Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3203976 - 03/25/13 11:51 PM Re: public land birds [Re: Poser]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

Listening is more important than calling to me. Allowing turkey to do things naturally is best on high pressured public land. Binoculars are very useful for locating birds. Get in front of them and let them work to you. Soft clucking and purring are signs of content birds. Mimic those and you have a good chance and less likely to scare them off. Lot's of birds that get called to move away rather than to aggressive calling.
#3203991 - 03/26/13 12:31 AM Re: public land birds [Re: tasaman]
TNRino
4 Point

Loc: Washington County, TN

Originally Posted By: tasaman
Listening is more important than calling to me. Allowing turkey to do things naturally is best on high pressured public land. Binoculars are very useful for locating birds. Get in front of them and let them work to you. Soft clucking and purring are signs of content birds. Mimic those and you have a good chance and less likely to scare them off. Lot's of birds that get called to move away rather than to aggressive calling.

X2

#3203992 - 03/26/13 12:31 AM Re: public land birds [Re: TNRino]
TNRino
4 Point

Loc: Washington County, TN

Just as with deer season your going to have more pressure on the weekends and early season. Do your homework with maps. I like to use Google Earth along with topographical maps. Wear good boots and get off the road.
#3204360 - 03/26/13 11:36 AM Re: public land birds [Re: TNRino]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

From my experience the best success on public land is later in the day. It seems the majority of hunters will leave by 9am, some will not even leave the road if they do not hear any vocalization.

I would limit decoy use and like mentioned before, listen to the birds if you find them and cater your calling to how they sound. Usually a less aggressive sequence is used, lots of feeding purrs, soft yelps...try to limit our cutting.

Public land birds are usually more quite than private land birds and they learn quick. So be prepared for a silent bird to come in.

Getting far off the road will usually work, if you are hunting a large track that offers that. East TN should offer that, so I would locate some high spots on a map and go there before sun up, listen and go from there. If you hear no sounds, revert back to your map and locate the largest flat spots and head there and be prepared to wait. I would make a set up, give a few sequences of soft calling and wait about 30 mins or so. Then move to another flat a couple hundred yards away, but wait 15 mins after your last sequence to move, just in case a silent bird is coming in.

That tactic is what I call aggressive on public land, it can do more damage than good sometimes. It can educate the birds, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3204633 - 03/26/13 03:34 PM Re: public land birds [Re: Poser]
tickweed
10 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

content Online
public land doesnt bother me. Knowing how to hunt a turkey is the main factor. Lots of people will be gone by 9am anyhow, after the early gobblin has stopped. Let em get out of the way, then start your hunt.

#3204943 - 03/26/13 08:31 PM Re: public land birds [Re: tickweed]
Relentless
4 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Be safe.

Last year trying to close the gap on a gobbler on public property, I found myself belly-crawling behind my Jake decoy though the tall grass and mud.

Killed the bird, but later thought that was not the safest move to make. I got excited and went for the bird, but could have easily crawled up on another hunter.

All things to consider when hunting on property with competition, I mean fellow hunters.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Snake, tickweed, Tn Joe, rem270, BAMA BOW MERKER, leader, 10 invisible) and 110 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90949 Topics
1062781 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.07 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.