Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3205780 - 03/27/13 06:13 PM Things I learned from winter cameras
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Normally I donít let the cameras run past mid to late January, but this year all of the cameras (most on food plots, but two on traditional scrapes) ran until last weekend (3/24). I found some interesting things in the 2,000+ pictures each camera recorded since late December:

The first buck to drop an antler was on January 28th. Yearling bucks dropped much earlier than older bucks. Pictures indicated scattered yearling antlers dropping at different times during February and March. By late March, most yearling bucks had lost their antlers, but nearly every buck 2 1/2+ still had their antlers.

The bucks grouped up into male bachelor groups just after the season ended. Pictures indicated groups of bucks feeding in food plots by mid-January. Cameras caught two sets of pictures where at least 7 bucks were feeding together (of all different ages, even yearlings).

Some bucks have weirdly timed patterns. One very large 9-point buck showed up on camera between the 8th and 12th of the month in every month from November through March.

Bucks never stopped working the overhanging limb of big, traditional scrapes. Bucks sniffed and licked the overhanging limbs even into March (and will probably continue through all months).

For whatever reason (probably a doe unable to conceive that kept coming back into estrus every 28-30 days), I got pictures of two big surges in bucks chasing does in late January (18th to 22nd) and in February (again, the 18th to 22nd).

I've always wondered and many people have asked about bucks they see/photograph on their property all summer but suddenly vanish once velvet sheds. When do these bucks return to the property? Winter, spring, summer...? On my place this year, they returned mid to late January. The lazt pictures I had of these buckswere around September 8th as their velvet was shedding. Got the next pictures of those bucks around January 15th.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3205788 - 03/27/13 06:19 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Very interesting data, thanks for sharing

#3205793 - 03/27/13 06:25 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: BSK]
geezer
6 Point

Loc: To the right of the mississipp...

Interesting.... I had a bachelor group I watched all summer that consisted of two mature bucks and a young one maybe 2.5, If you saw one the others would follow. They split up around the first of November and then on the 6th of Dec. I started getting night time pics of them back together and did so for the next month until my cams got stolen and everyone started stomping around presumably looking for sheds. Hope the trio is back together this summer.
#3205903 - 03/27/13 08:32 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: geezer]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

BSK,

Do these pictures make you rethink the idea of 3.5 and 4.5 yo rut-weary bucks being the first to shed? If your older bucks were still carrying during the last week, when do they shed?

#3205916 - 03/27/13 08:40 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: WMAn]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

As always, great observations and information, thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3205923 - 03/27/13 08:44 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: catman529]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: catman529
Very interesting data, thanks for sharing
x2

Genesis 27:3

#3206165 - 03/28/13 07:36 AM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: WMAn
BSK,

Do these pictures make you rethink the idea of 3.5 and 4.5 yo rut-weary bucks being the first to shed?

Not really. I've seen too many examples of a particular older buck that had been observed agressively participating in the rut who dropped his antlers early. I still think heavy rut stress can produce early antler drop in individual bucks.

Quote:
If your older bucks were still carrying during the last week, when do they shed?

We usually see the brief scraping behavior associated with antlergenesis in mid-April, so I assume antlers all come off at that time. But numerous times turkey hunters on my property have witnessed bucks still carrying antlers in early April.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3206209 - 03/28/13 08:15 AM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: BSK]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Thanks for sharing. I have had the same observations of bucks grouping back up in mid January.
#3206369 - 03/28/13 10:29 AM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: Bayou Buck]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Tazewell

happy Online
Thanks for the info , Good and very useful as always,I have also learned alot this year.
The licking branch ,is one of the main ways Bucks and doe communicate,and sometimes without a rub or scrape around??
I have witnessed pretty much the same antler shed as you have
I have seen 3 or 4 bucks in a corn field every night,Last night..... No bucks just doe ..(or so I thought),they all shed pretty close to the same time.

#3206634 - 03/28/13 01:58 PM Re: Things I learned from winter cameras [Re: Good time Charlie]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie
The licking branch ,is one of the main ways Bucks and doe communicate,and sometimes without a rub or scrape around??

Basically, what appears to be occurring is that traditional scrapes are made under traditional licking branches. The licking branch is used year-round. The scrape is only a rut-season part of the communication sequence. But it is the licking branch that is the most important part. That sort of explains why scrapes rarely appear without a licking branch above (the licking branch comes first).

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
153 registered (FULLDRAWXX75, TNTomtaker01, tcuurry, Drop 4/5, 8up, BULL MOOSE, 14 invisible) and 239 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
98970 Topics
1163282 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.053 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.