Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#2922098 - 08/27/12 01:02 PM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: holstonangler]
fairchaser
8 Point

Loc: TN, USA

content Online
 Originally Posted By: holstonangler
Its more gravity affecting the arrow drop than the actual distance, shooting at downward angles has less gravitational effect on the arrow than shooting horizonally. Thats why there's a difference when shooting high out a treestand as opposed to shooting at ground level.

I think it is because it is a shorter distance than the other leg of the triangle.

#2926166 - 08/30/12 10:07 AM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: fairchaser]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

content Online
 Originally Posted By: fairchaser
Hey Rubberduck:
If you drop an arrow at the same height at the same time that you shoot an arrow will they hit the ground at the same time just like a bullet?

Yes, provided the arrow is shot horizontally.

Originally Posted By: fairchaser
 Originally Posted By: holstonangler
Its more gravity affecting the arrow drop than the actual distance, shooting at downward angles has less gravitational effect on the arrow than shooting horizonally. Thats why there's a difference when shooting high out a treestand as opposed to shooting at ground level.

I think it is because it is a shorter distance than the other leg of the triangle.

I don't understand what he's saying 100% but I think I know what he's referring to. By shooting at a downward angle gravity is helping your arrow accelerate towards your target, thus affecting the speed of your arrow rather than it's flight path. So, if you were shooting straight down, gravity would have no affect on where your arrow would hit (i.e. no affect on it's flight path) but rather just help speed it along. So in a sense he is correct, at steeper angles gravity's effects on the arrows flight path is lessened. Fairchaiser, you are also correct in saying that it is because of the shorter horizontal distance because the steeper the angle you are shooting downward, the shorter the horizontal distance your target is from you.

#2953465 - 09/22/12 11:27 PM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: Rubberduck270]
cmoses
4 Point

Loc: Cottontown

[censored] I got a headache reading this
#2953592 - 09/23/12 07:49 AM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: fairchaser]
soshock1
4 Point

Loc: Columbia, TN

Rubberduck, now if you could just solve the nation's oil problems we would appreciate it. Great answer! Learned something myself too.
#3177261 - 02/26/13 06:09 PM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: soshock1]
Crovus
Spike

Loc: Covington tenn

i cant even spell maf

Dont hate me for deer hunting hate me cause Im gonna eat what I kill.

#3208033 - 03/29/13 06:19 PM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: Crovus]
SCAT
6 Point

Loc: ANDERSON CO.

Basically, if the shot is less than a 40-45 degree angle you should be ok. Where it really plays a role is when you are shooting straight down and steep angles. During opening week of bow, I shot a coyote that came from behind me. I heard something coming and aimed the crossbow over the side of my ladder stand. The coyote appeared less than 10 feet from my tree. I aimed straight down at the mid portion of its' back and the bolt blew thru its' neck. The only way to prepare for different angles and shots is to practice from your stand, using the exact equipment you will be hunting with. I typically take a cardboard box 1 foot square and 6 inches thick, and fill it with sheets of cardboard and tape it shut. You can use the broadhead over and over, even if it gets dull. It'll still fly the same. Have someone move the box around for you. BTW, the newer rangefinders have angle compensation built in.

#3208052 - 03/29/13 06:42 PM Re: Setting CrossBow Scope Questions [Re: SCAT]
Frank G
8 Point

Loc: Hardin Co, TN Pickwick Lake

Don’t even consider the effect of gravity on a shaft, the calculations are mind-boggling. Best to test sight in your multi reticle. Use a good range finder to set distances from your stand and trust the reticle graduations. I “0” mine at 20, move back to 30 drop one graduation, step back to 40 drop to two below “0” etc out to 50, any further then that is a “crap” shoot unless conditions at perfect. If there is an odd yardage “say” 35 just split the difference and send it. The optic engineers are good at setting up scopes, all manufactures spend $$$$$$$$ getting these correct. I tried a friend’s multi red dot. Don’t bother with one of that design, I’ll take line graduations anytime

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
132 registered (Beardendy88, junebugwapiti, McCoy, botta, Hill Country Hunter, in the dog house!, 14 invisible) and 168 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95815 Topics
1121806 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.078 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.