen to his fore fathers? [Re: nodog]
Backstrapcrazy
6 Point

Loc: powell , Tennessee

content Online
His Fore Fathers live in Kenya!
#3211065 - 04/02/13 05:04 AM Re: Wonder if Obama would listen to his fore fathers? [Re: Backstrapcrazy]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Backstrapcrazy
His Fore Fathers live in Kenya!

True, or at least some other country besides the U.S.A.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Crappie Luck, Tennessee Todd, RUGER, Unicam, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (TNtrapper, buklovr, Backstrapcrazy, lung-buster, TNOutdoorCo, krazykarl_13, 11 invisible) and 105 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91577 Topics
1070475 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.096 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.