Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3200478 - 03/22/13 10:16 AM Re: Turkey hunters [Re: AT Hiker]
wgmac
4 Point

Loc: TN,Wilson Co.

Okay now i am very excited. Got up early and went to scout some more. From 6:30 to 8:30 not a sign or sound. Then on about the 15th field i checked their they were! Must have been 30 turkey and 4 deer, it was awesome. 4 of the turkey were all fluffed up and strut'n. I wanted to hear them gobble so i tryed a little calling, but nothing. Then the deer started coming to me. They came with in 10 yards of me and i could feel my self shaking. After that i tryed calling agian, and nothing. So i figured i would just sneak out of there as not to spook them. As i stood up and backed out i noticed 2 toms i hadn't seen coming strait at me from the corner of the field i wasn't watching. I have never had so much fun in the woods with out a weapon in my hand. So just a couple of questions. Will those turkey more than likely use that same field tomorrow, and do you think they were moving late due to the cloud cover this morning?
#3201124 - 03/22/13 09:16 PM Re: Turkey hunters [Re: wgmac]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Turkeys move all day, they just seem to hang around one area longer sometimes if they dont have a reason to leave.

They will likely be in the same area tomorrow, as long as you or no one else spooked them. Look at google earth and try to find locations around the field you seen them in, then try to fin a high spot and be there in the morning. Look for "funnels" that may draw them to that field or other areas they might check out after they leave that field.

Like I mentioned before, public land birds and birds in general this time of year seem to come in silent like those did to you. So be ready.

Also be careful about calling to them when you are not hunting them, they can become call shy very quickly.

If I were you I would do exactly what you did this morning, it seemed to work for ya.

Lets us know how it turns out tomorrow. Good luck!

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

#3202374 - 03/24/13 11:29 AM Re: Turkey hunters [Re: AT Hiker]
wgmac
4 Point

Loc: TN,Wilson Co.

Well I would like to thank everyone for their help. I tryed to put all of your advice in action and wow! What a morning. We had 3 gobblers working from 3 different directions. It was pretty awesome and my son was super excited. UNTIL!!! Like i was warned, at 8:30 we had one coming across the field beautifully. Then a guy and his son walked up from one corner of the field and he ran off to the woods. I was pretty upset about the interuption in the hunt but on public land you get that alot. We stayed for about another hour but didn't hear anything more after that. I will have to say that from all of your advise you really helped make my son and I's first turkey hunt far more productive than i thought it was going to be. We didn't bag a turkey, but i am counting it as a sucsess. Once agian Thankyou all very much. I have really been trying to get him out hunting with me more and after sat. morning he can't wait to get back out there.

Edited by wgmac (03/24/13 11:59 AM)

#3202725 - 03/24/13 06:26 PM Re: Turkey hunters [Re: wgmac]
AT Hiker
6 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee

Glad you and your son had a blast, truly a success.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
-John Muir

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (Tnmike, LettemWalk, cuppedup50, JoshDosMil, rghill, EJ1) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.