I am just now joining this conversation. This point may have been made already, but I am libertarian enough to say I really don't care what people do, to a point. I will say it will never happen in a church I belong to. But I do think that gays should try to get their benefits the old fashioned way by going through Congress, instead of the courts. Abortion was a "right" established by the courts and not by the people, and look where we are on it 40 years later. The same thing is going to happen if gay benefits associated with marriage are ordered by court decree.

I don't take comfort in saying this, but I do think homosexuality may have a genetic link. Why it would be adaptive, I haven't a clue. But I just don't see every aspect of it as completely a lifestyle choice. If so, it is only a matter of time before it can be identified prenatally. That is when we will see the perfect liberal storm. Parents will then have a "choice". The progressives will lose it when parents start aborting potentially gay children.

For the record, I am strongly opposed to abortion, but not necessarily opposed to a legal arrangement between any adults. I'm just not going to go Orwellian and call it marriage, because it isn't. Marriage is a religious and biological relationship between a man and a woman. Always has been, always will be. If gays, or any group, wants government acknowledgement, do it the right way and don't bypass we, the people. They will be better off in the long run.

-Thomas Jefferson